ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting British Citizenship with Irish Nationality post-Brexit

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Elstepho33
Newly Registered
Canada

Getting British Citizenship with Irish Nationality post-Brexit

Post by Elstepho33 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:18 pm

Hoping someone can help - Home Office responses take ages and are less than helpful!

I'm currently living in England and have both Irish and Canadian nationality. I have been living here since late 2000 and obtained permanent residency in 2017 (old blue card, not BPR card).

I recently went online to complete the form to become a naturalised British citizen and got stuck at the question asking for details of BRP. I emailed the Home Office, who said I would need to apply for a BRP before I can apply for Citizenship, but looking at the BRP application form, it expects you to have a visa stamp in your passport - which I don't have as I've been living here under my Irish passport. There are no other options on the site for obtaining BRP from an old RP (at least none that I could see!)

I have not applied for EUSS (and no longer can) as it was not a requirement to obtain this as an Irish resident of the UK.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of proceeding with my BC application?

Thanks in advance!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Getting British Citizenship with Irish Nationality post-Brexit

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:08 pm

You don't need a BRP - not strictly necessary for naturalisation.
Your proof of freedom from UK immigration time restrictions is your Irish citizenship (evidenced by your Irish passport), see page 20 of the guidance: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _final.pdf . You still need to provide all the other documentation required for naturalisation.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Elstepho33
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Elstepho33 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:13 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:08 pm
You don't need a BRP - not strictly necessary for naturalisation.
Your proof of freedom from UK immigration time restrictions is your Irish citizenship, see page 20 of the guidance: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _final.pdf . You still need to provide all the other documentation required for naturalisation.
Thanks for this. I'm just not sure how to progress with the on-line application, as this BRP is a required question to answer and there are no options for Irish passport holders... Any ideas how I can go forward with this?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:14 pm

We don't have sight of the various input screens. What is the actual question?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:32 pm

Is this the question:
46. Your biometric residence permit (BRP). ​Are you able to provide a biometric residence permit (BRP) card with this application?
It seems to allow a negative response ....