ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How exactly does someone with pre-settled status apply for settled status?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mulder
Germany

How exactly does someone with pre-settled status apply for settled status?

Post by mulder » Sun May 30, 2021 9:43 pm

Those of you who already held pre-settled status at the time you applied for settled status, how exactly did you do it? I found the website a bit confusing. Here is what I tried:

(1) Clicked on "Start now" on this page and it gave me two options:
- Prove your identity
- Sign in
(2) Clicked on "Sign in" (because I assumed I don't need to prove my identity since they already have me on record) and saw the following two options:
- Upload new evidence to your recently submitted applications
- Apply for something else
(3) Clicked on "Apply for something else" (I though I need a new application to apply for settled status, since that already submitted application was about my pre-settled status)

(4) Selected "Settled status" on GovUK and it took me back to (1).

(5) So it left we no choice but to click on "Upload new evidence" in (2) and this is what I saw after clicking:
What type of evidence are you uploading?

Choose one at a time. You will be able to upload other types of evidence later.

- My residence evidence
- Relationship evidence
- Photograph of myself (only provide this if we have asked you to upload a new photograph)
- My EU, EEA or Swiss national family member's residence evidence (only provide this if you are not an EU, EEA or Swiss national)
- My EU, EEA or Swiss national family member's identity document (only provide this if you are not an EU, EEA or Swiss national)
- Evidence I am dependent on my family member
- Evidence I have retained rights
This "new evidence to your recently submitted applications" list doesn't look right to me. My pre-settled status application was resolved years ago. I thought I'd need a new application for settled status.

Am I on the right path to apply for settled status?

Bazinga_

Re: How exactly does someone with pre-settled status apply for settled status?

Post by Bazinga_ » Sun May 30, 2021 10:29 pm

mulder wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:43 pm
Those of you who already held pre-settled status at the time you applied for settled status, how exactly did you do it? I found the website a bit confusing. Here is what I tried:

(1) Clicked on "Start now" on this page and it gave me two options:
- Prove your identity
- Sign in
(2) Clicked on "Sign in" (because I assumed I don't need to prove my identity since they already have me on record) and saw the following two options:
- Upload new evidence to your recently submitted applications
- Apply for something else
(3) Clicked on "Apply for something else" (I though I need a new application to apply for settled status, since that already submitted application was about my pre-settled status)

(4) Selected "Settled status" on GovUK and it took me back to (1).

(5) So it left we no choice but to click on "Upload new evidence" in (2) and this is what I saw after clicking:
What type of evidence are you uploading?

Choose one at a time. You will be able to upload other types of evidence later.

- My residence evidence
- Relationship evidence
- Photograph of myself (only provide this if we have asked you to upload a new photograph)
- My EU, EEA or Swiss national family member's residence evidence (only provide this if you are not an EU, EEA or Swiss national)
- My EU, EEA or Swiss national family member's identity document (only provide this if you are not an EU, EEA or Swiss national)
- Evidence I am dependent on my family member
- Evidence I have retained rights
This "new evidence to your recently submitted applications" list doesn't look right to me. My pre-settled status application was resolved years ago. I thought I'd need a new application for settled status.

Am I on the right path to apply for settled status?
I haven’t done it yet so keen to see how you get on but my understanding is that you are starting a fresh application and not ‘signing in’.

“The application to convert pre-settled status to settled status is much like a fresh application that involves completing three key steps:
Prove identity;
Show UK residence; and
Declare any criminal convictions.

You will need to repeat the process to verify your identity, this means either using the app to scan your identity document or sending it by post.“

secret.simon

Re: How exactly does someone with pre-settled status apply for settled status?

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:06 am

As I understand it, you don't apply for either Pre-settled Status or Settled Status.

You apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. Then, based on the evidence you submitted and based on the information found on their systems about how long you have resided in the UK, the Home Office will decide whether to grant you Pre-Settled Status or Settled Status.

In a sense, it is not your choice which status you get. It is a choice made by the Home Office caseworker, based on the evidence submitted by you and on the information the Home Office has on you.

If you disagree with your status, apply again (it's free) with more updated information and documentation.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.