ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US Partner would like to stay in UK.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

poorrich
Newly Registered
Mood:

US Partner would like to stay in UK.

Post by poorrich » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:27 am

Good Afternoon,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this fairly unique situation.

I'm a British Nation who has been in a long term relationship with an American lady for the last two years.

She is a US citizen who has been living in the UK since March 2018. She works for the US government here in the UK on a visa. (Civilian Staff, Leave to Remain, NATO Contract, Restricted Work - Stated on her BRP). This is valid until 2024.

Her current position sees he staying in the UK until March 2022, at which point she will have to return to the USA. She is a well qualified hard worker and loves the UK lifestyle, she doesn't want us to return to the US.

What is the best way for her to remain in the UK, to be able to work on the UK economy and potentially settle long term?

Are we able to get married in the UK on her current Visa status, or would she still have to apply for a Fiancé Visa ?

Thank you for you responses !

Rich

TODMATT
Diamond Member

Re: US Partner would like to stay in UK.

Post by TODMATT » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:10 pm

poorrich wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:27 am
Good Afternoon,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this fairly unique situation.

I'm a British Nation who has been in a long term relationship with an American lady for the last two years.

She is a US citizen who has been living in the UK since March 2018. She works for the US government here in the UK on a visa. (Civilian Staff, Leave to Remain, NATO Contract, Restricted Work - Stated on her BRP). This is valid until 2024.

Her current position sees he staying in the UK until March 2022, at which point she will have to return to the USA. She is a well qualified hard worker and loves the UK lifestyle, she doesn't want us to return to the US.

What is the best way for her to remain in the UK, to be able to work on the UK economy and potentially settle long term?

Are we able to get married in the UK on her current Visa status, or would she still have to apply for a Fiancé Visa ? Yes, you can.

Thank you for you responses !

Rich
Once you are married, you can switch to a partner visa within UK but her clock will reset back to zero which means she would have to spend 5 years in the UK to qualify for ILR.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

secret.simon

Re: US Partner would like to stay in UK.

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:21 pm

Also see this thread on people in the UK on an Exempt visa.

She and you can get married in the UK while she is resident in the UK on that visa. She can then apply for a spousal visa, and then as @TODMATT has mentioned above, can apply for ILR after completely five years of residence in the UK on the spousal visa. The time she has already spent in the UK on the Exempt visa does not count towards ILR on a spousal visa.

She and you will have to meet the minimum income requirements and other requirements of the spousal visa.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.