ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First time passport application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

alex98uk
Chile

Re: First time passport application

Post by alex98uk » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:11 pm

Vorona wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:56 pm
Did not receive any email after the initial acknowledgement. Supporting document were put through the letterbox.
No, nothing since the original confirmation email in late May. I haven't had an email to confirm my documents were received, but the online tracker moved from "pending receipt of documentation" to "application processing".

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:19 pm

alex98uk wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:11 pm
but the online tracker moved from "pending receipt of documentation" to "application processing".
This means that your supporting document have been received. As per email receipt:
"We will only start to process your application when we receive the documents listed below at our Dublin office".

And the same notice at the bottom of the checklist:
"We will only start to process your application after we have received the documents listed above AND on your cover page".

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:29 pm

Chap1122 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:56 pm
I also second Summer 2021 and request other folks not to try to be policemen ,he / she is right as why Bar is worngly calibrated as it creates unnecessary chaos.Alot of us check it 12 times each day due to many reasons like they have all our necessary documents.

Naturalization is a privilege but passport is a right and we should take dfa to cleaners if they delay our passport unncessarily.
drfas wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:43 pm
I think I agree with Summer 2021, I know citizenship is not entitlement but you are entitled to a passport as an Irish citizen. They have already confirmed our identity during the NATURALIZATION phase.
I think there is a famous solicitor firm who is taking DFA to High Court on unnecessary waits for first time passport
It is not discriminating you because you are a naturalised citizen. They simply don't have enough staff to deal with the backlog. Once someone opens your application and scans your documents, it takes just a week or so to get your passport.

My point earlier is that you should stop worrying about the application, as the online system has never worked properly since its introduction. I know it's difficult and people love to check these statuses, but they just don't work. If you are really interested in knowing your status, have a web chat with them on a daily basis. They will tell you which date they are processing now.

There wasn't a proper algorithm written behind the estimated date, so there's no point for anyone to keep checking that date. It will bring you nothing but distress. I don't think you can bring a legal action just based on an imperfect algorithm.

At least you guys have an online application. 2 years ago first time applicants have to send in postal applications and wait endlessly without any tracker until it eventually appears online.

drfas
Pakistan

Post by drfas » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:06 pm

Article 4(3) of European Council Directive 2004/38/EC places a duty on the Irish State, as a matter of EU law, to issue, and renew, Irish passports to Irish citizens. This duty is subject to the right to good administration arising as a general principle of EU law. An unreasonable delay in issuing or renewing an Irish passport can be a breach of that general principle and contrary to Article 4(3) of Directive 2004/38/EC taken together with that general principle.
This is from their website

drfas
Pakistan

Post by drfas » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:12 pm

If they say there is a backlog then they should work extra hours to clear it or deploy more staff, I think the civil service needs to cop on and starts processing it within due time

polarcub
Mood:
Ireland

Post by polarcub » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:19 pm

My partner who is Irish - by ethnicity - applied for a passport using the same online system, and received it in the mail in less than a week. This is possible.

I understand that processing a new application takes time, but this is egregious and should not be tolerated. We are put in a different line. There is literally two classes of citizens - and this is institutionalized discrimination. One class of citizens who are "ethnic Irish" and do not wait and are trusted. The other class who are "naturalized" and have to wait for a basic right, as a passport (this is literally one of the basic duties a nation state has - to administer passport to its citizens - and remember we pay A LOT of taxes for this administration too, excluding the fees that are paid). They have deprioritised naturalised citizens. There are also two sets of rules for two different classes of citizens - if you are naturlaised for example you have to declare yourself at an Irish embassy if you choose to live outside the state. This is institutional Ray say ism (it will not allow me to type out the r-word this is so strange - if I do, it changes the word to "beloved" on the post).

drfas
Pakistan

Post by drfas » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:55 pm

I just don't understand that how can scanning and an entitlement officer looking at it and saying it's OK can take 2 months.
On the matter of checking our identity and documents we have been getting our work permits and stamps from them every year, I believe they have few copies of my birth passport and IRP card on record.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:00 pm

Polarcub, your frustration is understandable, but your allegations of rac-ism aren't just exaggeration, it's absurd. People who are Irish be descent (it's called Irish by descent, not "ethnic Irish") have always been subjected to a different criteria, that's why we have FBR which that allows to claim Irish citizenship without even the need of residing in the State. Rac-ism has nothing to do with it.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:16 pm

If you believe that you've been discriminated against because of your ethnicity, you're entitled and encouraged to report it to the guards. It's a crime under the Irish law. If you feel strong about it to make such allegations against the passport office, then you should not be afraid to speak up openly about it.

As for passports, it is a standard process for everyone regardless of their origin - Pakistani, German or Chinese, all provide the same supporting documents when applying for a first passport.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:17 pm

If I apply for a *renewal* now, I will receive it in less than a week or two at most. That has nothing to do with 'deprioritising' naturalised citizens. That's just not how an automated system works. A person simply scans your documents into the system. A second person carries out checks to verify your certificates. Then they are sent to the printing office. That's it.

All first-time applications are put into the same queue. They won't even know whether your application is based on FBR, naturalisation or naturally born Irish until they scan your application into the system, which in the current timeframe, is going to take 2 months unfortunately. Once they are scanned, all they do is to confirm whether your certificate is genuine and a quick check against the Garda system. If anything, having a naturalisation or FBR certificate may be faster than a naturally born Irish citizen, as it can sometimes be trickier to verify whether a birth certificate is genuine.

Chap1122
Zimbabwe

Post by Chap1122 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:20 pm

Verona-actually it is not same for everyone unfortunately.

For Pakistan origin they ask for extra documents once they scan documents and expect to restart the process once they have received documents.

It has been cases with majority to wait months before getting passport.

Certainly system is not transparent as it seems- and unfortunately once you are on the receiving end-its when you feel the pain.
Cheers

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:24 pm

drfas wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:55 pm
I just don't understand that how can scanning and an entitlement officer looking at it and saying it's OK can take 2 months.
On the matter of checking our identity and documents we have been getting our work permits and stamps from them every year, I believe they have few copies of my birth passport and IRP card on record.
The scanning takes a few minutes. An entitlement check takes a few minutes. They are not even going to check your work permit or IRP cards or stamps. That's not part of the passport office's responsibility.

I actually had the opportunity to speak to the entitlement officer when I applied for my first passport. The guy literally verified my naturalisation certificate and everything else on the phone, and told me that I could come to the office to collect it the second day. That's not where the delay is.

It's the backlog that is causing the delay. And if you are asking why it takes 2 months for someone to open your application, it is because they are understaffed and most of the staff were transferred to other civil roles when the passport office was ordered to close for most time of the year.

Yes it is a pain, and to be honest I don't think anyone would understand why the government classified the passport office as non-essential until a couple of months ago. You can say they are incompetent. Just vote them off in the next general election if you believe that's the cause.

drfas
Pakistan

Post by drfas » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:46 pm

Well I can't vote on civil service incompetency,can I?
I am just raising an issue on how this whole process is being conducted, I am not a lawyer but I think if a government department gives us a date then they are legally responsible for delivering on that day.
I also have come to a conclusion that alot of people are using COVID as an excuse now and it's actually alot of the people in civil service going away on summer holidays and I think it's the reason of the delay

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:37 pm

Chap1122 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:20 pm

For Pakistan origin they ask for extra documents once they scan documents and expect to restart the process once they have received documents.
I have read a few complaints from people from Pakistan. It appears that the issue is caused by the quality of genuine documents issued in Pakistan. Birth certificates were common problem. It's a technical issue that passport office doesn't have control over.

Summer2021
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Summer2021 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:31 pm

Are we not part of the backlog that needs urgent action to be cleared ASAP? If not make us part of it because I need the passport at this difficult time more than ever.

I already did wait 2 years for a backlog to be cleared which never did, during the naturalisation process, is that not enough?

And if you need help clearing them I am a data analyst I can send you my cv and if accepted I can voluntarily help to get them done fast.

If the bar is misleading, why are you simply not removing it? Instead of pushing it back to half way!

A passport at this stage for every individual in this group means a lot, that’s way they are here impatiently checking new updates of others to get hope.

What you see in this group take it as feedback and rebuild/redesign systems/support and processes that works equally for everyone.

What you are doing is simply not working just creating frustration.

Chap1122
Zimbabwe

Post by Chap1122 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:56 am

Vorona wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:37 pm
Chap1122 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:20 pm

I have read a few complaints from people from Pakistan. It appears that the issue is caused by the quality of genuine documents issued in Pakistan. Birth certificates were common problem. It's a technical issue that passport office doesn't have control over.
Pakistan birth and other ID document are state of the art-barcoaded and can be verified on-line
Unfortunately they verify them each in person .They send a specific agent to where you are born and crooss verify it .Alot of time they won't know local language etc , sometimes GPS takes them to wrong place etc

alex98uk
Chile

Post by alex98uk » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:07 pm

GIGPH wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:20 pm
My estimation says that your passport should be printed in next 4 days. Let us see :)
Afraid to say no change as of yet!

Fingers crossed soon

GIGPH
Ireland

Post by GIGPH » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:59 pm

alex98uk wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:07 pm
GIGPH wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:20 pm
My estimation says that your passport should be printed in next 4 days. Let us see :)
Afraid to say no change as of yet!

Fingers crossed soon
A little bit surprised looking at your timelines... let us wait for another 1-2 days .... i think your status should change to printing.

kaffyk
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by kaffyk » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:02 am

My documents were scanned on the 3rd of June with an estimated date of the 5th of July. Nothing since ...tired of checking everyday with no changes 😅

Chap1122
Zimbabwe

Post by Chap1122 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:12 am

kaffyk wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:02 am
My documents were scanned on the 3rd of June with an estimated date of the 5th of July. Nothing since ...tired of checking everyday with no changes 😅

How did you find out that dox were scanned.

alex98uk
Chile

Post by alex98uk » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:39 am

GIGPH wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:59 pm
A little bit surprised looking at your timelines... let us wait for another 1-2 days .... i think your status should change to printing.
Spoke to chat today and they said documents haven't been scanned yet. It's in the queue, that's all they could say.

damo8604
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by damo8604 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:05 am

Hi All

Finally got round to applying for an Irish passport, I guess it took for my father to pass away before I finally did something about it (he was fiercely proud of his Irish heritage).

So I applied on the basis of my mother being born in NI, three grandparents born in Ireland (one in NI and two in the republic). I was born in England so this is a simple UK/Eire dual citizenship.

My timeline is as follows:

Online application: 5th July 2021
Supporting docs received: 15th July 2021
Status changed to processing: 20th July 2021
Estimated Issue date: 20th September 2021

Will update when received.

Kind regards
Damian

seancool

Post by seancool » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:29 am

waiting since mid June......

alex98uk
Chile

Post by alex98uk » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:53 am

seancool wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:29 am
waiting since mid June......
I'm waiting still since early June. Applied late May and docs received early June.

No confirmation the docs are scanned yet.

I'm in no rush, but I do think that more realistic estimate dates would probably put peoples' minds at rest and cause less questions!

luckyfish1985
India

Post by luckyfish1985 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:06 pm

Hi Friends
I have a query regarding the documents for proof of name/address to be submitted for Passport applicaction. Would the utility bills downloaded and printed from the online account or email and 4-5 year old dated original bank statement be considered as original documents?