ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR and Job change

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

anonymous9
Newly Registered
India

ILR and Job change

Post by anonymous9 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:02 pm

Hello There

I am in a bit of a precarious situation and was hoping someone could help me clear my doubts.

I am on a tier 2 general visa which expires in November this year. Unfortunately my company is winding up and i will probably have 3 months or so left in my current role. In a normal situation i would have applied for ILR in October but given current situation i may not have a job.

Assuming i am able to find a new job by October how does the VISA process work and i am assuming i should be able to apply for an ILR?

If for some reason i dont find another job do i have to leave the country or can i still apply for an ILR?

Any suggestions would be helpful. I do plan to consult a professional lawyer but was hoping to get some general feedback as well.

Many Thanks in advance !!

secret.simon

Re: ILR and Job change

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:22 pm

anonymous9 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:02 pm
If for some reason i dont find another job do i have to leave the country or can i still apply for an ILR?
Are you planning to apply for ILR under the Tier 2 General pathway?

If yes, the chances of you being able to apply for ILR are very slim. The requirements for ILR under that pathway are not only that you have resided in the UK for five years on a Tier 2 visa, but also that the company issues a letter stating that they will continue to employ you "for the foreseeable future".

If the company has gone bust, neither can it issue the letter nor can it employ you for the foreseeable future.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:24 pm

A professional lawyer will not be able to help you to get ILR unless you are eligible. I suggest saving your money.

For ILR, your employer must need you for the foreseeable future as Simon pointed out. I suggest finding a new employer and apply for a new Skilled worker visa. You will be able to apply for ILR after a month of working for the new sponsor. You cannot stay unless you can find a visa route to apply before the visa expiry
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

anonymous9
Newly Registered
India

Post by anonymous9 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:30 pm

Thanks Zimba/Secret Simon

And if i am able to find a new employer can they transfer the existing Tier 2 VISA or will they have to apply for a new one and is there any difference between the two?

Thanks Again

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:35 pm

Tier 2 general visa does not exist anymore as it has been replaced by the Skilled Worker Visa. Time spent under the old Tier 2 counts towards ILR under the Skilled Worker route. The Skilled Worker route is pretty much very similar to the old Tier 2 General. In fact, all people currently holding Tier 2 visas will get ILR under Skilled Worker rules (not much difference)

In your case you need a new visa with your new sponsor. There is no transfer

https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

anonymous9
Newly Registered
India

Post by anonymous9 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:01 am

Thanks Again Zimba

anonymous9
Newly Registered
India

Post by anonymous9 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:38 pm

HI again another quick one...

If one is on a Tier 2 VIsa and your role is terminated for how long can I stay in the country?

tHANKS

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:09 pm

anonymous9 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:38 pm

If one is on a Tier 2 VIsa and your role is terminated for how long can I stay in the country?

tHANKS
As long as your visa is valid unless your visa is curtailed by UKVI

anonymous9
Newly Registered
India

Post by anonymous9 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:47 pm

Thanks again Zimba

I read somewhere that one has 2 months or the actual Visa expiry date whichever is shorter.
My VISA expires in November but my job gets terminated this month so can i stay here till November or will i have to leave in 2 months (assuming i cant find another job)?

Kind Regards

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:34 pm

Zimba wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:09 pm
anonymous9 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:38 pm

tHANKS
As long as your visa is valid unless your visa is curtailed by UKVI

anonymous9
Newly Registered
India

Post by anonymous9 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:19 pm

Thanks again