ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ansah
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Ansah » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:51 am

Hi, just recently discovered these boards.

Live in the US, 2nd generation, Irish grandparents. Timeline:

Applied for FBR, sent fees and documents in October 2019.
Received email: pending approval and address verification request June 13, 2021.
Received email: formal congrats and registered mail notice June 24, 2021
Received FBR certificate via registered mail July 6, 2021.

I'm very happy. The passport thing looks like a mess of backlog, though, and I'm not thrilled about the idea of sending my brand new certificate off through the mail system again, as the process could take months from the sounds of it... On the other hand I have no emergent or immediate need to travel to Ireland.

Best of luck to everyone who is still waiting.

dolewhip
United States of America

Post by dolewhip » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:19 am

Ansah wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:51 am

Received email: pending approval and address verification request June 13, 2021.

I'm very happy. The passport thing looks like a mess of backlog, though, and I'm not thrilled about the idea of sending my brand new certificate off through the mail system again, as the process could take months from the sounds of it... On the other hand I have no emergent or immediate need to travel to Ireland.

Sounds like the best timeline one could ask for right now - congrats!

Question: how was the certificate mailed to you, and did you have to sign for it?

Not that it matters at the moment (still waiting for address confirmation email), but I’m going to be traveling for about 4 weeks in September, and I would hate for the certificate to be diverted / sent back because I wasn’t around to receive it.

That’s assuming I get my change of address email in 3-4 weeks (when it could be months), but still.

You also brought up another dimension I’ve been thinking of lately: simplicity of the application. I imagine a parent / grandparent connection is a little easier than greater distance (I’m eligible because my mom is on the list, and it was her grandfather born in Ireland), so that adds change of surname / marriage, divorce, etc. as a factor to my application. Really hoping we gave them everything they need…

Fogg
Newly Registered

Post by Fogg » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:54 am

Some very good news for me!

Documents received email: November 7th 2019
Confirmation of address email: July 6th 2021

The email was very clear that I needed to confirm my address withing 5 working days or it would be sent to the address on file - so if your application may be nearing approval and you're about to go on a two week holiday, have a scan of your proof of address on your phone ready to send just in case.

I'll post again when I have my certificate :D

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:22 pm

Congrats to Ansah & Fogg - happy for you. Two pints for ya tonight.

Now I just copy & paste people's successes and send reply after reply to my address confirmation email from Dec 15th 2020! Still nothing and I doubt anyone reads my emails but it makes me feel better. October & November applicants pass me by ----getting beyond ridiculous at this point. ..and nothing you can do since they have no open line of communications. Absurd is the word for the way this is being done. Venting over...time for coffee.

Congrats again to all. I think I'll take a break from reading posts on this site.They've really sucked the joy of it out of me.

Jgclancy

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:30 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:22 pm

Now I just copy & paste people's successes and send reply after reply to my address confirmation email from Dec 15th 2020! Still nothing and I doubt anyone reads my emails but it makes me feel better. October & November applicants pass me by ----getting beyond ridiculous at this point. ..and nothing you can do since they have no open line of communications. Absurd is the word for the way this is being done. Venting over...time for coffee.

Congrats again to all. I think I'll take a break from reading posts on this site.They've really sucked the joy of it out of me.

Jgclancy
Can't believe you're still waiting. Seven months after your confirmation of address. There's something not right about that. Frustrating that there's no one to speak to. Surely it can't be that much longer.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:40 pm

[/quote]

Can't believe you're still waiting. Seven months after your confirmation of address. There's something not right about that. Frustrating that there's no one to speak to. Surely it can't be that much longer.
[/quote]

LOL....that's what I thought a month ago when people started getting emails! Thanks for the positive thoughts. I've told my cousins I may not be able to relocate this year now. Oh, and property values have risen so buying a place will now cost 5-10% more from what I've read.
I'm guessing they'll finally pop me an email one day and say I need to do something else!

Good Luck to All--JGClancy over & out

Fogg
Newly Registered

Post by Fogg » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:07 pm

Hoping you hear good news soon, JGClancy. I'll have a pint for you too when your turn finally comes.

cdfly
United States of America

Post by cdfly » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:56 pm

Ansah wrote:

Depending on your residency, passport online wasn’t bad at all! I think they cleared through the backlog already. Mine took about 7 weeks ship to receipt date. And so much easier than doing a paper app via your consulate!

dolewhip
United States of America

Post by dolewhip » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:04 pm

jgclancy wrote:

Jgclancy
I'm frustrated simply being leapfrogged by apps received two weeks after mine - can't imagine how you're feeling at this stage. Completely nonsensical.

cdfly
United States of America

Post by cdfly » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:10 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:40 pm
[/quote]

LOL....that's what I thought a month ago when people started getting emails! Thanks for the positive thoughts. I've told my cousins I may not be able to relocate this year now. Oh, and property values have risen so buying a place will now cost 5-10% more from what I've read.
I'm guessing they'll finally pop me an email one day and say I need to do something else!

Good Luck to All--JGClancy over & out
[/quote]

Have you tried sending a query via the passport team? Perhaps they can give you a contact on the FBR team to follow up with as that seems to be an issue with the printing/dispatching team rather than the approvers.

Ansah
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Ansah » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:27 pm

dolewhip wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:19 am

Question: how was the certificate mailed to you, and did you have to sign for it?

Not that it matters at the moment (still waiting for address confirmation email), but I’m going to be traveling for about 4 weeks in September, and I would hate for the certificate to be diverted / sent back because I wasn’t around to receive it.

That’s assuming I get my change of address email in 3-4 weeks (when it could be months), but still.

You also brought up another dimension I’ve been thinking of lately: simplicity of the application. I imagine a parent / grandparent connection is a little easier than greater distance (I’m eligible because my mom is on the list, and it was her grandfather born in Ireland), so that adds change of surname / marriage, divorce, etc. as a factor to my application. Really hoping we gave them everything they need…
It was mailed Registered Post, and though the An Post envelope says Signature Required in block lettering, I did not have to sign for it. The US postal worker just left it in the mailbox. But this doesn't mean that you or anyone else won't have to sign. I think individual mail carriers where I live are given (whether officially or unofficially) some latitude about this, and Covid has had the de facto effect of relaxing these requirements too.

But the safest assumption to make is that you (or someone at your residence) will have to sign for it. You can't count on your mail carrier making the same decision mine did.

I don't know how your situation works, with your Mom and her grandfather. Is your case still non-discretionary? IOW, with an Irish parent or grandparent, my understanding is that citizenship a non-discretionary entitlement. The documentation only needs to provide direct evidence of the lineage from an Irish grandparent to me, with the relevant birth/death/marriage certificates. This makes it less of an application that can be approved or denied based on discretionary factors, and more of a claim.

But if you've already sent it in, I guess the only thing to do is wait to hear what they say. Good luck.

Ansah
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Ansah » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:40 pm

jgclancy wrote:

Jgclancy
Sorry for your trouble. They claim they are processing everything in order of date submitted. so if you're being leapfrogged by months, this may well indicated that something fouled-up. I can only imagine that lines of communication are bad, but I would probably be pestering everyone I possibly could, here:

https://www.dfa.ie/about-us/contact-us/

Or even try walking into a consulate, if you can get to one. Hope you get it sorted.

dolewhip
United States of America

Post by dolewhip » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:48 pm

Ansah wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:27 pm
dolewhip wrote:

It was mailed Registered Post, and though the An Post envelope says Signature Required in block lettering, I did not have to sign for it. The US postal worker just left it in the mailbox. But this doesn't mean that you or anyone else won't have to sign. I think individual mail carriers where I live are given (whether officially or unofficially) some latitude about this, and Covid has had the de facto effect of relaxing these requirements too.

But the safest assumption to make is that you (or someone at your residence) will have to sign for it. You can't count on your mail carrier making the same decision mine did.

I don't know how your situation works, with your Mom and her grandfather. Is your case still non-discretionary? IOW, with an Irish parent or grandparent, my understanding is that citizenship a non-discretionary entitlement. The documentation only needs to provide direct evidence of the lineage from an Irish grandparent to me, with the relevant birth/death/marriage certificates. This makes it less of an application that can be approved or denied based on discretionary factors, and more of a claim.

But if you've already sent it in, I guess the only thing to do is wait to hear what they say. Good luck.
Thank you! That's helpful information to have - I'm growing a little concerned that my delivery date will be when I'm out of town, but who knows - it's possible that window will come and go while I'm still waiting for address confirmation.

Per the eligibility rules, I'm definitely eligible for the FBR on the basis of having a parent Irish citizen (my mom joined the list years before I was born). That's also the reason expectant parents are able to expedite their applications - they have to be on the list before their child is born to maintain the link.

Rules here - https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abr ... ign-birth/

If you were born outside of Ireland, you can become an Irish citizen if:

1. One of your grandparents was born in Ireland, or;
2. One of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, even though they were not born in Ireland.

Still, my mom joined the list with her maiden name (and has been married more than once since), so marriage and divorce certificates were involved in proving I'm related to the person on the list. Not sure those docs were 'official' enough, but everything else should be in line.

Ansah
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Ansah » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:33 pm

cdfly wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:56 pm
Depending on your residency, passport online wasn’t bad at all! I think they cleared through the backlog already. Mine took about 7 weeks ship to receipt date. And so much easier than doing a paper app via your consulate!
Thanks for this, it's encouraging. I'm inclined to just go ahead and apply now, get it over with. However long it might take, the sooner one applies the sooner the process should conclude, at least in theory.

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:55 pm

dolewhip wrote:
Ansah wrote:

I think you didn’t need to send in all those documents aside from your parents FBR certificate. As in, did you send in previous generation certificates from grandparents and great grandparents? From my understanding if the previous generation is on the FBR then they don’t need to go further generations back for documents. There should have been a list of required documents when you printed the application form anyway.

Luna2019
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Luna2019 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:37 pm

I received a confirm address email in December 2020, and nothing since.

When I got that email, I just wrote back and said: "yes, that is still my address." Should I have done something further? Did they actually want a utility bill or some other proof of address?

Next month, it will be two years since we applied so I am frustrated. I wonder now if something is wrong since others are getting approved.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Post by Mr_Knight » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:15 pm

dolewhip wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:48 pm
Ansah wrote:
dolewhip wrote:

Thank you! That's helpful information to have - I'm growing a little concerned that my delivery date will be when I'm out of town, but who knows - it's possible that window will come and go while I'm still waiting for address confirmation.

Per the eligibility rules, I'm definitely eligible for the FBR on the basis of having a parent Irish citizen (my mom joined the list years before I was born). That's also the reason expectant parents are able to expedite their applications - they have to be on the list before their child is born to maintain the link.

2. One of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, even though they were not born in Ireland.

Still, my mom joined the list with her maiden name (and has been married more than once since), so marriage and divorce certificates were involved in proving I'm related to the person on the list. Not sure those docs were 'official' enough, but everything else should be in line.
I dont know about US birth certificates but on my UK birth certificate my mothers maiden name is on it too. Which helps link me to her. And her fathers name is on her birth certificate & marriage certificate. Its pretty cool how those documents can be used even for genealogical purposes.

dolewhip
United States of America

Post by dolewhip » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:24 pm

jamiepompey wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:55 pm
I think you didn’t need to send in all those documents aside from your parents FBR certificate. As in, did you send in previous generation certificates from grandparents and great grandparents? From my understanding if the previous generation is on the FBR then they don’t need to go further generations back for documents. There should have been a list of required documents when you printed the application form anyway.
Mr_Knight wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:15 pm
I dont know about US birth certificates but on my UK birth certificate my mothers maiden name is on it too. Which helps link me to her. And her fathers name is on her birth certificate & marriage certificate. Its pretty cool how those documents can be used even for genealogical purposes.
Interesting - your mother's maiden name is on your UK birth certificate?

I can't remember what my certificate looks like (haven't seen it in 21 months), but mine is also UK! Born in London, lived there for two years before moving to USA.

That would certainly make things simpler - we had the necessary marriage + divorce + marriage certificates, but I'm worried one may have been a 'certified copy' instead of original. Everything else submitted should be original, including her FBR certificate.

Can't think of any other reason why my case would be complicated - even sent in a copy of my great-grandfather's birth certificate (followed all the requirements but added some extra supporting docs we had around). Just trying to rationalize why others who submitted their docs after me would be getting added before, but I guess that's not unusual right now.

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:51 am

dolewhip wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:24 pm
jamiepompey wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:55 pm
Mr_Knight wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:15 pm
Interesting - your mother's maiden name is on your UK birth certificate?

I can't remember what my certificate looks like (haven't seen it in 21 months), but mine is also UK! Born in London, lived there for two years before moving to USA.

That would certainly make things simpler - we had the necessary marriage + divorce + marriage certificates, but I'm worried one may have been a 'certified copy' instead of original. Everything else submitted should be original, including her FBR certificate.

Can't think of any other reason why my case would be complicated - even sent in a copy of my great-grandfather's birth certificate (followed all the requirements but added some extra supporting docs we had around). Just trying to rationalize why others who submitted their docs after me would be getting added before, but I guess that's not unusual right now.
A certified copy counts as an original. All, certificates are copies by definition as they are a copy of the official register held by the register office. You should be fine.

dolewhip
United States of America

Post by dolewhip » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:18 pm

jamiepompey wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:51 am
A certified copy counts as an original. All, certificates are copies by definition as they are a copy of the official register held by the register office. You should be fine.
Cheers, that's helpful. I know I'm 100% eligible and submitted everything necessary, but seeing later applications start to pass through has me deconstructing what may have delayed mine, when in reality it could be completely down to the processing team.

Angelo_2019
United States of America

Post by Angelo_2019 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:54 pm

Fogg wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:54 am
Some very good news for me!

Documents received email: November 7th 2019
Confirmation of address email: July 6th 2021

The email was very clear that I needed to confirm my address withing 5 working days or it would be sent to the address on file - so if your application may be nearing approval and you're about to go on a two week holiday, have a scan of your proof of address on your phone ready to send just in case.

I'll post again when I have my certificate :D
Morbid curiosity - can anyone confirm that if we don't reply to the email, they actually send it to the address we used to apply?

I have no change of address, hoping the FBR actually follows their plan to clear the back log by the end of the year (end of 2021 will be almost 2 1/2 years for me).

Ansah
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Ansah » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:40 pm

Angelo_2019 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:54 pm

Morbid curiosity - can anyone confirm that if we don't reply to the email, they actually send it to the address we used to apply?

I have no change of address, hoping the FBR actually follows their plan to clear the back log by the end of the year (end of 2021 will be almost 2 1/2 years for me).
On the address confirmation letter I got, it says:

If no notification of a new address is received within 5 working days, your Foreign Birth Registration Certificate and all documents will be sent to the address noted on your application.

So it appears that the answer to your question is yes they will.

AntrimGrandchild
United States of America

Post by AntrimGrandchild » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:16 pm

Hello to everyone! A final update 2 years after the whole process began...

FBR application received in Dublin: 6 June 2019
FBR address confirmation email: 8 October 2020
FBR congrats email: 19 October 2020 (through DFA chat) and officially 22 March 2021
FBR certificate received: 2 April 2021
Passport application filled out, mailed and received in Balbriggan: 29 April 2021 and 8 May 2021
Passport Book received: 28 June 2021

Sincerely the best of luck to everyone still waiting and who have recently applied. Ireland is a beautiful place to be connected to. Special shoutout to JGClancy who I hope doesn't have to wait much longer!! You all made it easy to track this process - thanks for the thread and the people in it!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:57 pm

AntrimGrandchild wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:16 pm
Hello to everyone! A final update 2 years after the whole process began...

FBR application received in Dublin: 6 June 2019
FBR address confirmation email: 8 October 2020
FBR congrats email: 19 October 2020 (through DFA chat) and officially 22 March 2021
FBR certificate received: 2 April 2021
Passport application filled out, mailed and received in Balbriggan: 29 April 2021 and 8 May 2021
Passport Book received: 28 June 2021

Sincerely the best of luck to everyone still waiting and who have recently applied. Ireland is a beautiful place to be connected to. Special shoutout to JGClancy who I hope doesn't have to wait much longer!! You all made it easy to track this process - thanks for the thread and the people in it!
Bravo on completion of the process. A June 2019 applicant too. Thanks for the positive waves...I've run out enjoy itall

jgclancy

cdfly
United States of America

Post by cdfly » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:39 pm

dolewhip wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:48 pm
Ansah wrote:
dolewhip wrote:

I asked the dfa officer for a tracking number and copied it into my usps informed digest and make sure I was around ☺️