ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bcilr18
Mood:

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by bcilr18 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:42 pm

TSharma wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:35 am
Hi all, has anyone received their OCI recently. I want to confirm if we need to submit our passport after the OCI status is updated online or they deliver the OCI card straight to your address? TIA
Not required. VFS will post your OCI card to your address. Just keep an eye out for your postal tracking number status DX or Royal Mail, whichever you have opted for at the time of submission.

bcilr18
Mood:

Post by bcilr18 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:10 pm

maneks07 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:54 am
Hi
I need to apply for my OCI. I have all the documents in place except that I seem to have misplaced my Indian passport surrender certificate. Could someone kindly let me know the procedure for getting a duplicate surrender certificate pls? It is urgent. Thanks!
This issue has been addressed in this thread earlier. Please see below again

Surrender certificate is mandatory for OCI application. This needs to be uploaded prior to your VFS appointment. VFS will check the uploaded documents at the time of appointment and will notify you. You cannot go ahead with the application past this stage.

I'm not sure which scenario you fit into;
1. Applicants who got foreign nationality after May 2010 require Surrender Certificate for OCI application
2. Applicants who got foreign nationality before May 2010 require some sort of affidavit to prove being an Indian citizen
3. Applicants who lost Surrender cert after May 2010 need to apply again by contacting VFS and Indian consulate. Your chances are stronger provided you have the cancelled indian passport and its photocopies, copy of the original surrender certificate, copy of the vfs appointment receipts, letters etc, all have to be submitted as evidence to reissue.

Just collected all the above info from various forums and gov websites. Best approach is to contact directly the vfs centre and consulate. Will speed up your process.

bcilr18
Mood:

Post by bcilr18 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:13 pm

KenBossini wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:35 pm
Hi all,

For OCI application, do we need a physical print photo, or a digital photo would suffice?

Thanks,
K.
You will need 2 printed copies as well at the time of submission at VFS. Printed Photos should be the same as the digital copy uploaded online. Else application won't be accepted.

santa
Newly Registered
India

Post by santa » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:18 pm

Indian 6699 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:14 am
If you had British passport , then that is your current passport , so you need use your British passport number ( I had booked with British passport number ) but as I am not in to appointment yet I am not sure but please check with other members too.

Also if you had surrendered Indian passport recently. I need your help mate , for self-addressd royal mail envelope do we need put address label our-self with special delivery stamp ? Also when self -attesting documents do we need to put only signature or with date too ? Just wondering if VFS will send any text for dispatch when using royal mail ?
Sorry for late reply, at vfs center they insist on using their service so you can just pay there. Only signature is required when self attesting, date not needed. I bought a Royal Mail special delivery envelope but didn’t use as I used vfs delivery.
Hope this helps and I am not too late 😊

santa
Newly Registered
India

Post by santa » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:57 pm

Is it ok if I upload just my payslip or do I need a letter from my employer too. If letter is required is there a specific format and details that need to be provided.
Thanks in advance

sachinb
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by sachinb » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:40 pm

This is more a question about the time line for receiving the Indian passport surrender certificate.
I am a new user and tried to look to post a separate topic regarding the same.
I submitted it to VFS on 27.05.2021 and have emailed HCI inquiring about the same as I have not received it to date(13.06.2021).
Their response was I have to wait as they are prioritizing those whose passports expire in June 2021,then go on to say check online and apply for emergency.
The next headache is the OCI, i am on an extended leave from work.
What sort of employee letter do they need?
I have a copy of my leave document via email.Would that suffice?
Do the documents go from VFS ,HCI London,then to Delhi and back the same route and delivered to us by VFS?
For the special delivery royal mail envelopes, when submission for OCI are stamps of 100g enough for two separate envelopes?
If i need to travel to india ,what are my options other than an emegency visa which is basically for family emergency?

lots of questions because of the uncertainty of the whole process

Thanks

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:13 pm

sachinb wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:40 pm
This is more a question about the time line for receiving the Indian passport surrender certificate.
I am a new user and tried to look to post a separate topic regarding the same.
I submitted it to VFS on 27.05.2021 and have emailed HCI inquiring about the same as I have not received it to date(13.06.2021).
Their response was I have to wait as they are prioritizing those whose passports expire in June 2021,then go on to say check online and apply for emergency.
The next headache is the OCI, i am on an extended leave from work.
What sort of employee letter do they need?
I have a copy of my leave document via email.Would that suffice?
Do the documents go from VFS ,HCI London,then to Delhi and back the same route and delivered to us by VFS?
For the special delivery royal mail envelopes, when submission for OCI are stamps of 100g enough for two separate envelopes?
If i need to travel to india ,what are my options other than an emegency visa which is basically for family emergency?

lots of questions because of the uncertainty of the whole process

Thanks
Hi

I got the surrender certificate in a week's time. I had submitted application to CGI Birmingham.
As they say in their response it might indeed be delayed due to applicants with expiring passports. You should get the surrender certificate soon.
Regarding OCI, you can submit a copy of your latest payslip along with the email. Any tax documents would also help. The employment letter should briefly explain your designation, nature of work etc.
For OCI Application, you have to carry all original & self attested copy of documents (depending on your circumstances) i.e. British Passport, Naturalisation Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Cancelled Indian Passport, Surrender Certificate, Application Form (signed), 2 Photos (same as the one uploaded online). I would recommend you use the courier service at VFS.
VFS verifies all originals and retain your British Passport and Surrender certificate. They will be sent to you in 5-6 days.
For now, India is issuing emergency visa, business visa. NO tourist visas. I would suggest call embassy and check if you have emergency. Proof of emergency is must to avail this visa.

sachinb
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by sachinb » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:59 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I will wait for my surrender certificate.
I don't understand why they make these things so complicated with no clear guidance.
Just have to go through the whole rigmarole like everyone else has I guess.

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:31 pm

sachinb wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:59 pm
Thanks for your reply.
I will wait for my surrender certificate.
I don't understand why they make these things so complicated with no clear guidance.
Just have to go through the whole rigmarole like everyone else has I guess.
Hi
Well, for a change, the documents required and process with regards to OCI application is very clearly detailed. You can find the PDF under consular services-> OCI of the HCI London website.
The only tough part is to get the signature and photo uploaded as per specifications.

Indian 6699
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Indian 6699 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:57 am

Application Date: 20/May/2021
VFS Center: GOSWELL London
Date of acknowledgment: 21/May/2021
Original docs Received back: 25/May/2021

Documents Printing Status: 10/June/2021

Dispatched From MEA (OCI) New Delhi: 10/june/2021
Document received At London: 10/june/2021
Dispatched by VFS: 14/june/2021
OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED: 15/june/2021

Used Royal mail envelopes , There no sms updates from start to finish.

Total processing time = 25 days

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:12 am

Application Date: 24/May/2021
VFS Center: Birmingham
Date of acknowledgment: 25/May/2021
Original docs Received back: 27/May/2021
Current Status: Under Review
Documents Printing Status:

Dispatched From MEA (OCI) New Delhi:
Document received At London:
Dispatched by VFS:
OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED:

Has anybody who submitted around May last week received their OCI or status moved to Processed?

terry82
Newly Registered

Post by terry82 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:09 pm

Application Date: 06/May/2021
VFS Center: Edinburgh
Date of acknowledgment: 16/May/2021
Original docs Received back: 18/May/2021
Current Status: Under Review

Dispatched by VFS:
OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED

adityad0
Newly Registered

Post by adityad0 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:48 pm

Hello,
I recieved British citizenship by descent and just got my first British passport in India. I also hold and Indian passport and to my knowledge, I am required to surrender it. I wanted to move to the UK for my undergraduate course but had to change plans and continue to live in India thanks to the currently covid-19 situation. Since I am here, is it possible for me to surrender my Indian passport here and then also apply for an OCI here as I am unable to travel to the UK? I am new to this forum and to forums in general and I apologize if this isn't the right place 5o post such a question. I will highly appreciate any advice. Thanks!

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:22 pm

adityad0 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:48 pm
Hello,
I recieved British citizenship by descent and just got my first British passport in India. I also hold and Indian passport and to my knowledge, I am required to surrender it. I wanted to move to the UK for my undergraduate course but had to change plans and continue to live in India thanks to the currently covid-19 situation. Since I am here, is it possible for me to surrender my Indian passport here and then also apply for an OCI here as I am unable to travel to the UK? I am new to this forum and to forums in general and I apologize if this isn't the right place 5o post such a question. I will highly appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Hi

You can surrender your passport at Passport Seva Kendra. Once you have the Surrender Certificate, you can approach (with prior appointment) to the nearest FRRO and apply for OCI. I am not sure what will be your status in India once you surrender your passport. This is because you need to have at least 3 months of visa when you submit OCI application to FRRO. May be experts can shed some light.

Speak to FRRO before you take any step.

krisy30
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by krisy30 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:45 pm

Application Date: 17/June/2021
Date of Acknowledgement: 18/June/2021
VFS Center: London - Goswell
Original docs Received back: 22/June/2021
Current Status: Under Process

Dispatched by VFS:
OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED:

lifeRockss1

Post by lifeRockss1 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:42 pm

Thank god for this forum, I was going for my appointment on Monday with just 1 photo, but everyone here mentioned need two photos, so will have to click a new one and re-upload.

one question, do we need self-attested photo copies of all pages of Old Indian Passport?

Dvad
Newly Registered

Post by Dvad » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:49 pm

Hi all,

I am in the process of submitting OCI miscellaneous application as some of my details have changed.

Does anyone know if when using the DX delivery service provided by VFS to return the original documents, can a different delivery address be given on the envelope to the home address listed on the application form?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice

Aragon1

Post by Aragon1 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:08 pm

Indian 6699 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:57 am

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me if the documents we upload in the OCI portal need to be self attested? Or is it just for the physical copies we carry to VFS appointment.

bcilr18
Mood:

Post by bcilr18 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:44 pm

Aragon1 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:08 pm
Indian 6699 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:57 am

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me if the documents we upload in the OCI portal need to be self attested? Or is it just for the physical copies we carry to VFS appointment.
It is just the physical copies you submit to VFS. Only scans of original documents are meant to be uploaded to the portal.

Aragon1

Post by Aragon1 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:25 am

bcilr18 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:44 pm
Aragon1 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:08 pm

Hi,

It is just the physical copies you submit to VFS. Only scans of original documents are meant to be uploaded to the portal.
Thank you bcilr18. That helps a lot.

Arun Mohan C R
Newly Registered

Post by Arun Mohan C R » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:52 pm

Hi All,

Our daughter was born in June 2021 in the UK. My wife and I both have ILR but we are Indian citizens.

With our immediate goal to visit India in mind, we have two options to get the necessary immigration clearances for the baby -

1. Get British passport and then get OCI
2. Get birth registered with the indian consulate and then apply for an indian passport.

Can anyone please guide us with what you think will be the quicker option?

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:49 am

Arun Mohan C R wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:52 pm
Hi All,

Our daughter was born in June 2021 in the UK. My wife and I both have ILR but we are Indian citizens.

With our immediate goal to visit India in mind, we have two options to get the necessary immigration clearances for the baby -

2. Get birth registered with the indian consulate and then apply for an indian passport.

Hi

It depends on how urgent it is for you to travel to India.
1. Option 1 to get British passport (around 2 months to get the Registration Certificate + Passport) and then applying for OCI. The wait time for OCI is at least 5-8 weeks. If you apply for British Passport, the only way to enter India currently is with OCI as Tourist visas are currently suspended.
2. You may go with this option and get an Indian Passport quicker. But bear in mind, you will need right of abode to UK for your baby. You might need to apply for UK visa in that case.

I am sorry I can't tell which is best, but tried elaborating the pros and cons for you to decide well. Hope that helps.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:04 am

rainbowbutterfly wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:49 am
Arun Mohan C R wrote:
Hi All,

Hi

1. Option 1 to get British passport (around 2 months to get the Registration Certificate + Passport) and then applying for OCI. The wait time for OCI is at least 5-8 weeks. If you apply for British Passport, the only way to enter India currently is with OCI as Tourist visas are currently suspended.
2. You may go with this option and get an Indian Passport quicker. But bear in mind, you will need right of abode to UK for your baby. You might need to apply for UK visa in that case.

I am sorry I can't tell which is best, but tried elaborating the pros and cons for you to decide well. Hope that helps.
Incorrect advice in option 1. The child is automatically British as born in the UK to parents who hold ilr. There is NO requirement to apply to register the child as British first. They can apply for a British passport directly for the child using the one week fast track service.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:31 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:04 am
rainbowbutterfly wrote:
Arun Mohan C R wrote:
Hi All,

Hi

Incorrect advice in option 1. The child is automatically British as born in the UK to parents who hold ilr. There is NO requirement to apply to register the child as British first. They can apply for a British passport directly for the child using the one week fast track service.
Thanks CR001. I stand corrected. Is there a fast track for issuing first time British Passport? If the OP chooses to apply for Indian Passport, what happens to the British citizenship? Is it nullified?

Arun Mohan C R
Newly Registered

Post by Arun Mohan C R » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:12 pm

rainbowbutterfly wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:31 am
CR001 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:04 am
rainbowbutterfly wrote:
Arun Mohan C R wrote:
Hi All,

Hi

Thanks CR001. I stand corrected. Is there a fast track for issuing first time British Passport? If the OP chooses to apply for Indian Passport, what happens to the British citizenship? Is it nullified?
Thank you both for your replies.

If we decide to go down the indian passport approach, would we need to apply for a UK visa before going to India or can that be done before coming back to the UK?

On top of the time for both these options, there is a 2 month wait time to get the birth certificate at the council registrar.