ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CTA - requirement for the British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Nemesis1234
Newly Registered

CTA - requirement for the British Citizenship

Post by Nemesis1234 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:14 pm

Hi guys,
This is my first post.
My wife is irish and she want to apply british citizenship, (she travelled from ireland in 1989).

As an irish citizen what documents does she need to show to apply citizenship application , as an eea national you have to exercising treaty rights , but as an irish you have special status in uk , no immigration restriction.

My question is that what is the requirement for CTA national to apply british citizenship?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: CTA - requirement for the British Citizenship

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:51 pm

Page 20 - AN Guidance:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _final.pdf
Your wife has freedom from immigration restrictions by virtue of being an Irish citizen/CTA.
She will still have to provide proof of residency - for three years back from the application date (presumably you are a British citizen). This could be P60s or Council Tax Bills. English test not required but Life in the UK test. Referee declarations. Copy of your British passport and marriage certificate.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Nemesis1234
Newly Registered

Post by Nemesis1234 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:57 am

Hi alterhase58,

Thank you for your response,

Myself - non EEA of Irish citizen (got my 5 year visa on 2018 and onward got my settle status on 2019) need two more years to apply for British citizenship

My Wife - Irish national (not require but we applied and got settle status on 2019 )
My Wife Work History - Never work, She start working from 2017 till now

if my wife become British citizen so I don't need to wait for 5 year I can apply British citizenship in 3 year as a spouse of British citizen.

if we apply for British application online which category/route should I have to choose

Are you either:
An EEA national who has been issued with a permanent residence document
A family member of an EEA national who has been issued with a permanent residence card

What will you use to apply for British citizenship?
Indefinite leave to remain (ILR), including ILR granted under the EU Settlement Scheme

let say if I choose by settlement Scheme settle status then I have to proof her 5 year working record which I cannot provide as she started working from 2017 (as an Irish citizen she dent need to exercise treaty rights), i am a bit confuse how to fill the application.

I will be thankful if you can guide me. Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:10 am

if my wife become British citizen so I don't need to wait for 5 year I can apply British citizenship in 3 year as a spouse of British citizen.
No you cannot. You need 5 years residence before you can apply for Settled Status. Once you have Settled Status, if your spouse is British at that point, only then can you apply for British citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:12 am

What wife is proving is not her work record, it's her residency period (5 years), which is a requirement of naturalisation (which does not come under UK immigration regulations, but the British Nationality act with different requirements). If she has five years worth of P60s or council tax bills with her name on that would be acceptable.

So selecting Settled Status should be ok as she has it anyway - she should supply relevant documents for five years back plus an explanatory note explaining that she is an Irish citizen (though obvious from her passport of course).

Note that being an Irish citizen does not exempt from complying with the naturalisation requirements - Irish citizenship covers the "freedom from immigration restriction" aspect.

Unless I'm missing something - others may wish to add their comments.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Nemesis1234
Newly Registered

Post by Nemesis1234 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:44 am

CR001 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:10 am
No you cannot. You need 5 years residence before you can apply for Settled Status. Once you have Settled Status, if your spouse is British at that point, only then can you apply for British citizenship.
Thank you CR001 for your response,

As I said I already have settled status, but for British citizenship I have to wait 2 more year (2018 - 2023) then I am eligible to apply for naturalization.
If my Irish wife become British citizen then I don't need to wait for 5 years then I can apply for British citizenship.

Nemesis1234
Newly Registered

Post by Nemesis1234 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:45 am

Thank you alterhase58 for your helpful response.

Nemesis1234
Newly Registered

Post by Nemesis1234 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:48 pm

Hi alterhase58 & CR001

Thank you guys for your help.

One last question , how can i find out about my wife record in Willesden County Court judgement if any ? (My wife has a memory issue , not sure but she had a dispute with her landlord long time ago)

How to find out if a person has been ruled against by judge in the past?

Thank you

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:55 pm

No experience of this but try searching on
https://www.trustonline.org.uk/
Quote: "TrustOnline is operated by Registry Trust and provides access to the official statutory Register of Judgments, Orders and Fines for England and Wales on behalf of the Ministry of Justice."

A CCJ is not an issue if applicant has complied with the conditions of the CCJ, i.e. paid in full or per payment plan.

Nemesis1234
Newly Registered

Post by Nemesis1234 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:11 pm

So what you recommend ? Should i say yes to this Question? (She paid and everything is clear)

Convictions and other penalties

- At any time have you ever had any of the following, in the UK or in another country?
- A criminal conviction
- A penalty for a driving offence, for example disqualification for speeding or no motor insurance
- An arrest or charge for which you are currently on, or awaiting trial
- A caution, warning, reprimand or other penalty A civil court judgment against you, for example for non payment of debt, bankruptcy proceedings or anti-social behaviour
- A civil penalty issued under UK immigration law

Nemesis1234
Newly Registered

Post by Nemesis1234 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:47 am

Thank you alterhase58 for your help.

I got the answer

https://immigrationlawyers-london.com/b ... to-ccj.php