ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sunitaM
India

British Citizenship

Post by sunitaM » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:27 pm

Hello Team

I was in need of some guidance.

1. My 2nd son was born in UK in 2017.
2. I received my ILR in DEC 2020.
3. After receiving my ILR, I applied for "registration of citizenship" (via MN1) for my child born in UK. I spent around 1000£ for this.
4. I then applied for British passport for my son born in UK.

One of my friend recently mentioned that there was no need of Step 3. I could have directly applied for British Passport as my son was born in UK after receiving my ILR? He also highlighted, MN1 form is used for children under 18 who are born abroad.

Is this true? If yes, then did I wasted the fee spent in step 3? If yes, is there a possibility to claim this back?

Also, I recently applied for British citizenship for me, my wife and my 1st son via form AN. I am a bit worried, if I should have used form MN1 for my 1st son?

Could you please clarify my doubts?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:50 pm

If ehr was born in 2017 and you got ilr in 2020, he was not born after you got ilr.

Your friend is talking nonsense. Your child born before you got ilr would not have had any claim to apply directly for a British passport as he would not have been British at that time. The only way he became British is by registering him on form MN1.

Form MN1 is used for mny categories and not only for children born abroad.

Stop listening to your friends incorrect advice.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sunitaM
India

Re: British Citizenship

Post by sunitaM » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:00 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:50 pm
If ehr was born in 2017 and you got ilr in 2020, he was not born after you got ilr.

Your friend is talking nonsense. Your child born before you got ilr would not have had any claim to apply directly for a British passport as he would not have been British at that time. The only way he became British is by registering him on form MN1.

Form MN1 is used for mny categories and not only for children born abroad.

Stop listening to your friends incorrect advice.
Thank you for your response. This helps.