ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration or naturalisation of my son

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

curiousja
India

Registration or naturalisation of my son

Post by curiousja » Tue May 25, 2021 5:36 pm

Hi
I would like to thanks all the moderators who helped me over the time, big thanks to all of you!!

I along with my wife and son are planning to apply for British citizenship (BC) soon.

Background: I along with my wife and son got our ILR in 2019. We all were born in India.

I have some confusions, please help me with the following points-

 Do I need to apply for my son’s registration as BC or naturalisation as BC?

 Does it matter if we apply for our naturalisation first (via AN form) or first we apply for our son’s registration process?

 If registration, can we fill MN1 form even though my son is not born in the UK?

 He is 17 years of age, and studying here, does he require an English test or Life in UK, I guess not as he is <18?

 As he is 17, as a father, can I fill his form on his behalf and put my email address or he has to do it and put his email address?

 Under which category can I apply for his registration as a BC?

 In terms of Referees, can I use one who is Irish and knows my son in the school, does it cover the professional relationship, and other is a family friend who is BC with age more than 25?

 This is in continuation of the above point, is there any preference whether the first referee should know my son professionally and the second one can be a BC or vice-versa or we can put them in the form in any order?

Thanks!
Looking forward to a reply from the respected moderators!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Registration or naturalisation of my son

Post by CR001 » Tue May 25, 2021 5:46 pm

 Do I need to apply for my son’s registration as BC or naturalisation as BC?
Children under 18 are registered as British. Only adults are naturalised.
 Does it matter if we apply for our naturalisation first (via AN form) or first we apply for our son’s registration process?
Your child only qualifies to apply for citizenship when either parent does.
 If registration, can we fill MN1 form even though my son is not born in the UK?
MN1 is the ONLY form he can use.
 He is 17 years of age, and studying here, does he require an English test or Life in UK, I guess not as he is <18?
No,as he is under 18.
 As he is 17, as a father, can I fill his form on his behalf and put my email address or he has to do it and put his email address?
Yes fine for your email.
 Under which category can I apply for his registration as a BC?
Section 3(1) which is at discretion.
 In terms of Referees, can I use one who is Irish and knows my son in the school, does it cover the professional relationship, and other is a family friend who is BC with age more than 25?
Depends what the Irish persons profrsaion is.
 This is in continuation of the above point, is there any preference whether the first referee should know my son professionally and the second one can be a BC or vice-versa or we can put them in the form in any order?
Any order. They must have known him ideally for 3 years.

Also, it is unclear from your previous posts when exactly your spouse received ilr?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Tue May 25, 2021 6:10 pm

CR001 Thanks for a prompt reply!
Apologies if it was not clear earlier- My wife and myself both got ILR in 2019, and planning to apply for naturalisation soon.

“Section 3(1) which is at discretion.”
Sorry just checking again, I can’t use Section 3(1) until either of the parents gets the BC? correct?

So we have to apply for our naturalisation first and then only our son can apply for his registration? Correct?

Also is there any other section that we can apply if parents and son have ILR, and all have passed the qualifying period?

“Depends what the Irish persons profrsaion is.”
He/She is a school teacher, can he/she sign as a professional referee?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 25, 2021 6:18 pm

Apologies if it was not clear earlier- My wife and myself both got ILR in 2019, and planning to apply for naturalisation soon.
When did your son get ilr and when does he rurn 18?
Sorry just checking again, I can’t use Section 3(1) until either of the parents gets the BC? correct?
He can apply at the same time as either parent.
So we have to apply for our naturalisation first and then only our son can apply for his registration? Correct?
No,you can all apply at the same time.
Also is there any other section that we can apply if parents and son have ILR, and all have passed the qualifying period?
For your son there is ONLY Section 3(1) that he can apply under. None of the other are relevant to him.
Yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue May 25, 2021 6:28 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 6:18 pm
When did your son get ilr
curiousja wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 6:10 pm
Background: I along with my wife and son got our ILR in 2019.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 25, 2021 6:33 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 6:28 pm
CR001 wrote:
curiousja wrote:
My question was based on the previous topics where the OP got ilr separately to the dependents, who applied in December 2019, hence my question of when they received ilr as no posts were made to update outcome and it could have been a standard app.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/ilr-for-depe ... l#p1858979
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue May 25, 2021 6:37 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 6:33 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 6:28 pm
CR001 wrote:
curiousja wrote:
My question was based on the previous topics where the OP got ilr separately to the dependents, who applied in December 2019, hence my question of when they received ilr as no posts were made to update outcome and it could have been a standard app.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/ilr-for-depe ... l#p1858979
True the dates do not match in case it was a standard application. Looks like OP applied for wife and son via SP service for them to be approved in 2019 as the post is from Dec 2019.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Tue May 25, 2021 7:30 pm

Hi

Apologies CR001, if it was not clear earlier. I got my ILR in Aug 2019, and my wife and son got it in Dec 2019.

Please help on the following-

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:32 pm

CR001 wrote:
When did your son get ilr and when does he rurn 18?
He can apply at the same time as either parent.
No,you can all apply at the same time.
For your son there is ONLY Section 3(1) that he can apply under. None of the other are relevant to him.
Yes.
I already answered your questions!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Tue May 25, 2021 7:47 pm

Thanks CR001!

My son got ILR in Dec 2019, and he will be 18 in Feb 2022.

Sorry for asking again, so we don’t need to get our BC before my son’s application.

And I along with my wife can submit our naturalisation via AN, and then we can submit my son’s registration (via MN1) under section 3(1) which is at discretion, correct?

Thanks!!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:48 pm

curiousja wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:47 pm
Thanks CR001!

My son got ILR in Dec 2019, and he will be 18 in Feb 2022.

Sorry for asking again, so we don’t need to get our BC before my son’s application.

And I along with my wife can submit our naturalisation via AN, and then we can submit my son’s registration (via MN1) under section 3(1) which is at discretion, correct?

Thanks!!
You can all apply at the same time.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Tue May 25, 2021 8:14 pm

Thanks again CR001!!
One question regarding the photo that we need to put in MN1form.
I guess it is not mandatory to wear glasses in their photo, and they can take the photos without glasses even though they wear in practice. correct?
Thanks!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue May 25, 2021 10:41 pm

curiousja wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:14 pm
Thanks again CR001!!
One question regarding the photo that we need to put in MN1form.
I guess it is not mandatory to wear glasses in their photo, and they can take the photos without glasses even though they wear in practice. correct?
Thanks!
Does not matter.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue May 25, 2021 10:43 pm

Also as advised already, you ALL can apply together. Clarifying further, you all can be in the same ACCOUNT and apply at the same time. You can start the AN form and create ONE account. The same account will let you add family members. You can add your partner and child as “child below 18.” The child’s form will automatically adapt to MN1 then.
Everyone has to meet requirements on their own and no one is considered a dependent for Naturalisation/registration purpose. However, family members can apply in the same account but fill individual forms.

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:08 pm

Hi CR001, Cullinan

For myself and wife we are filling AN form and form my son <18, filling MN1 form, is that Ok? or we need to apply my son within AN form and not have to fill MN1 form?

Thanks!

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:19 pm

Hi CR001

Regarding my wife-

She had a name before marriage as Miss AB
and after marriage, it changed to Mrs. AC (surname changed).

Regarding the following question in the AN form-

In addition to the names already provided, are you now or have you ever been known by another name?(Required)
You must provide all your names. For example, if you changed your name after marriage or have a different name that you use for professional purposes.

The above question refers to the name before marriage, correct?

Please also see highlighted answers and suggest whether they are correct?

Title Mrs.
Other given name(s) A
Your given name is usually your first name.

Other family name B
Your family name is the surname shared by your family.

Here I mentioned surname before marriage, correct?

Why have you been known by another name?(Required)
Marriage or civil partnership correct?
Divorce
Other

If you legally changed your name, when did you do this (if applicable)?(Required)
Enter date in the format DD MM YYYY Date of marriage (written in marriage certificate, issued in India)
Day

Regarding legal change name- we will submit marriage certificate and current passport is that correct?

Thanks in advance!!

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:31 pm

Hi CR001 and other respected moderators,

As I mentioned above, myself, my wife, and my son all got ILR, and have passed more than 1 year.

My son is born in India.

Please suggest I along with my wife are filling AN form for naturalisation as a British citizen, do we need to add my son in the same (AN) form (He is <18), OR fill MN1 form separately for him for his registration as British citizen?

Looking forward to your reply,

Thanks!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:59 pm

At the end of your own AN form you can specify to include another family member - for your child select "under 18" option and the system will adapt to form MN1. You don't have to apply separately.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:41 pm

Thanks, I had an impression that both the forms are separate, AN is for naturalisation and MN1 is for registration so if I select under 18 in AN form and add my son (who is born in India), it will connect with the MN1 form correct? and he will register as a British citizen and not naturalised as a British citizen correct?

Thanks!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:53 pm

Correct form will adapt to MN.
Note - Adults mainly get naturalised (some adults may have a claim to register, but not in your case) - children only get registered, you cannot select naturalisation for them.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:46 pm

Thanks, sorry, just confirming if I understood correctly, by adding my son (<18) into AN form as under 18, he will register as a British citizen, and myself and my wife will be naturalised, correct?

Thanks!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:02 am

Correct - note that when you add a child to your application the system will adjust automatically to form MN1 for the child.

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:29 am

Thanks, I suppose, just for curiosity, if we want, we can apply separately as well: two ANs and MN1 or it is better to apply together. If we apply separately, I suppose they have visibility of all applications and they can link them?

Thanks!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:20 pm

You are free to apply separately or as a family. The cost is the same for each applicant and everyone is assessed individually so the decisions may come in on different dates. There is no better or worse as far as I know.