ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 5 GAE

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

midhun3197
Newly Registered
India

Tier 5 GAE

Post by midhun3197 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:09 pm

Hi,

I am on a Tier 5 GAE Visa doing a civil engineering industrial placement. I have been offered a job as a demonstrator for a module part of the masters degree that I completed last year. I have been offered this job by my dissertation supervisor. I wanted to know if I will be able to do part time for less than 20 hours, as I am not sure if the role as a University lecturer which requires professional expertise in civil engineering, will be considered to be same as the profession I am currently doing (Civil engineer). The University account manager confirmed that both are considered to be at the same professional level, but one of my colleagues raised a doubt regarding it. Will I breach the visa condition if I take up the role? Thank you.

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Tier 5 GAE

Post by manci » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:12 pm

The conditions of your visa allow supplementary employment the definition of which is:

Supplementary employment” means employment in a job (other than the job for which the person is being sponsored) which appears on the Shortage Occupation Lists in Appendix Shortage Occupation Lists, or in the same profession and at the same professional level as the job for which the person is being sponsored, provided that:
(a) the person remains working for the sponsor in the job for which the Certificate of Sponsorship records the person is being sponsored; and
(b) the other employment does not exceed 20 hours per week and takes place outside of the hours when the person is contracted to work for the sponsor in the job for which the person is being sponsored.

All jobs in civil engineering are on the shortage occupation list (SOC code 2121) and it makes no difference what the particular civil engineering job is, e.g. consultant, contractor, lecturer, etc.
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

midhun3197
Newly Registered
India

Re: Tier 5 GAE

Post by midhun3197 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:58 am

Hi manci, thank you for the reply.

I thought University lecturers were part of SOC 231 series of codes which is not in the SOL, and that is when I started worrying about the "same profession" clause. If as you said academic jobs also fall under the civil engineering job code, then it should not be a problem. Thank you.