ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship By Naturalisation, 6 week absence Rule

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Jaykub
Newly Registered
Slovakia

Citizenship By Naturalisation, 6 week absence Rule

Post by Jaykub » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:30 pm

Hello there,
I am filling out my application for citizenship by naturalisation in Ireland and the 6 week absence rule has me very worried. I'm originally from Slovakia and have I've lived in Ireland for over 16 years now.

The thing is that I've usually spent the summer in Slovakia with my grandparents because I didn't get to see them any other times during the year. This was usually for a period of 2 months or so and I am worried this might cause problems for me during the application.

Naturally because of COVID it wasn't possible in 2020 but from 2005 to about 2019 it was.

I'm pretty sure even if these absences are excluded my residence would add still add up to over 5 years in the past 9 but the proofs of residence I have really only covers 2021-2016. Since I was under 17 years old before then I wasn't getting much in the way of official documents addressed to me.

How likely is the 6 weeks absence rule to be an issue for me do you think?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Citizenship By Naturalisation, 6 week absence Rule

Post by littlerr » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:05 pm

Suppose if you apply today 4/6/2021.
You need to get:
- a full year of residence between 5/6/2020 and 4/6/2021 with less than 6 weeks absence (which I assume you do due to COVID restrictions);
- another 1461 days of residence between 5/6/2012 and 4/6/2020. You should have more than sufficient days even if you are absent for 2 months every year, as long as you can provide 3 proofs for each year that you claim.

You said you didn't have much proofs before 2016 because you were a teenager back then. This is unlikely to be accepted by INIS. You need to find proofs. Are you enrolled in a school or college? They should be able to issue you a letter stating your start and end date. Have you visited any GP? They should be able to issue you a letter stating your date of registration and attendance. You should also have a bank account, either on your own (e.g. teenager account) or as a named user (e.g. by your parents). You can also use medical bills and tuition fee bills. If you are registered with any local clubs, you should be able to get a letter from them as well.

Jaykub
Newly Registered
Slovakia

Post by Jaykub » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:15 pm

littlerr wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:05 pm
Suppose if you apply today 4/6/2021.
You need to get:
- a full year of residence between 5/6/2020 and 4/6/2021 with less than 6 weeks absence (which I assume you do due to COVID restrictions);
- another 1461 days of residence between 5/6/2012 and 4/6/2020. You should have more than sufficient days even if you are absent for 2 months every year, as long as you can provide 3 proofs for each year that you claim.

You said you didn't have much proofs before 2016 because you were a teenager back then. This is unlikely to be accepted by INIS. You need to find proofs. Are you enrolled in a school or college? They should be able to issue you a letter stating your start and end date. Have you visited any GP? They should be able to issue you a letter stating your date of registration and attendance. You should also have a bank account, either on your own (e.g. teenager account) or as a named user (e.g. by your parents). You can also use medical bills and tuition fee bills. If you are registered with any local clubs, you should be able to get a letter from them as well.
Hi thanks for the reply,

So if I understand you correctly provided that I can find some documents prior to 2016, say until about 2014, then I should be alright?

If I were to obtain a letter from my school/GP like you say that I attended for 6 years would that be sufficient as proof for each of those 6 years or would I need an individual letter for each year?

Also if I am struggling to find something would documents addressed to my parents but relating to me (eg. child benefit payments) also be valid proofs of residence?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:19 pm

So if I understand you correctly provided that I can find some documents prior to 2016, say until about 2014, then I should be alright?
Yes correct.

If I were to obtain a letter from my school/GP like you say that I attended for 6 years would that be sufficient as proof for each of those 6 years or would I need an individual letter for each year?
One letter is sufficient. Make sure you make some copies because INIS often asks you to submit the same letter multiple times.

Also if I am struggling to find something would documents addressed to my parents but relating to me (eg. child benefit payments) also be valid proofs of residence?
Yes they are valid proofs and they are considered strong proofs as they are issued by the government, so if you have them, you should definitely submit them.

Since part of the period you are covering is of independent means, and part of it is dependent on your parents, you should clearly mention this in a cover letter that which period you are dependent on your parents and which period you are independent.