ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switch Student Visa to Work Visa Within UK

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

lubaz20
Newly Registered
Thailand

Switch Student Visa to Work Visa Within UK

Post by lubaz20 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:41 pm

Hi All

I have recently moved into UK with student visa and currently studying post-graduate course. My course will end in Jul 2022.

I have now been offered a job from a registered sponsor/employer. I have a masters degree from Australia. Can I switch to work visa from current student visa before completing my course within UK?

Is it mandatory to complete the current course under student visa and obtain UK degree before switching into work visa? Can I use my Australian masters degree?

Please let me know and thank you all in advance.

Regards

lolo2
Venezuela

Re: Switch Student Visa to Work Visa Within UK

Post by lolo2 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:46 pm

I understand that you can apply for the SW route up to three months before your course completion, or after you have completed 12 months of study if you are doing a PhD.

Also you will need to provide an expected course completion letter from the University as part of your application when applying to switch from Student to SW before your course completion.

You have just started your course and I do not think you can switch now. However, you still can work up to 20 hours a week during term-time with your current student visa, provided that your current leave allows you to do so.

Your Australian degree is irrelevant for this purpose.

Sha2019
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Post by Sha2019 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:23 pm

Hi Moderators

Could you please confirm if this correct that switching to work visa needs UK bachelors degree under new post brexit immigration rules?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:28 pm

Sha2019 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:23 pm
Hi Moderators

Could you please confirm if this correct that switching to work visa needs UK bachelors degree under new post brexit immigration rules?

Thanks
Brexit has nothing to do with the points based visa routes. Brexit only affected EU citizens.

Also, who are you asking for as your previous topics state you have ILR?

Also please DO NOT tag your questions onto other members topics!!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

lubaz20
Newly Registered
Thailand

Post by lubaz20 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:05 pm

Thank you for your response.

Where can I find that I will need to complete the course before switching into SW visa? Can you please give me some links to the guidance? I cannot find anything since old Tier2 replaced with SW visa.

Please can you confirm.

Thanks.

mike_21
Newly Registered

Post by mike_21 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:11 am

Unlike the old T2, I do not think that course completion is specified as a requirement for switching from Student Visa to the new SW visa. Therefore OP you may proceed so long as your new employer is happy that you will either be a) continue studying while being employed with them b) drop out your current study.