ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please help a confused person

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Miss A
Newly Registered

Urgent Please help!

Post by Miss A » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:50 pm

I have attempted to apply for naturalisation so many times but the problem of CSI is always holding me back, I made up my mind to apply by the end of the month.
My immigration history: I came to UK as a spouse of EU Citizen in 2010 with 6 month visa, I applied for family permit which was granted in 2011. I applied for permanent residence in 2016 but was refused because my husband was a student and he didn't have CSI, my husband told me to appeal which I did and I was given 2018 for court hearing. Between July 2016 and September 2017 I didn't apply for another permit as I was waiting for the court hearing, I applied for residence card October 2017 and it was granted on 18th of January 2018. We didn't win the appeal in March 2018.

My worry now is that will the period between 2016 and 2017 that I didn't apply for another resident permit affect my naturalisation, I was only worried about CSI before I remember this.

Please help!

Miss A
Newly Registered

Re: Urgent Please help!

Post by Miss A » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:24 pm

Miss A wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:50 pm
I have attempted to apply for naturalisation so many times but the problem of CSI is always holding me back, I made up my mind to apply by the end of the month.
My immigration history: I came to UK as a spouse of EU Citizen in 2010 with 6 month visa, I applied for family permit which was granted in 2011. I applied for permanent residence in 2016 but was refused because my husband was a student and he didn't have CSI, my husband told me to appeal which I did and I was given 2018 for court hearing. Between July 2016 and September 2017 I didn't apply for another permit as I was waiting for the court hearing, I applied for residence card October 2017 and it was granted on 18th of January 2018. We didn't win the appeal in March 2018.

My worry now is that will the period between 2016 and 2017 that I didn't apply for another resident permit affect my naturalisation, I was only worried about CSI before I remember this.

Please help!
Please help me.

Miss A
Newly Registered

Please help a confused person

Post by Miss A » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:21 am

Please help!

dexmo

Post by dexmo » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:26 pm

Miss A wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:50 pm

Please help!

I'm no lawyer so don't take this as a legal advice in any shape or form but from what I understand the question the case worker will be asking here is whether you residence between 2016 and 2018 was legal or not. I assume you had no residence card from when your permanent residence was refused until you got one in January 2018? As a spouse of an EU national from a legal point of view you had an automatic right of residence anyhow. The fact that you didn't have a document confirming this between 2016 and 2018 is just that - not having a document confirming an automatic right of residence in the UK. Your residence itself was still legal.

The fact that you were refused permanent residence is a different matter. As far as the law was concerned, because your husband was a student at the time and you were his spouse in order to be issued with a permanent residence card he would have had to demonstrate that he exercised EU treaty rights for a continuous period of 5 years and as a student that meant having CSI. So the Home Office was right to refuse and the Immigration Tribunal was right to dismiss your appeal. That didn't make your residence illegal and you were issued with a new residence card in January 2018.

Presumably you have your settled status now and have held it for 12 months or more? Two other requirements you have to meet but if so I think you should be fine. I would suggest though you put together a cover letter explaining what happened in 2016 etc and submit it with your supporting documents when you apply for naturalisation.

Miss A
Newly Registered

Post by Miss A » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:39 pm

dexmo wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:26 pm
I'm no lawyer so don't take this as a legal advice in any shape or form but from what I understand the question the case worker will be asking here is whether you residence between 2016 and 2018 was legal or not. I assume you had no residence card from when your permanent residence was refused until you got one in January 2018? As a spouse of an EU national from a legal point of view you had an automatic right of residence anyhow. The fact that you didn't have a document confirming this between 2016 and 2018 is just that - not having a document confirming an automatic right of residence in the UK. Your residence itself was still legal.

The fact that you were refused permanent residence is a different matter. As far as the law was concerned, because your husband was a student at the time and you were his spouse in order to be issued with a permanent residence card he would have had to demonstrate that he exercised EU treaty rights for a continuous period of 5 years and as a student that meant having CSI. So the Home Office was right to refuse and the Immigration Tribunal was right to dismiss your appeal. That didn't make your residence illegal and you were issued with a new residence card in January 2018.

Presumably you have your settled status now and have held it for 12 months or more? Two other requirements you have to meet but if so I think you should be fine. I would suggest though you put together a cover letter explaining what happened in 2016 etc and submit it with your supporting documents when you apply for naturalisation.
Thank you so much for this reply, I really appreciate it. Yes I have settled status since January 2019, the only thing holding me back is those two I stated but I think you've boost my confidence now and I will go ahead with my application. Thank you so much, God bless you!

hanihani
Chile

Re: Please help a confused person

Post by hanihani » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:09 pm

Hi there I'm also not an advisor but as a family member of an eu citizen who went through same as you, 2010 residence card
2015 permanent residence refused
2016 applied for another residence card
2020 applied for settled stauts
2021 granted citizenship

The most important thing I Will tell you and I'm 100% sure it is right that, you have never broken any residence requirement from 2016 till 2018 or whatever those years were
A family member of an eu citizen doesn't need to reapply for a second residence card as your rights are automatically matching your husbands rights
The residence card was introduced to make things easier when you re enter the UK.or apply for a job so you were fine all those years

However the issue is you need to have held either permanent residence or settled status for at least one years then the homeoffice would ask evedinece that your husband was exercising treaty rights In the 5 years prior to your citizenship application not since 2010
For example if you apply for citizenship this year the homeoffice will.ask your husband to provide from 2016 to 2021 either proof of employment or Csi ... so be aware

However I read and seen many cases where homeoffice applied discretion . And ( gave a blind eye when there is no CSI) there are many cases where it was scussful

So they might ask.they might not it depends on case worker
And it will go back 5 years only

Hope that helps.

dexmo

Post by dexmo » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:13 pm

hanihani wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:09 pm
Hi there I'm also not an advisor but as a family member of an eu citizen who went through same as you, 2010 residence card
2021 granted citizenship

The most important thing I Will tell you and I'm 100% sure it is right that, you have never broken any residence requirement from 2016 till 2018 or whatever those years were
A family member of an eu citizen doesn't need to reapply for a second residence card as your rights are automatically matching your husbands rights
The residence card was introduced to make things easier when you re enter the UK.or apply for a job so you were fine all those years

However the issue is you need to have held either permanent residence or settled status for at least one years then the homeoffice would ask evedinece that your husband was exercising treaty rights In the 5 years prior to your citizenship application not since 2010
For example if you apply for citizenship this year the homeoffice will.ask your husband to provide from 2016 to 2021 either proof of employment or Csi ... so be aware

However I read and seen many cases where homeoffice applied discretion . And ( gave a blind eye when there is no CSI) there are many cases where it was scussful

Hope that helps.
Presumably your permanent residence card was refused for similar reasons, i.e. lack of CSI? What was your qualifying period for naturalisation, did it include any period of residence where you had no residence card? If so what did you submit as evidence of legal residence for that period?

This is what it all comes down to in Miss A's case and what the case worker will want to see - evidence of legal residence. Because Miss A had no residence card between 2016 and 2018 which would have confirmed her legal residence during that period, in all likelihood she'll be asked to provide alternative evidence. Again, the question is not whether that period was legal. The question is, given there was no residence card, how Miss A can demonstrate it was legal. I would assume by showing that her husband was exercising treaty rights during that period. If he was working then P60s or letters from employers would need to be submitted. If he was a student then yes, the case worker will want to see a copy of his CSI. If he held no CSI the case worker will need a good explanation as to why CSI was not held and why discretion should be exercised now to grant citizenship. It is true, we've yet to encounter a case where naturalisation was refused purely due to lack of CSI and I think you'll find many cases on this forum of people getting their British nationality despite not having CSI during their qualifying period so it would seem case workers are consistently applying discretion in applicants' favour.

All in all, Miss A's chances of getting approval are quite high I would say. A cover letter explaining the whole thing including lack of CSI between 2016 and 2018 if applicable wouldn't go amiss. Good luck!

Miss A
Newly Registered

Post by Miss A » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:04 pm

hanihani wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:09 pm
2021 granted citizenship

Hope that helps.
Wow, this just give me another peace of mind, thank a lot remain blessed.

hanihani
Chile

Post by hanihani » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:41 pm

Hey dexmo

My second card as I mentioned started from 2016 and my qualifying period was 16 to 2020

You don't get it

In the application they ask about your immigration history and you have to declare it all so the case worker aware that she has been here legally

If card dated 2018 that doesn't make the 2 years priort illegal

We DO NOT need a residence card
You can live and work In the UK without it as I stated its for comfort reasons
Instead of carrying a marriage certificate and pay slips of your eu partner when you re entering the UK you get a card.. its not mandatory

I submitted for lawful residence and qualifying period

Payslips/ p60s covering the 5 years for me and my partner
Letters from hmrc and dwp
Letter from government
Work contracts

They don't accept bank statements

Remember they need to know that the eu partner was working during those past 5 years plus both of you were actually physically present so any letter that shows that
For example I'm a taxi driver I submitted letter regarding me applying for my taxi licences and I attended the courses etc

Plus my residence card