ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of employer - No Police Registration

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Suzzw
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Change of employer - No Police Registration

Post by Suzzw » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:16 pm

Hi all,

I was on a 3-year Tier 2 (General) visa with my job started in mid-2019, and I forgot to register with the police by then. I vaguely remember myself organising to do it, but in the end, I did not, possibly due to the late delivery of my BRP (I have emails on this matter).

Now I need to change my employer. And I am distraught that I did not register with the police will affect their decision. I accepted the offer in mid-April with the start date on 1st Jun and resigned from my previous role with the last employment date on 28th May. However, I did not get the CoS from my new employer until 21st May despite non-stop asking. Here is the timeline of events:

21st May: Submitted application, with the application fee and IHS for a 3-year visa, and super priority service paid (decision within 24 hours after biometrics appointment)
25th May: UKVCAS Biometrics appointment (I managed to get a Next day appointment)
26th May: UKVI asked to top-up the fees as the CoS was indeed for a 5-year one
28th May: All top-up fees transacted
28th May: UKVI asked for a valid copy of the Police Registration Certificate. I could not find it, and based on the very vague memory of myself having done it, I replied, telling them my PRC may have been misplaced as I have moved accommodation and asked for suggestions. I also immediately registered with the MET police (I live in London) using their new online portal. Still, their Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) is closed due to COVID-19, and the earliest available appointment in the system is in mid-Nov.
31st May: UKVI replied asking if I have evidence to demonstrate that I have previously registered for Police Registration and/or proof of correspondence with the OVRO. I started to look for all the records in my mailbox and concluded that it is possible that I did not register. I tried asking the MET police, and they said OVRO's email is the only point of contact in this matter. I sent an email to ask OVRO if they can arrange an earlier appointment or provide any documentation to prove that I am in the process of acquiring the PRC.
As I will not be able to start on 1st Jun anyway, I have notified my employer about that, and I will start the next day I receive the approval from UKVI.
1st June: No reply from OVRO. Although knowing that there is no guarantee that they will process enquiries any sooner, I decided to reply to UKVI and be honest about forgetting to register with the police, but I have already made the appointment for doing so and attached the appointment confirmation.

My new employer had called the UKVI and said they are confident that the visa should come through okay. But the warning on UKVI's website saying, "If you do not register, ....You can also be stopped from getting or extending a UK visa in future." really stresses me out.

Anyone has any insight on whether not having the PRC will affect the visa decision? Or is it just because the UKVI being strange and slow these days, as mentioned in another thread by other applicants?

(I tried referring to other threads on the police registration matter, but they usually have the problem solved by going to the local police station. I am afraid that is not the same for MET police from the info I gathered online, or does anyone else have the PRC issue solved by going to the police station in London?)

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Change of employer - No Police Registration

Post by manci » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:13 am

I think you did the right thing by telling UKVI that you forgot to register and sending them confirmation that you now have an appointment for the registration.

UKVI have a discretion deciding your change of employment visa application. The relevant clause in part 9 of the Immigration Rules is:

9.8.3. An application for permission to stay may be refused where a person has previously failed to comply with the conditions of their permission, unless permission has been granted in the knowledge of the previous breach.

Note that it is "may" not "must" and that the possibility of granting permission in the knowledge of a previous breach is mentioned.

Fingers crossed and for the benefit of others please update the forum on the outcome.
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

Suzzw
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by Suzzw » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:58 am

manci wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:13 am
I think you did the right thing by telling UKVI that you forgot to register and sending them confirmation that you now have an appointment for the registration.

UKVI have a discretion deciding your change of employment visa application. The relevant clause in part 9 of the Immigration Rules is:

9.8.3. An application for permission to stay may be refused where a person has previously failed to comply with the conditions of their permission, unless permission has been granted in the knowledge of the previous breach.

Note that it is "may" not "must" and that the possibility of granting permission in the knowledge of a previous breach is mentioned.

Fingers crossed and for the benefit of others please update the forum on the outcome.
Thank you so much for your response manci. Will definitely update here once I hear back from UKVI.

sophiezhou
Newly Registered
Mood:
China

Post by sophiezhou » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:59 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the post, I'm in the similar situation now that I need to change jobs and reapply for Tier2, however I forgot to register with police since Feb 2020. I have booked the earliest appointment in November and provided the confirmation to UKVI as well. My application is yet to be submit, but I'm really nervous, do you have any update about your visa?

Thank you so much!
Sophie

Suzzw
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by Suzzw » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:54 pm

Hi @sophiezhou,

I still haven't heard back from UKVI. :( Will definitely update here once I receive anything.

sophiezhou
Newly Registered
Mood:
China

Post by sophiezhou » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:59 am

Thank you! and fingers crossed you get approved!!

sophiezhou
Newly Registered
Mood:
China

Post by sophiezhou » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:49 pm

Hi,

Have you received any update yet?

Thank you!!

Suzzw
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by Suzzw » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:34 am

Hi all,

I have eventually received the decision from Home Office stating that my application has been successful this morning. *phew*

The decision arrived fairly late considering that I have used the super-priority service, but better late than never! However, it is unsure if the late decision is caused by my unable to provide the PRC or other factors. (It seems UKVI is quite overloaded these days according to my local MP, who enquired HO on my behalf.)

For the Police Registration bit, it seems that being honest and providing an OVRO appointment confirmation will get you through, at least in my case, given that you have fulfilled all other criteria for the application. The decision letter has also stated that "You must register with the police within 7 days of receiving this notice. Even if you have previously registered, you must do so again.".

So here it is. Good luck, everyone, and don't forget to register with the police!

sophiezhou
Newly Registered
Mood:
China

Post by sophiezhou » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:47 pm

Hi,

Thank you so much for the update and congrats!!! I have my biometric appointment tomorrow and will need to submit the documents, fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your helpful information!
Sophie