ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I still have my right to work in the uk?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kirstybutler05
Newly Registered
India

Do I still have my right to work in the uk?

Post by kirstybutler05 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:52 pm

Hi there,
So I have heard that I am required to update my biometric residence card to biometric residence card issued under the eu settlement scheme. I have received my settled status already and I have applied to up date my card, my appointment is at the end of the month.

I am worried since I am applying for a new job soon, so can I still apply for job or do I have to wait for new card?

Thanks.

kamoe

Re: Do I still have my right to work in the uk?

Post by kamoe » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:34 pm

kirstybutler05 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:52 pm
Hi there,
So I have heard that I am required to update my biometric residence card to biometric residence card issued under the eu settlement scheme. I have received my settled status already and I have applied to up date my card, my appointment is at the end of the month.

I am worried since I am applying for a new job soon, so can I still apply for job or do I have to wait for new card?

Thanks.
Your legal status is separate from the card.

You already have the right. The card will be there just to prove it.

So you can legally apply for jobs and start working even if you don't have the card (actually, even if you didn't have the right to work you could apply for jobs, the issue is applying for jobs and lying about having the right to work, or starting the job without the right to work... but you have the right to work, so you are good in any case).

Now, some employers are still learning how to use the website to verify your status electronically. This doesn't mean you have done anything wrong or ilegal, just that if you are unlucky you might have some hiccups trying to prove your right to work when asked, but legally speaking you are good. You are not lying if you apply and say that you have the right to work in the UK, because that is true.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.