ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration - Mother Didn't Change Name

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

michaelzero
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Foreign Birth Registration - Mother Didn't Change Name

Post by michaelzero » Wed May 19, 2021 9:38 am

Hi guys, my mother never changed her name when she got married - so her surname on my birth certificate matches my Irish Born grandparents surname.

I.e. Irish Born Grandfather birth certificate surname - Jones
My mothers birth certificate surname - Jones, with her father as Jones
My birth certificate, showing my mother's surname as Jones, although my surname isn't Jones!

Should I still include her marriage certificate?

I'm asking as she'll have to courier these from the other side of the world and the less original documents she has to send the better.

Thanks!

MikeyMike
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration - Mother Didn't Change Name

Post by MikeyMike » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:51 pm

michaelzero wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:38 am
Hi guys, my mother never changed her name when she got married - so her surname on my birth certificate matches my Irish Born grandparents surname.

I.e. Irish Born Grandfather birth certificate surname - Jones
My mothers birth certificate surname - Jones, with her father as Jones
My birth certificate, showing my mother's surname as Jones, although my surname isn't Jones!

Should I still include her marriage certificate?

I'm asking as she'll have to courier these from the other side of the world and the less original documents she has to send the better.

Thanks!
Possibly not, since birth certificates establish lineage and marriage certificates detail changes of surname. However, since the DFA are asking applicants not to send in supporting documents at this time, you might be better waiting till the FBR section opens up fully again and then ask them directly. There's such a backlog at the moment that you'll still have plenty of time to submit paperwork before they get to you (assuming you've not yet or only recently completed the online application). Hope this helps.