ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling whilst waiting for my BRP replacement

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MoeAbbas
Newly Registered
Lebanon

Documents need to apply for a ILR BRP replacement

Post by MoeAbbas » Sun May 23, 2021 5:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask about the documents needed for a BRP replacement (i hold an ILR). Due to a mistake from HM passport office my BRP got lost and I am applying for a replacement.

The documents I need to provide are a proof of address, my current passport and Original document showing grant of settlement, such as a vignette, passport, or RON 60 letter

I have a question concerning the last part. I obviously don't have a physical paper that show i was granted settlement, only and email from Home office stating that my application for ILR was successful. Would that be enough to send again to home office? or do i need to do anything else?

Help anyone?

Cheers

MoeAbbas
Newly Registered
Lebanon

Travelling whilst waiting for my BRP replacement

Post by MoeAbbas » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:27 pm

Hello everyone,

I am really in need for some advice here. I have an ILR, In april i sent my BRP to HM passport office to get my son his first passport and they ended up losing my card. So i submitted an application to replace my BRP (20th of May, Biometrics 27th of May). So far no news but we need to travel urgently mid august. So i wanted to know few things:

1- If we travel can i apply for a BRP replacement visa outside the UK although they lost my card in the UK??
2- Can i even apply for a BRP replacement visa whilst having an application for a BRP replacement with home office? will it cancel it and would i need to reapply for the BRP replacement once I am back in the UK?

any help is really appreciated here

Best

zimba
Mood:

Re: Travelling whilst waiting for my BRP replacement

Post by zimba » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:32 pm

BRP replacement takes 6 months. You cannot come back unless you have a valid BRP or valid visa sticker. However, BRPs can only be issued in the UK.

If you need to return without a BRP apply for a replacement BRP visa. Your BRP application will be unaffected.
You cannot apply for a replacement BRP outside the UK. Instead, you’ll need to apply for a ‘replacement BRP visa’, which lets you re-enter the UK once only. It costs £154.
https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... en-damaged
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

MoeAbbas
Newly Registered
Lebanon

Post by MoeAbbas » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:39 pm

Just so that I can understand fully, It is okay for me to leave while the application is still with home office, apply for a BRP replacement visa and come back with no trouble? Because I've been reading around and a lot of people keep using the word "risk" . I also read somewhere that i will need to inform home office that i am travelling so that they can cancel my current application.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:41 pm

MoeAbbas wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:39 pm
Just so that I can understand fully, It is okay for me to leave while the application is still with home office, apply for a BRP replacement visa and come back with no trouble? Because I've been reading around and a lot of people keep using the word "risk" . I also read somewhere that i will need to inform home office that i am travelling so that they can cancel my current application.
There is no risk. BRP application is NOT an immigration application. You can leave and return with a replacement visa as I explained to you.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

uk_yaa
Newly Registered
Ghana

Post by uk_yaa » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:54 pm

Honestly, I'll say to check with an immigration lawyer first to ensure you'll be able to meet the requirements for a BRP replacement visa. I saw a thread on here of a lady with ILR who got stranded in her home country because she knowingly traveled without her BRP to visit her critically ill dad. Her BRP replacement visa application got flagged as complex by the Home Office and she's yet to hear back after over 5 months now, I believe. Apparently the BRP replacement visa is designed for lost/stolen BRPs in the country where you're applying from and you'll need to provide a valid police report from that country(they say it's an optional document but it's really required). For this visa route, the Home Office assumes that you left the UK with a valid BRP. It's not as straightforward as it seems. Here is the thread link - eea-route-applications/euss-replacement ... 17069.html

I'll advise you to thread cautiously. The Home Office can make a simple issue seem unnecessarily complex. My husband travelled while we were still waiting for his BRP. The lawyers advised to just wait for the BRP because he knowingly left the country without it, which you're advised in all home office emails not to do. My mum was really unwell and so this was urgent and they explained that the home office would not categorize it as urgent need for travel because it's not his direct family. Absurd, right?! It arrived after 50 days of countless emails and escalating to our MP... And I had it couriered to him so he could return.

Once you are out of the UK, there's not much you can do, should things go south.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:19 pm

uk_yaa wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:54 pm
Honestly, I'll say to check with an immigration lawyer first to ensure you'll be able to meet the requirements for a BRP replacement visa. I saw a thread on here of a lady with ILR who got stranded in her home country because she knowingly traveled without her BRP to visit her critically ill dad. Her BRP replacement visa application got flagged as complex by the Home Office and she's yet to hear back after over 5 months now, I believe. Apparently the BRP replacement visa is designed for lost/stolen BRPs in the country where you're applying from and you'll need to provide a valid police report from that country(they say it's an optional document but it's really required). For this visa route, the Home Office assumes that you left the UK with a valid BRP. It's not as straightforward as it seems. Here is the thread link - eea-route-applications/euss-replacement ... 17069.html

I'll advise you to thread cautiously. The Home Office can make a simple issue seem unnecessarily complex. My husband travelled while we were still waiting for his BRP. The lawyers advised to just wait for the BRP because he knowingly left the country without it, which you're advised in all home office emails not to do. My mum was really unwell and so this was urgent and they explained that the home office would not categorize it as urgent need for travel because it's not his direct family. Absurd, right?! It arrived after 50 days of countless emails and escalating to our MP... And I had it couriered to him so he could return.

Once you are out of the UK, there's not much you can do, should things go south.
The circumstances in the link you posted is totally different case. That person is applying for EUSS travel permit. The story in that link shows a mishandling by the UKVI. The person in that post was also never reported a lost BRP unlike the OP in this post :!:

uk_yaa
Newly Registered
Ghana

Post by uk_yaa » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:16 pm

I agree with you that getting a replacement BRP visa should be the way forward. However, I'm also very cognisant of the fact that the UKVI/Home Office do not always take responsibility for mishandling cases. And as such you need to thread cautiously.

The thread I referenced had a similar issue of traveling without a BRP which wasn't necessarily her fault but a delay from the Home Office. This lady did have an ILR and a replacement BRP visa should have been the easiest route. A card that hasn't been issued can't be flagged as missing. And immigration can be silly to say you were warned not to travel without one.

The UK has opened up but the Home Office is still working with a ridiculous backlog with a current response time of 40 working days, should you need raise a complaint while abroad. You may end up stranded. I've personally been through this with my husband and simply shared the route we took and what our lawyers advised us to do- wait for the card to arrive.

MoeAbbas
Newly Registered
Lebanon

Post by MoeAbbas » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:57 pm

Hello everyone,

just an update,

So my lawyer advised me against traveling without my BRP simply because there is no guarantee that applying for a replacement BRP visa would be ready in time for me to fly back. and So i didn't fly and I waited another week and I got my BRP back.

dr_crow
Newly Registered
Argentina

Re: Documents need to apply for a ILR BRP replacement

Post by dr_crow » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:52 am

MoeAbbas wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 5:43 pm
Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask about the documents needed for a BRP replacement (i hold an ILR). Due to a mistake from HM passport office my BRP got lost and I am applying for a replacement.

The documents I need to provide are a proof of address, my current passport and Original document showing grant of settlement, such as a vignette, passport, or RON 60 letter

I have a question concerning the last part. I obviously don't have a physical paper that show i was granted settlement, only and email from Home office stating that my application for ILR was successful. Would that be enough to send again to home office? or do i need to do anything else?

Help anyone?

Cheers
May I ask if they accepted that "application successful" email as proof of grant of settlement?