ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR to BC question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

ILR to BC question

Post by Cristina88 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:45 pm

Hi @CULLINAN,

Asking my BC questions in this sub-forum as requested.

Quick background to remind you my status:
Myself: 5yr T2G -> ILR (Oct 20)
Spouse: 5yr T2G dep -> applying ILR in May
10yr old Son born out of UK: applying ILR along with my Spouse in May

Q1: I will be eligible to apply for naturalisation in Oct 21 assume I haven’t spent more than 90 days out of UK from Oct 20 - Oct 21. Is that correct?

Q2: What form will I need to fill and what are the documents required?

Q3: If my son & spouse gets ILR by Oct 21, is it correct that child can apply for naturalisation along with me (& doesn’t need to wait for 12 months on his ILR)?

Q4: Does child require ceremony? If not, does it mean that there is a possibility that my son can get Naturalisation before me?

Q5: After my process for BC is completed including ceremony then ONLY my spouse can apply for BC (or unless he completes 12 months on his ILR)?
Like child, spouse cannot apply for naturalisation with me?

Thanks a lot!!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: ILR to BC question

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:06 am

Cristina88 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:45 pm
Hi @CULLINAN,

Asking my BC questions in this sub-forum as requested.

Quick background to remind you my status:
Myself: 5yr T2G -> ILR (Oct 20)
Spouse: 5yr T2G dep -> applying ILR in May
10yr old Son born out of UK: applying ILR along with my Spouse in May

Q1: I will be eligible to apply for naturalisation in Oct 21 assume I haven’t spent more than 90 days out of UK from Oct 20 - Oct 21. Is that correct?
You should not be outside UK for more than 90 days between Oct 20- Oct 21 and not be outside UK for more than 450 days in the last 5 years Oct 2016-Oct 2021. Also you must be physically present in UK on the start of the qualifying period. Your qualifying period is Oct 2016-Oct 2021. So lets say (example) you apply on 28 Oct 2021 (assuming that date is 12+ months after your ILR), you must be physically present in UK on 29 Oct 2016.

Q2: What form will I need to fill and what are the documents required?
Form AN.
Documents: Passport covering the 5 year qualifying period, ILR BRP, Last 5 years visa stamps to prove residence, 2 referees, LIUK, English B1/UK Degree.

Q3: If my son & spouse gets ILR by Oct 21, is it correct that child can apply for naturalisation along with me (& doesn’t need to wait for 12 months on his ILR)?
Yes if both your husband and son gets ILR by then, you can register your son as British when you apply for your own Naturalisation in Oct 2021

Q4: Does child require ceremony? If not, does it mean that there is a possibility that my son can get Naturalisation before me?
Children are registered not naturalised. Children do not attend ceremony. Their registration certificate will be posted at your home address. Children become British at the date of approval/date on registration certificate so yes there is a possibility your son will become British effective from the date his application is approved. Every application is processed on its own merits. But since you have to attend a ceremony, likely he will become British earlier from approval date

Q5: After my process for BC is completed including ceremony then ONLY my spouse can apply for BC (or unless he completes 12 months on his ILR)?
Like child, spouse cannot apply for naturalisation with me?
Your spouse can apply in his own right waiting 12 months on ILR

OR

IF you become British by then (i.e. attend your ceremony), he can apply for British Citizenship asap after that which ever comes first in his case. If you become British by then, he can apply even IF he hold ILR for LESS then 12 months at that point in time.

Thanks a lot!!
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:08 am

Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:39 am

Residence Requirement:
You got your ILR dated on 6 Oct 2020.

Earliest Date of AN application: 7 Oct 2021 (12 months after ILR).

Qualifying 5 year period: 8 Oct 2016 - 7 Oct 2021.

Apply online on 7th Oct 2021 given:

You were in UK on 8 Oct 2016 (start date of the qualifying period) - VERY IMP!

Less than 90 days outside UK between 8 Oct 2020 - 7 Oct 2021 (last 1 year).

Less than 450 days outside UK between 8 Oct 2016 - 7 Oct 2021 (last 5 years).

*Adjust the online application date accordingly if you do not meet any of the above criteria on 7 Oct 2021 that will be your date of application.

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:24 pm

Thanks Thanks Thanks a lot @Cullinan

One question regarding point 3:
If my son registers for same time as I apply for naturalisation, I will fill form AN, which form will we have to fill for him ?
Note that he was not born in UK.

Thanks a lot again & million times..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:28 pm

Form MN1 for children.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:56 pm

Given your husband and son both have ILR before Oct 2021.

Cristina88:
If my son registers for same time as I apply for naturalisation, I will fill form AN, which form will we have to fill for him ?
To clarify further:

In this case you and your son will stay in the same ACCOUNT.

You will create ONE AN account and fill your form first. Then you can add your son in the same account (account gives an option to ADD family members).

Choose “Child below 18” when you ADD him as he is 10. The form will automatically adapt to MN1 for the child. You will fill his separate form then but in the SAME account.

Read “account” and “form” separately.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:57 pm

Last 5 years entry/exit stamps visa stamps to prove residence,
Correction: I meant last 5 years entry/exit stamps NOT visa stamps.

Always best to scan full passport(s) covering qualifying period (5 years). All pages in 1 PDF file/passport.

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:31 am

Hi @Cullinan

all ILR done, next step BC :)

so just to confirm, Form AN for me (T2G 5yr -> ILR Main applicant)
and add son (T2G Dep 5yr)

please note:
- he is born out of UK
- he will complete 12 months on ILR in Jun 2022

so, to confirm, he can apply for BC along with me even though he is born out of UK and hasnt complete 12 months on ILR at the time of applying for BC. Is that ok ?

Thanks a lot

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:03 pm

12 months wait time does not apply to children.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:13 pm

You will start ONE AN form (as pasted in my previous post).

You will fill your own application first. The SAME account will give you an option to add your child (born outside UK) as “child below 18.”

Choose the correct category for the child and then fill child’s form. The form will automatically adapt to MN1 in your child’s case.

You BOTH will be in the same account and will attend biometrics together. Both applications are separate though and could be different timelines.

Your child’s certificate will be sent at home after approval. Child will become British from approval/date on certificate date.

You will become British only at ceremony date (not approval alone).

You and your child (born outside UK) BOTH can apply together when you complete your OWN 12 months on ILR.

Your husband will have to wait till you become British (i.e. attend your ceremony OR 12 months on his own whichever comes first).
If you become British before he completes his own 12 months, he can still apply right away.

Also see the “steps” link I pasted in my previous post to have an overview of the process and possible corona delays.

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:50 pm

Hiii @Cullinan,

So the process begins.. I have started to fill the applications and have some questions.

- which council for ceremony? 

- date ILR granted? BRP date. - previous visa where English language proved? BRP number ?- How does referee knows applicant ?- Have you made previous UK immigration application? is it only for asylum or have to write yes for ILR too ?- tax office reference number?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:57 pm

Cristina88 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:50 pm
By default, it will normally be the local council of your residence.

You can choose to enter another council, for instance if you plan to move house or you'd prefer to have it at the council of your place of work or another council office is more accessible, etc.

Keep in mind that once chosen, it is harder to change the council later on.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:05 pm

most sincere apologies, my previous question got entered without proper formatting (I dont know how and what happened) .. trying again:

A: Do I have to give my local council or I can try to find which council has more/faster ceremonies and give that ?

- date ILR granted?
A: Is this date on BRP. 

- When did you arrive in UK ? and 10 year history of employment in UK?
A: I arrived in UK in May 2014 on T2ICT Dependent visa. Had a job on that visa (job1).
Then moved to Tier2G and got entry clearance in Oct 2015.

Now if I mention Job1 then I have to mention when did you arrive in UK as May 2014.
But during my ILR application, I mentioned Date of arrive in UK as Oct 15 as it was relevant for T2G visa. What should I do ?

- How does referee knows applicant ?
A: Answering as "Friend" or "Friend's Son" is ok ?

- tax office reference number?
A: It says to find it on Salary slip but my salary slip doesnt have any reference, is it tax code?

Thanks a lot !!!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:26 pm

Cristina88 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:05 pm
A: Do I have to give my local council or I can try to find which council has more/faster ceremonies and give that ?
You can of course do that. But if everybody did that, the council which is quite fast and efficient may slow down (due to an increase in teh number of citizenship ceremonies it now has to organise) and it is not that easy to change councils after submitting the applications.

The purpose of the local councils being given the role of organising citizenship ceremonies is that not only are you becoming a British citizen, but also integrating into that local community.
Cristina88 wrote:
- When did you arrive in UK ? and 10 year history of employment in UK?
A: I arrived in UK in May 2014 on T2ICT Dependent visa. Had a job on that visa (job1).
Then moved to Tier2G and got entry clearance in Oct 2015.

Now if I mention Job1 then I have to mention when did you arrive in UK as May 2014.
But during my ILR application, I mentioned Date of arrive in UK as Oct 15 as it was relevant for T2G visa. What should I do ?
Mention all jobs that you have held in the UK. This is a naturalisation application, not an immigration application. Different laws, rules and requirements.
Cristina88 wrote:
- tax office reference number?
A: It says to find it on Salary slip but my salary slip doesnt have any reference, is it tax code?
Probably the NINo, but I'm not sure. Wait for others to respond.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:28 pm

Your hr department can give you the tax reference number. It is also on your P60.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:56 pm

Choose your local council.
- How does referee knows applicant ?
A: Answering as "Friend" or "Friend's Son" is ok ?
Yes
When did you arrive in UK ?
May 2014
tax office reference number?
Employer’s PAYE ref.
- date ILR granted?
A: Is this date on BRP.
Yes.

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:01 pm

Hi Gurus,

I am filling BC application for myself (AN) and my son (MN1) and have some questions:
Q1: Tell us previous visa/entry clearance/or leave to remain you had where you had to prove knowledge of English ?
A: Do I need to put ILR BRP as that was when I put English Language certificate.

Q2: Have you made any previous UK immigration applications in the UK or abroad?
A: I came to UK couple of times of tourist visa around 10 years ago. Do we need to include those applications as well or we need to put only visas like T2ICT, T2G.

Q3: Is there any benefit in taking earlier Biometric (paid) or fine to go for free appointments ? As the application anyways takes between 4-6 months, not sure how much it expedite if paid Biometric appointment is taken ?

Thanks a lot

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:30 pm

Cristina88 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:01 pm
Hi Gurus,

I am filling BC application for myself (AN) and my son (MN1) and have some questions:
Q1: Tell us previous visa/entry clearance/or leave to remain you had where you had to prove knowledge of English ?
A: Do I need to put ILR BRP as that was when I put English Language certificate. Yes.

Q2: Have you made any previous UK immigration applications in the UK or abroad?
A: I came to UK couple of times of tourist visa around 10 years ago. Do we need to include those applications as well or we need to put only visas like T2ICT, T2G. All applications need to be listed. Provide the details as far as you have them. Some fields are "if known" anyway. You could add a covering note for peace of mind, i.e. explaining where you don't have details.

Q3: Is there any benefit in taking earlier Biometric (paid) or fine to go for free appointments ? As the application anyways takes between 4-6 months, not sure how much it expedite if paid Biometric appointment is taken ? Not that we know of - if you can get a free appointment best to take it, otherwise the appointment fee could be anywhere between £60 and £200.....

Thanks a lot
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:41 pm

No need to mention tourist visas. Only mention the start of Tier2.

Look for free appointments. You will get one hopefully.

Not necessarily it takes 4-6 months. Some applications are accepted in less than a month also. It varies, it can take up to 6 months standard processing, less or more.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:47 pm

start from* Tier 2

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:16 pm

Hiiiii @Cullinan , the biggggggggest helper / saviour / messiah !!

Now that I know you are still around here ;-) one Q:
My BRP date is 1 Oct 2020, can I apply for BC on 1 Oct 2021 or have to wait for 2 Oct 2021 (prefer applying on 1 Oct if its fine!) ?
I confirm that on both 1 & 2 Oct 2016 I was in UK and have hardly 180 days in 5 years and 72 days in last 1 year out of UK.

Thank you !!!!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:38 pm

Thank you 😊
Apply on 2nd Oct.

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:15 pm

Hii Respected Gurus & Great @Cullinan,

I have finally received BC approval email! Now waiting for ceremony letter & date.

Next step is to apply for Naturalisation for my husband. Have few questions:
- He got ILR via 5 year on Tier 2 G dependent. His 12 months should complete in June 22. I understand he can apply next day of my ceremony. Is that correct ? Just trying to understand earliest he can apply.
- Which form should he use for Naturalisation application ?
- What are the usual docs & requirement for BC via ILR then spouse of BC route ?

Thanks a lot once again !

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:19 pm

1. Yes.

2. Same form you used, form AN

3. Same documents you submitted plus marriage cert and your naturalisation cert. He must ensure he meets the 3 year residency requirement and have been physically present 3 years immediately preceding the date of application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)