ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizen - Irish Citizenship - Carers Allowance

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

returntotheuk
Ireland

British citizen - Irish Citizenship - Carers Allowance

Post by returntotheuk » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:28 pm

Hi Guys,

Can anyone advise? I can not seem to find any information about my circumstances.

I am coming up to 5 years living in Ireland, and I was thinking of applying for Irish citizenship. I have been working self employed part time since living in Ireland, and for the last few years, I have been receiving carer's allowance for taking care of my wife who became very ill with a rare disease and was put on disability.

I was wondering if it is still worth applying if I am likely to be refused because I receive carer's allowance? I do not want to spend money on fees and solicitors etc if I have little chance of gaining citizenship.

Thanks in advance

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: British citizen - Irish Citizenship - Carers Allowance

Post by littlerr » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:46 pm

In general, applicants are not supposed to use social welfare for at least 3 years before they apply for citizenship. However, if you have a strong argument as to why you are receiving it, you might still have a chance. There are a lot of examples who have received social welfare and got approved. (Equally there are a lot that were rejected.)

Ultimately, it's up to the Minister themselves to decide whether you should be exempt from the social welfare requirement. We don't really have much data on the new Minister (and the temporary Minister) so nobody knows how they will see your application. If you have some medical letters that can prove the severity of your wife's disease, you should still have a chance.

It's still a considerable amount of money for the citizenship though. 175 euro to apply for it and another 950 euro when approved. Is it really worth it when you already have British citizenship and you have already been exercising EU Treaty Rights before Brexit?

returntotheuk
Ireland

Re: British citizen - Irish Citizenship - Carers Allowance

Post by returntotheuk » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:15 pm

littlerr wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:46 pm
In general, applicants are not supposed to use social welfare for at least 3 years before they apply for citizenship. However, if you have a strong argument as to why you are receiving it, you might still have a chance. There are a lot of examples who have received social welfare and got approved. (Equally there are a lot that were rejected.)

Ultimately, it's up to the Minister themselves to decide whether you should be exempt from the social welfare requirement. We don't really have much data on the new Minister (and the temporary Minister) so nobody knows how they will see your application. If you have some medical letters that can prove the severity of your wife's disease, you should still have a chance.

It's still a considerable amount of money for the citizenship though. 175 euro to apply for it and another 950 euro when approved. Is it really worth it when you already have British citizenship and you have already been exercising EU Treaty Rights before Brexit?
Thanks for the quick reply, my wife is Non EU, she was working full time and then became very ill with a rare disease which has since caused her to have multiple problems to deal with including meningitis, pneumonia and many other symptoms. We also have 3 school aged children. My wife is in and out of hospital and is a regular outpatient, we have a 5 hour return trip to the Mater hospital in Dublin 3-4 times per month when she is not an inpatient. Unfortunately, at the moment I am not able to physically work more than I do as well as look after to my wife and children. We hope that may change in the future but who knows, I was just thinking that if I had Irish citizenship then it might be easier for her when she applies for permanent residency. We have been exercising EU Treaty Rights before Brexit.

Thanks