ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa extension and universal credit

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Masum369
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Spouse visa extension and universal credit

Post by Masum369 » Sun May 23, 2021 6:44 pm

Hello,
My wife's spouse visa extension is due in few months (5 years rout)
My contracted earning is just over 18600.
English requirement is fine by UK Naric.
We have 2 British children living with us. (I'm British too)
At the moment claiming only child benifit (when applied for, I've mentioned in the application form that she is not eligible)

At this point trying to claim universal credit (child tax credit etc) where a single application cannot be made rather have to be joint application.

** my questions are if I make UC application _
1.How the universal credit application will affect spouse visa extension application?

2. Should I apply under 10 years rout because of the universal credit??
Any help will be appreciated
Thank you

mavaas11

Re: Spouse visa extension and universal credit

Post by mavaas11 » Mon May 24, 2021 9:47 pm

Hi,

If you apply universal credit, you have to make a joint application, but when they interview your spouse you should make it clear in biographical interview or similar she is ineligible due to being on a spouse visa. Both names will still remain on application,, but they will write you a letter online where your spouse will be ineligible for the benefit, they will then only pay you.

Then you are free to apply for a spouse visa, make sure you include in journal as well that your spouse is ineligible due to spouse visa.

Masum369
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Post by Masum369 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:42 am

Massive thanks to you my friend.

barokut
BANNED

Post by barokut » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:47 am

mavaas11 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:47 pm
Hi,

If you apply universal credit, you have to make a joint application, but when they interview your spouse you should make it clear in biographical interview or similar she is ineligible due to being on a spouse visa. Both names will still remain on application,, but they will write you a letter online where your spouse will be ineligible for the benefit, they will then only pay you.

Then you are free to apply for a spouse visa, make sure you include in journal as well that your spouse is ineligible due to spouse visa.
To answer this, here's an answer from a forum I raised yesterday. I will paste it here for you:

"Re: Will my partner spouse visa be affected if I was on Universal Credit?
Post by JB007 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:33 pm

If that had happened you would have seen it on your UC online claim and could then put a note in your UC journal saying that you told them your wife was subject to immigration control (no recourse to public funds).

UC could then take that money back and make sure they didn't pay it again. Your wife would have written proof for UKVI that she told the DWP that she could not have public funds, that it was the DWP error and that the money was paid back. As long as she had the proof she told the DWP she was under immigration control but they still paid it, it will not affect her visa. She would still be required to pay this money back." Source: claiming-benefits/will-my-partner-spous ... 17802.html

barokut
BANNED

Post by barokut » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:48 am

Masum369 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:44 pm
Hello,
My wife's spouse visa extension is due in few months (5 years rout)
My contracted earning is just over 18600.
English requirement is fine by UK Naric.
We have 2 British children living with us. (I'm British too)
At the moment claiming only child benifit (when applied for, I've mentioned in the application form that she is not eligible)

At this point trying to claim universal credit (child tax credit etc) where a single application cannot be made rather have to be joint application.

** my questions are if I make UC application _
1.How the universal credit application will affect spouse visa extension application?

2. Should I apply under 10 years rout because of the universal credit??
Any help will be appreciated
Thank you
Hi, Please see my answer below. Hope it helps. It happens to a lot of people and gets rectified without any issues as long as every single things are in writing.