ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Certificate - Name Correction

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

yomishu
Mood:
India

Naturalisation Certificate - Name Correction

Post by yomishu » Wed May 05, 2021 2:09 pm

Hi All

I thought my wait was over when I received my naturalisation certificate and then realised that my name on the certificate is different to my Indian passport

Certificate name - Forename and Surname

Indian Passport - Forename and no surname

When I had applied for my British passport , I received letter from HMPO stating that my name (name order) needs to be exactly same as my passport . In short the name needs to be exactly the same in both the document (Certificate and indian passport)

So i have just completed and send a RR form ,original certificate and my passport to change my name so that its only forename and no surname to be mentioned in my naturalisation certificate.

My question is how long does it take to get the certificate amended? Any one had this same experience and how long did it take?

I have seen old post in sept/dec 2020 were people have got it within 2 weeks and some guys it took up to 2 months

secret.simon

Re: Naturalisation Certificate - Name Correction

Post by secret.simon » Wed May 05, 2021 3:09 pm

Be aware that as a mononymic person (a person with only one name), HMPO's policy is to list the first name as "XXX" and place the mononym in the Surname field.

See Paragraph 9 of Annex A: use of names in passports.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

yomishu
Mood:
India

Post by yomishu » Wed May 05, 2021 3:24 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:09 pm
Be aware that as a mononymic person (a person with only one name), HMPO's policy is to list the first name as "XXX" and place the mononym in the Surname field.

Let me bit more clear

In my indian passport -
Given name = Yomishu Khan
Surname = blank

So i have asked them to only put YOMISHU KHAN in my certificate with no surname . I have provided my passport for evidence

So according to the document -
9 One Name
9.1 Where an applicant has just one name either on their birth certificate or by change of
name deed, this should be shown in the surname field with ‘XXX’ shown in the forename field.

so based on that my name would be wrong again since they place YOMISHU KHAN at surname field and XXX at forename which again is different to my passport

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by mesn » Thu May 06, 2021 4:00 pm

yomishu wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:24 pm
secret.simon wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:09 pm

Let me bit more clear

In my indian passport -
Given name = Yomishu Khan
Surname = blank

So i have asked them to only put YOMISHU KHAN in my certificate with no surname . I have provided my passport for evidence

So according to the document -
9 One Name
9.1 Where an applicant has just one name either on their birth certificate or by change of
name deed, this should be shown in the surname field with ‘XXX’ shown in the forename field.

so based on that my name would be wrong again since they place YOMISHU KHAN at surname field and XXX at forename which again is different to my passport
You have 2 options if its not too late.
1. Apply for a new Indian passport to move your middle name into Surname. You don't need any other documents to do this. I had done this for my daughter. And then apply for the British Passport with the new Indian Passport.

2. Surrender your Indian passport. Apply for your British passport and chose that you don't have a foreign passport. In this case, you can stick to what you already have and no changes needed.
T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu May 06, 2021 4:30 pm

mesn wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:00 pm
1. Apply for a new Indian passport to move your middle name into Surname. You don't need any other documents to do this. I had done this for my daughter. And then apply for the British Passport with the new Indian Passport.

2. Surrender your Indian passport. Apply for your British passport and chose that you don't have a foreign passport. In this case, you can stick to what you already have and no changes needed.
Agree with both suggestions. Only issue is that the OP has already applied for a revision/amendment of the naturalisation certificate.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by mesn » Thu May 06, 2021 7:09 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:30 pm
mesn wrote:

2. Surrender your Indian passport. Apply for your British passport and mention you don't have a foreign passport. In this case, you can stick to what you already have and no changes needed.
Agree with both suggestions. Only issue is that the OP has already applied for a revision/amendment of the naturalisation certificate.
Yeah. Hence mentioned, if it's not too late :( . Could have checked here and not have an "XXX" on the passport forever. Hope it's not another long wait for @Yomishu. Good luck.

yomishu
Mood:
India

Post by yomishu » Fri May 07, 2021 8:44 am

mesn wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:09 pm
secret.simon wrote:
mesn wrote:

2. Surrender your Indian passport. Apply for your British passport and mention you don't have a foreign passport. In this case, you can stick to what you already have and no changes needed.
Yeah. Hence mentioned, if it's not too late :( . Could have checked here and not have an "XXX" on the passport forever. Hope it's not another long wait for @Yomishu. Good luck.
Hi

I feel like shit now , these two options would have been quicker then amending my naturalisation certificate. I had send them the documents on 4th May so i guess its late now . I should have posted here for advice before i did that since i spoke to a solicitor and he said the only way is to change your certificate since you cant do anything about your indian passport since your british now

Anyways thanks alot for your reply and i guess i will just need to keep chasing naturalisation guys for me amended certificate and i so hope its not another long wait as well

yomishu
Mood:
India

Post by yomishu » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:35 pm

mesn wrote:
secret.simon wrote:
mesn wrote:

I m regretting my actions now. I shouldn't have send the certificate back

Its been a month now and no response - does it actually take one month to change a certificate

What can i do now to get a response? I have emailed all the email id i know :(

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by mesn » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:08 am

yomishu wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:35 pm
mesn wrote:
secret.simon wrote:
mesn wrote:

I m regretting my actions now. I shouldn't have send the certificate back

Its been a month now and no response - does it actually take one month to change a certificate

What can i do now to get a response? I have emailed all the email id i know :(
I think this forum suggests it might take a couple of months to get it back. Cant do anything other than wait.

yomishu
Mood:
India

Post by yomishu » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:11 am

Just an update

I received a letter on the weekend (dated 9th June) with my support documents and they said a correct certificate will be with you shortly

Any idea how long did it take for you guys to get the correct certificate after receiving the letter with your support documents?

Thank you