ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can refugees use national passport for identification purposes (giving marriage notice)?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

TheOneDesire1
Newly Registered

Can refugees use national passport for identification purposes (giving marriage notice)?

Post by TheOneDesire1 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:02 pm

Dear everyone,
I hope you are having a great summer.

Long story short, I am in the process of giving a notice for marriage in the UK (next month), I do have the refugee status, and I currently hold a valid original national passport that the home office returned to me after granting me with asylum. I am aware that I cannot renew this passport or travel on it as this means that I am re-availing myself to the protection of my country of origin, however, can I use this passport to prove my nationality when I give notice for my marriage? (they require a passport or a convention travel document to prove nationality).

I am aware that I can apply for a convention travel document, but seeing the processing timeline (4-5 months) to obtain this one I am in a tight spot as I am only one month away from giving the notice.

I'd appreciate any advice or help you can give me, have anyone been in a similar situation and used their national passports for (identification) purposes?

Cheers!

London22
Member of Standing

Re: Can refugees use national passport for identification purposes (giving marriage notice)?

Post by London22 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:37 pm

TheOneDesire1 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:02 pm
Dear everyone,
I hope you are having a great summer.

Long story short, I am in the process of giving a notice for marriage in the UK (next month), I do have the refugee status, and I currently hold a valid original national passport that the home office returned to me after granting me with asylum. I am aware that I cannot renew this passport or travel on it as this means that I am re-availing myself to the protection of my country of origin, however, can I use this passport to prove my nationality when I give notice for my marriage? (they require a passport or a convention travel document to prove nationality).

I am aware that I can apply for a convention travel document, but seeing the processing timeline (4-5 months) to obtain this one I am in a tight spot as I am only one month away from giving the notice.

I'd appreciate any advice or help you can give me, have anyone been in a similar situation and used their national passports for (identification) purposes?

Cheers!
There is nothing wrong in using national passport that they have returned you for the purpose of ID .It can be used to open an account or applying for a job .Travelling on it can cause a chaos .