ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work in Gibraltar

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Rick2021
Newly Registered
Zimbabwe

Work in Gibraltar

Post by Rick2021 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:35 am

Good Morning,
I have an ancestry visa, can I live and work in Gibraltar or any other British overseas territory ?
What about Jersey or Guernsey or Isle of Man ?
And will this time of employment count towards my UK residency ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Work in Gibraltar

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:10 am

I have an ancestry visa, can I live and work in Gibraltar or any other British overseas territory ?
No. A UK Ancestry visa is only relevant for the UK, not the overseas territories.
I don't think you can. The Guidance and rules only refer to the UK. Note that Jersey and Isle of Man have their own immigration rules and routes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:58 am

Rick2021 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:35 am
Continuous residence requirement for settlement on the UK Ancestry route
UKA 14.1. The applicant must meet the continuous residence requirement in Appendix Continuous Residence during the period in UKA 13.1.
CR 2.4.
Any time the applicant spent lawfully in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man is treated for the purpose of this Appendix as time spent in the UK provided the applicant’s most recent grant of permission was in the UK.
SCHEDULE 4.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:05 pm

@vinny, would an Ancestry visa issued by the UK government be automatically valid in the Crown dependencies (the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) or will the OP need to apply for a fresh Ancestry visa from the governments of those places in order to work there?

To the OP: Each Crown Dependency has separate immigration laws applicable to non-British citizens (even though they are aligned to the UK's policies) and not all visas are transferable across jurisdictions. Once you acquire British citizenship, you can move and work freely across the UK and Crown Dependency, but as a non-British citizen, you may be subject to visas issued by differing authorities and differing laws and requirements.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:05 pm

Suggest OP ask the governments of those places to confirm in writing?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.