ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

regarding citizenship for daughter

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

yaseengani

regarding citizenship for daughter

Post by yaseengani » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:37 pm

Hi
I just got the good news today that my daughter ILR application has been successful. Thank you everyone her for your invaluable feedbacks, suggestions during the application process.
Brief history : I became a British citizen 2 years ago through TIER 2-->ILR route. Now with my daughter having received her ILR status, can I immediately apply for citizenship or the waiting period is 12 months, like it is for adults ?
Thanks
regards
Y

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: regarding citizenship for daughter

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:33 pm

can I immediately apply for citizensh
Yes, provided the other parent also holds ilr or is British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

yaseengani

Post by yaseengani » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:47 pm

Hi,
I got the ILR as a sole parent with parental responsibility as my wife is in India to take care of my other daughter there. My wife has only tier 2 visa and given that she us in India for 2 years now, she won't be eligible to apply for ILR either. So what happens now ? Can't my daughter become a British citizen based on my status as a British citizen ? ( My daughter is 16 years old) .

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:55 pm

yaseengani wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:47 pm
Can't my daughter become a British citizen based on my status as a British citizen ?
You can try, but you may fail and lose the entire registration fees.
Registration of children as British citizens caseworker guidance wrote:(Page 29)
Child’s parents’ circumstances

To register a child under this provision you should normally be satisfied that one of the parents is either a British citizen or has applied to be registered or naturalised as a British citizen and the application is going to be granted, and either:
•the other parent is settled in the UK
•the other parent is unlikely in the short or medium term to be returnable to their country of origin and there is no other reason to believe that the child’s future lies outside the UK

If the child’s parents have divorced or separated and the child does not have ongoing contact with the other parent you should be satisfied that either:
•the parent having day-to-day responsibility for the child is, or is about to become a British citizen
•the parent having day-to-day responsibility is settled here but there are strong reasons why registration would be appropriate It will rarely be right to register a child neither of whose parents is or is about to become a British citizen.

However, each case must be considered on its individual merits and there may be exceptional circumstances to justify registration on in a particular case such as:

•older children (16 and above) who have spent most of their life in the UK or children who require citizenship to follow a particular career such as in the Armed Forces
•the child’s future clearly lies in the UK
•the person making the application has day-to-day responsibility for the child’s upbringing and is, or is about to become, a British citizen
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

yaseengani

Post by yaseengani » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:13 pm

Oh my god :( !! So what is the solution ? Should I hire an immigration solicitor ?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:33 pm

yaseengani wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:13 pm
Oh my god :( !! So what is the solution ?
Wait until your daughter's 18th birthday and she can naturalise as an adult in her own right, meeting the same requirements as you (English language test, LITUK, meeting the absence and physical presence requirements, etc).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

yaseengani

Post by yaseengani » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:45 pm

Thank you very much for your time and advice. Dealing with immigration is always layered with so many twists, turns and complication :-( .
Thanks
Regards
Y

yaseengani

Post by yaseengani » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:55 pm

Hi
If I set the condition of my wife not living in UK or not having ILR,will my daughter be eligible to apply for naturalisation immediately after ILR or wi byhe have to wait for 1 year ?
Second question : in case her naturalisation gets declined for above reason, does that means she will lose her right to apply again or her ILR ? Because I am thinking of taking a chance and hire an immigration solicitor to give it a try ?