ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

1825 day naturalisation minimum for EU citizens?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Traveller353
Newly Registered

1825 day naturalisation minimum for EU citizens?

Post by Traveller353 » Sat May 29, 2021 2:55 pm

Hello team, grateful for any insight or experience of successful naturalisation applications by EU citizens who meet all requirements, including 5 years residence and one year’s continuous residence pre-application, but due to extensive non-work travels in prior years have not been in the country anywhere near 1825 days. I understand for EU citizens there’s no need to calculate 1825 days reckonable residence, so I am hoping it wont be an issue. Any guidance sincerely appreciated.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: 1825 day naturalisation minimum for EU citizens?

Post by Vorona » Sat May 29, 2021 3:44 pm

Wrong. All applicants must meet the same residency criteria and must give details of all absences of 42 days or longer in any year of residence. Calculator is for convenience of non-EU applicants.

As a British, you will be a non EU applicant anyway, so this does not really make any difference for you.

Traveller353
Newly Registered

Post by Traveller353 » Sat May 29, 2021 4:21 pm

Thanks so much for the quick reply Vorona. That is clear and much appreciated.

I understand there is a still an element of discretion in deciding applications and I would be really interested in any feedback or experience from you or other members of the chances of a resident with 365 days continuous residence succeeding with less than 1825 days physical residence, if all other requirements are met and the application is accompanied by a polite cover letter putting one’s best foot forward.

Thank you 🙏

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Sat May 29, 2021 9:54 pm

Traveller353 wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 4:21 pm
I understand there is a still an element of discretion in deciding applications and I would be really interested in any feedback or experience from you or other members of the chances of a resident with 365 days continuous residence succeeding with less than 1825 days physical residence, if all other requirements are met and the application is accompanied by a polite cover letter putting one’s best foot forward.

You can do so, but you might end up having your application rejected due to lack of residence and/or long absences. This topic has been covered on this forum many times. Generally, if you spent long periods of time outside of Ireland, it is strongly advisable to wait the same number of days to cover up for the absences. Otherwise, your application can be rejected during initial assessment.

Traveller353
Newly Registered

Post by Traveller353 » Mon May 31, 2021 6:08 pm

Thank you very much Vorona. This makes sense and you have explained the position clearly.