ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Best Visa Option

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Garf66
Newly Registered
Thailand

Best Visa Option

Post by Garf66 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:12 pm

Hello everyone, just wondering if there was a better visa option than renewing my wife's spouse visa? She has now been living in the UK for 5 years using a spouse visa which is due to expire. We have been married for 7 years and have an 18 month old daughter who was born in the UK and has a British passport.

I would eventually like ILR but she cannot read English so I cannot see her passing the Life in the UK exam. Is there a way to get ILR without taking the exam? I should also add that she is a Thai national.

Thanks for reading and any advice gratefully received.
Garf.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Best Visa Option

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:01 pm

Is there a way to get ILR without taking the exam?
No.

She can extend her spouse visa as many times as she chooses.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:37 pm

Garf66 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:12 pm
she cannot read English
If she can speak and comprehend spoken English, I believe that both the book and the actual test for the LITUK are available in solely audio format.

You may want to check with your local library if the audiobook is available through them.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Garf66
Newly Registered
Thailand

Post by Garf66 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:43 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:01 pm
Is there a way to get ILR without taking the exam?
No.

She can extend her spouse visa as many times as she chooses.
Thank you. I will certainly be extending her visa next month.

Garf66
Newly Registered
Thailand

Post by Garf66 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:45 am

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:37 pm
Garf66 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:12 pm
she cannot read English
If she can speak and comprehend spoken English, I believe that both the book and the actual test for the LITUK are available in solely audio format.

You may want to check with your local library if the audiobook is available through them.
That sounds promising and i shall certainly be looking into an audio test if available. Many thanks. :D