ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Migrant Worker student finance PN1 form

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

teejaysmart
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Do i qualify for student finance?

Post by teejaysmart » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:18 pm

Hi guys,
This is my question for the house.

I have got a Uni offer.
I have been here since 2011 but no legal status until 2017.
Status : Leave to Remain FLRFP 10 year route on the second one.
Will i be classified as home student?

Thanks for the answers.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Do i qualify for student finance?

Post by sah10406 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:04 pm

teejaysmart wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:18 pm
Will i be classified as home student?
It depends. You need to check the eligibility rules for the specific country of the UK where you will be studying and, for Student Finance, the UK country in which you are living (if different).

If you have been living in the UK for more than half your life, you are likely to be eligible under the "long residence" category.

See https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information-- ... the-basics
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

teejaysmart
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Migrant Worker student finance PN1 form

Post by teejaysmart » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:49 am

Hello house,
Please I need help concerning student loan application.
*I moved into UK 2011
*Obtained LR family ties in 2017 and has been working since then.
*Not been outside UK since 2011
*I am on the second 2(1/2) LR.
*So no British passport no ILR and no ties to EU/EEA.

QUESTION
Using the PN1 form, am I qualified for student and maintenance loans ?
I have submitted the PN1 form with contract letter from employer, 3months payslips and my BRP card.

Many Thanks 🙏🏽

teejaysmart
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Re: Migrant Worker student finance PN1 form

Post by teejaysmart » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:11 am

Hello there,
Thank you for the response. To be honest , I have read a lot of information regarding this issue and I would say they are conflicting information. I have spoken and chat with more than 4 staffs from the Student finance office team and they have difference view and response. some said yes I am qualified while others No.
I am just looking for a precise answer and maybe see anyone here on this forum with the experience or someone who has been in the same shoe before to shed more light into it.

Many thanks

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:54 pm

Did you use the link in my previous reply Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:04 pm, to check your fee status and Student Support entitlement? You may meet the "Long Residence" category, depending on your age.

Only England and Scotland's full information has been announced so far, Wales and Northern Ireland's has not.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

teejaysmart
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by teejaysmart » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:17 pm

hi there,
yes I did use the link you sent me. About the 'long residency' that you mentioned, I have not lived half of my life here , I have only been in the UK for 10 years. And I did'nt come here while I was a teenager. I am 39 years.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:20 pm

I can't see that you meet any of the eligibility categories for home fees and student support.

Has a university assessed you as a home fee payer?

teejaysmart
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by teejaysmart » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:54 am

No the University accessed me as an international student though I didn’t send them my documents. At this point I will just have to wait for whatever decision the finance office come up with.

I appreciate your time to reply.

Many thanks

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:25 pm

teejaysmart wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:54 am
No the University accessed me as an international student though I didn’t send them my documents.
That seems correct, and you would not be eligible for student support. The eligibility is the same for both aspects.

teejaysmart
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by teejaysmart » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:50 am

Hello there,
A little update about my situation which might help someone else on this forum in the future.

The school has re examined my docs after I sent them an email to reverse their decision which categorized me as an international student. I have now been classified as home student .
Note : duration in the UK is 10 years but currently hold LR on a 10yr route.

Also page 6 of 8 of the New eligibility rules for home fee status and student finance for the 2021/22 academic
year : states
" Family members of UK nationals living in the UK
Family members of UK nationals resident in the UK will qualify for home fee status and
tuition fee support from Student Finance England on the basis of 3 years ordinary
residence in the UK and the Islands. They must also be undertaking a designated course
in England".

I have now been advised by student finance England to reapply with the Student finance team EU.

I will update further on my application which has now been submitted.

many thanks

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:18 am

teejaysmart wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:50 am
The school has re examined my docs after I sent them an email to reverse their decision which categorized me as an international student. I have now been classified as home student .
Note : duration in the UK is 10 years but currently hold LR on a 10yr route.

Also page 6 of 8 of the New eligibility rules for home fee status and student finance for the 2021/22 academic
year : states
" Family members of UK nationals living in the UK
Family members of UK nationals resident in the UK will qualify for home fee status and tuition fee support from Student Finance England on the basis of 3 years ordinary residence in the UK and the Islands. They must also be undertaking a designated course in England".
That's good news, but just to say that your original post here didn't say anything about you having a family member who is a British citizen. Hence my previous reply.