ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement or Spousal extension visa?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Micannie
Newly Registered
Vietnam

Settlement or Spousal extension visa?

Post by Micannie » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:41 pm

Hi,

In 2016 my husband was granted leave to remain based on exceptional private life. This was for 30months.

In 2019 he applied and was granted a spousal visa for the first 2.5 years.

Both visas were applied with me as the supporting British partner. We've been together since 2014. We have 3 children, all British born from birth.

So can he now apply for settlement as he has been here legally as a partner for 5years, or does he need to apply for a spousal visa extension for the last 2.5 years of the partner route?

Thanks.

Annie

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Settlement or Spousal extension visa?

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:52 pm

If he was granted 30 months leave to remain on the 10 year route,he has to wait 10 years, 4 X 2.5 year visa.

If he switched after 2.5 years to for m spouse visa, then he has another 2.5 years to go before he can apply for ILR
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Micannie
Newly Registered
Vietnam

Post by Micannie » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:34 pm

He has already done 2.5years on spousal visa. But before that he's done 2.5years on private life visa. So in total he's done 5 years both with me as the British partner... Can he not apply for settlement if he's already been in the UK legally for 5 years with the same partner?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:38 pm

no he cannot.

Private life has different rules to spouse visa.

He needs another 2.5 year FLR m extension before he can apply for ILR.

It is not about having the same partner, it is about the 2 different visa routes and rules.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.