ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Foirus
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Foirus » Mon May 24, 2021 9:59 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:10 am
Foirus wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 5:35 pm
After receiving a notice of receipt of my application from the FBR office on Jul 4th, 2019, I heard nothing further. Today I did an extensive search in my deleted, spam and archived email files and found a message from Oct 2020 asking for clarification of certain items of information and indicating that no reply within 28 days would result in my application being returned to me. I have not had my application package returned. I did immediately respond to the email via email, however, I do not know if anyone monitors that email address. Some of the info they requested would not have been available since all government offices in Ohio were closed for COVID.

I plan to attempt to answer their inquiries but it may take some time. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do at this point? Thanks.
Foirus, maybe you can contact the passport office via chat. Sometimes they are available but no guarantees. Anyone else have a suggestion?
I keep looking at the Chat page but it is never open for Chats. I suspect I need to look from midnight until 0730 here in the Pacific Standard Time zone to coincide with their office hours. Time to set my alarm for an early morning wakeup!! Thanks.

erin217
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by erin217 » Tue May 25, 2021 3:03 pm

It appears the FBR office might be slowly working on our applications! I received the address confirmation email this morning, but this is actually my second address confirmation. They sent me one back in Dec 14, 2020, which I immediately responded to. Both times, I confirmed that my address hasn't changed. For a timeline perspective, I submitted my FBR application in Sept 2019 and hadn't heard anything until the Dec 2020 email. Crossing my fingers this is a good sign! :)

Fbrlad
Aruba

Post by Fbrlad » Tue May 25, 2021 7:28 pm

Good to see a progress - although it’s obvious that someone runs through the system where only approval need to be processed as all documents are in the office hence the lack of real work. Im around your time but never got anything (my Application is straight forward and doesnt require verification due to the age of father where all documents are intact etc).

Leo said offices expect to return in sep but many offices already back (example driving licence office) however seems fbr is all political (due to Brexit!)..

Long live the irish laziness :)

V3rvangen
Newly Registered

Post by V3rvangen » Wed May 26, 2021 9:44 am

I notice on other threads here that people waiting for naturalisation for extended periods have sent legal notices asking for a decision on their application within a certain time-frame, or have sent freedom of information requests on the status of their application.
I don't know if that is an option for our situation? I don't expect or necessarily want a result quickly, but it would be nice to know the reasons why the Irish government have determined that other government services can resume, but the fBR office must remain closed perhaps until August. Such a poorly organised and inconsistent treatment of people who have paid several hundred euros up to 2 years ago is surely just opening itself up for legal challenge.

miles_from_anywhere
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by miles_from_anywhere » Wed May 26, 2021 11:32 am

Hey there everyone! I hope you are all doing well? I have just come across this forum, but this was after applying online for my FBR - I have an Application number and all the documents ready to go (plus paid the fee)

What is your advice on the documents? Should I hold on to them? The site says not to send any documents at this time. Also there is no phone or webchat to ask any questions

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed May 26, 2021 2:40 pm

erin217 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 3:03 pm
It appears the FBR office might be slowly working on our applications! I received the address confirmation email this morning, but this is actually my second address confirmation. They sent me one back in Dec 14, 2020, which I immediately responded to. Both times, I confirmed that my address hasn't changed. For a timeline perspective, I submitted my FBR application in Sept 2019 and hadn't heard anything until the Dec 2020 email. Crossing my fingers this is a good sign! :)
Oooh..this is interesting. Another Dec 14th address email person like me. I'd love to get this too. I did resend my initial Dec 14th address confirmation about a month ago. Willdoso every month now
Best of luck erin217 and keep us updated if it arrives!

jgclancy

4thGENFBR
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by 4thGENFBR » Wed May 26, 2021 9:19 pm

Long time lurker on this forum. It has kept me sane and given me hope over the many many months of waiting without any means of knowing what is happening behind the scenes.

FINALLY received the email today (26.05.2021) that my twin daughters have been added to the register! To help others feel that the glacier is still moving I thought I would contribute my first and hopefully last post.

My daughters are now 4th Generation FBR holders. The process has been as follows:

Applied online 22.06.2019
Email confirming documents received 08.07.2019
Clarification email received 06.10.2020
Clarification email received 17.12.2020
Added to register 26.05.2021

Now just waiting for certificates to be printed and all my original documents plus certificates to be sent back. They have provided a tracking number and stated they should arrive in a week or so.

The hurdles experienced:

- for those born in South Africa - they do not accept any older versions of birth certificates (I think older than 10 years). You will need to get a new unabridged computerised version. They gave 28 days for me to supply this document which for those who know how SA government departments work would know that this is an almost impossible task coupled with the fact I don't live there (we currently live in the UK) and we are in the middle of a global pandemic, I thought this was the big snake in snakes and ladders and I was all the way back to the beginning. I expressed my anxiety to the FBR worker and comfortingly she expressed she "could not promise but if I provided regular updates on progress she would see what could be done to not return the application". After some research I found an experienced company that assists with obtaining the document in SA and unbelievably obtained it and sent as fast as I could to Ireland (whilst providing weekly updates). I didn't make the 28 day cut-off by 2 weeks however fortunately the pandemic closures helped me here as they had left the office for another lockdown in November 2020 so by the time they had come back December 2020 it was waiting for them.

- send your marriage certificate - even if it has no correlation to a name change, or links in no other way to your children. I didn't send mine because when I asked the FBR help line prior to application they said it wasn't necessary. However, the person on my file wanted it because it "helps build a picture". Maybe they can see that the person I am married to is the same as the mother on my daughters birth certificate. I don't know.

- they asked for proof of address - this was just email confirmation that I have not moved in the years since application which is a fair request.

After supplying all the above, they then send a final request two months later, please send updated photographs of my daughters! Granted they were 6 months when I started and now 2 years so completely different. I still don't get the full point as to why this is required when in a few years time they would have morphed again. I also exclaimed as to why ask me now and not in the first round of "clarifications". They mentioned that they needed to be satisfied with all documents first before they ask for updated photographs to not add more unnecessary cost if the application failed (fair dues). I obeyed their request diligently.

Good luck to all those still in the queue!

Laurie9434

Post by Laurie9434 » Sat May 29, 2021 6:09 am

Hi Everyone!
I received my FBR 2 years ago. Mine took 12 months. First, I am SO incredibly sorry for the unbelievable Covid hurdle you have all had to deal with it. After gathering all the necessary documents... a process on its own...to have to wait so long. Hang in there, this has to end eventually, I hope.

2nd) is there a separate thread for applying for a first time passport? If anyone can help with that, I’d so appreciate it!! Thank you in advance!!

Again, everyone hang in there... my sympathies to you all!! Best of luck!

Laurie

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Sat May 29, 2021 3:42 pm

Laurie9434 wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 6:09 am
Hi Everyone!
I received my FBR 2 years ago. Mine took 12 months. First, I am SO incredibly sorry for the unbelievable Covid hurdle you have all had to deal with it. After gathering all the necessary documents... a process on its own...to have to wait so long. Hang in there, this has to end eventually, I hope.

2nd) is there a separate thread for applying for a first time passport? If anyone can help with that, I’d so appreciate it!! Thank you in advance!!

Again, everyone hang in there... my sympathies to you all!! Best of luck!

Laurie
I got my first passport last year after receiving my FBR certificate. It was all very easy. I got a local solicitor to witness my application, cost about £15. I sent it the same day and I actually had my new passport in hand in about 2 weeks. Couldn’t believe how quick it was. This was back in September 2020. Feel very lucky.

spencer936
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by spencer936 » Sat May 29, 2021 4:35 pm

Hello everyone!

Recent finder of this forum and loving it - helps me not feel alone..

I have applied for the FBR, since my grandfather was born on the island of ireland in 1927. However, it has just dawned on me that since he was born in Northern Ireland and entitled to an irish citizenship rather than automatically given one, and given I dont know whether he did or not (though likely he did not), am I still qualified to apply for the FBR? On the website it says "you may be entitled to irish citizenship if your grand parent was born on the island of Ireland" but never mentioned whether they (he) would have had to claim irish citizenship or not, or whether just that he was irish and was subsequently entitled to citizenship qualifies me. Similarly, however, it states my parent (born outside of ireland) was an irish citizen without referencing that she too could only be one if her parent (father) claimed his citizenship.

Anyone have a similar situation?

Also, i recently emailed fbr.urgentqueries@dfa.ie to ask about whether they received my documents since I sent in July 2020 but had no news as to whether it was actuall received, let alone in processing. They responded with:

The processing of FBR applications has been paused due to COVID-19 restrictions. Prior to this pause, there was a delay of twelve to eighteen months in processing FBR applications, due to the effect of the operation of previous restrictions, as well as a very high volume of applications received due to the departure of the United Kingdom from the European Union. A timeframe for the resumption of FBR processing is not currently available. When the FBR service resumes, applications will be processed in strict order of receipt. Your documents were received in July 2020. While they await checking for entitlement, applications and their associated documents are securely stored. You will be contacted when your application is being processed.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sat May 29, 2021 5:46 pm

spencer936 wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 4:35 pm
Hello everyone!

I have applied for the FBR, since my grandfather was born on the island of ireland in 1927. However, it has just dawned on me that since he was born in Northern Ireland and entitled to an irish citizenship rather than automatically given one, and given I dont know whether he did or not (though likely he did not), am I still qualified to apply for the FBR? On the website it says "you may be entitled to irish citizenship if your grand parent was born on the island of Ireland" but never mentioned whether they (he) would have had to claim irish citizenship or not, or whether just that he was irish and was subsequently entitled to citizenship qualifies me. Similarly, however, it states my parent (born outside of ireland) was an irish citizen without referencing that she too could only be one if her parent (father) claimed his citizenship.

Also, i recently emailed fbr.urgentqueries@dfa.ie to ask about whether they received my documents since I sent in July 2020 but had no news as to whether it was actuall received, let alone in processing. They responded with:

The processing of FBR applications has been paused due to COVID-19 restrictions. Prior to this pause, there was a delay of twelve to eighteen months in processing FBR applications, due to the effect of the operation of previous restrictions, as well as a very high volume of applications received due to the departure of the United Kingdom from the European Union. A timeframe for the resumption of FBR processing is not currently available. When the FBR service resumes, applications will be processed in strict order of receipt. Your documents were received in July 2020. While they await checking for entitlement, applications and their associated documents are securely stored. You will be contacted when your application is being processed.
You can get citizenship by descent....born on the island of Ireland covers both The Republic of Ireland & NI

jgclancy

spencer936
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by spencer936 » Sat May 29, 2021 5:52 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 5:46 pm
spencer936 wrote:
Hello everyone!

You can get citizenship by descent....born on the island of Ireland covers both The Republic of Ireland & NI

jgclancy
Hi JGClancy,

Were you in the same situation and have you been granted admission on to the registry?

spencer936
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by spencer936 » Sat May 29, 2021 6:02 pm

kmosfet wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:26 pm
circlethewagons12 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:28 am
Hello,

I am just looking for some clarifications on one major thing, I am currently a Canadian Citizen (My father was also born in Canada) but my grandfather was born in Northern Ireland in 1927 - Do I qualify for Irish Citizenship? From everything I'm reading I believe I do - is this correct?
Hey!

Canadian here. My grandfather was also born in NI. I've been able to successfully get my Irish citizenship and passport without any prejudice or issues in that regards.

Good luck!
Hi Kmosfet,

Thats great news, since I am in the exact same position as circlethewagons12, both in terms of the date of my grand fathers birthday (1927!!!) and second guessing myself haha. I guess my question is whether your grandfather, kmosfet, formally requested irish citizenship (to your knowledge) or whether he was just born in northern ireland and just was irish and therefore so are you..

Thanks!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sun May 30, 2021 2:19 am

spencer936 wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 5:52 pm
jgclancy wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 5:46 pm
spencer936 wrote:
Hello everyone!

jgclancy
Hi JGClancy,

Were you in the same situation and have you been granted admission on to the registry?
Alas....On Dec 14th,2020 they said I would be done when I confirmed my address hadn't changed. I did but it was all shut down then.Just waiting for certificate for 5 months+ now. My maternal grandparents were from Roscommon not NI. You're fine though.

jgclancy

spencer936
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by spencer936 » Mon May 31, 2021 2:13 pm

Dear jgclancy,

Okay, i am hoping they do not have a change of policy somehow!

Thanks for your reassurance.

Spencer

msry5cw2
Newly Registered

Post by msry5cw2 » Mon May 31, 2021 8:30 pm

Just had an email asking for address confirmation.. :o .. (it went into my junk box - soo glad I checked )

Applied in July 2019.

Fbrlad
Aruba

Post by Fbrlad » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:02 am

msry5cw2 wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 8:30 pm
Just had an email asking for address confirmation.. :o .. (it went into my junk box - soo glad I checked )

Applied in July 2019.
Congratulations!! Seems like they are processing only final approvals (where no document handling is happening). At least we sniff work progress. Nowadays I keep my eyes on junk mail (albeit hectic due to amount of spam).

spicer93
Newly Registered

Post by spicer93 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:30 am

Yesterday I also received my address confirmation email from DFA. I applied in September 2019 - looks like they're clearing the backlog again now. :)

Nodrick
Newly Registered

Post by Nodrick » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:38 am

so my timeline is still as below

Application submitted online: 15 May 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documents (Balbriggan): 29 May 2019
Confirmation of address email: 14 December 2020
Date added to FBR: Awaiting
Congrats email: Awaiting
FBR certificate received: Awaiting

Was frustrating before the last lockdown when people who applied 3 months ahead of me were registered and certificates received, and frustrating now when others are seemingly getting answers.....
Seems I am with the slow team..... (Team 1)

I've replied again to my 12 December confirmation email with an explanation that i was checking it was received by them due to lockdown.

Fingers crossed something happens soon....

Luna2019
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Luna2019 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:54 am

Hi everyone. I'm glad to hear that maybe there is some progress. Here's where I am at:

Application submitted online and email acknowledging receipt of documents: August 2019
Confirmation of address email: 21 December 2020

So it's been quite a while since I received the confirmation of address email. I see some people who applied in July 2019 are receiving these emails for a second time now. I hope that happens for me and others soon.

Many thanks for this message board.

LA8887

Post by LA8887 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:06 pm

4thGENFBR wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:19 pm

- for those born in South Africa - they do not accept any older versions of birth certificates (I think older than 10 years). You will need to get a new unabridged computerised version. They gave 28 days for me to supply this document which for those who know how SA government departments work would know that this is an almost impossible task coupled with the fact I don't live there (we currently live in the UK) and we are in the middle of a global pandemic, I thought this was the big snake in snakes and ladders and I was all the way back to the beginning. I expressed my anxiety to the FBR worker and comfortingly she expressed she "could not promise but if I provided regular updates on progress she would see what could be done to not return the application". After some research I found an experienced company that assists with obtaining the document in SA and unbelievably obtained it and sent as fast as I could to Ireland (whilst providing weekly updates).
Who did you go through to get the birth certificate? I was born in SA to British parents so I have both an SA certificate and a British consulate one, but they're both handwritten so they refused to give me a passport. I ordered a new copy of my UK cert but it's just a certified copy of the handwritten one and they won't computerise it, so I think my only option now is to get the SA one. I'm not an SA citizen so I'm not sure if I can use the DHA-154 form or not. I've downloaded it anyway and have been calling the South African High Commission in Whitehall but no one ever picks up the phone. It's so frustrating and it's almost made me completely lose hope in the idea of ever getting a passport, and I've wasted the best part of £500 in getting this far. It's soul destroying :cry:

bm5
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by bm5 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:12 pm

Nodrick wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:38 am

Was frustrating before the last lockdown when people who applied 3 months ahead of me were registered and certificates received, and frustrating now when others are seemingly getting answers.....

I've replied again to my 12 December confirmation email with an explanation that i was checking it was received by them due to lockdown.

How do you know what Team you’re with and are you just basing their pace off of responses seen here?

Applied in Dec 2019, new to the forum :)

bm5
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by bm5 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:12 pm

Nodrick wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:38 am

How do you know what Team you’re with and are you just basing their pace off of responses seen here?

Nodrick
Newly Registered

Post by Nodrick » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:18 pm

bm5 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:12 pm

On my confirmation of address it references the team

circlethewagons12
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by circlethewagons12 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:34 pm

I'm really hoping the offices will open up soon as well, My soon to be wife and I were planning on moving to Dublin in September of this year for a new adventure and when I applied for my FBR in August 2019, I got an email confirmation saying it would take 6 months to process, So we thought 2021 would be plenty of time - Oh boy were we ever wrong.

She has been accepted into a Masters program at DCU and has deferred the acceptance a year hoping we will now be able to move to Dublin in Sept 2022 - I know patience is important but I'm really getting frustrated/nervous with the situation.

Here is my timeline once again:

Application Submitted online: July 30/2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documents (Balbriggan): August 20/2019
Confirmation of address email: Awaiting