ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New born baby in India to British mother and Indian father

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

silk route

Re: New born baby in India to British mother and Indian father

Post by silk route » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:39 pm

Hi,

I think i can help you in this matter.
I have applied British passport for my twins in Dec-2020 from India as me & wife both are British passport holders.

You have to fill the form about parent's location (if different country) and contact details, in case, if HMPO wants to conduct the interview.

Take some sort of Indian address proof. They have asked me. I also provided copy of my UK driving lic.

The only disappointment is waiting period. In m case, 3 months are completed but the status is same as passport officer is looking at it...

Let me know, if more information required.

Mayamaddy
Newly Registered

Post by Mayamaddy » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:48 am

thanks. I have aadhar card as Indian proof of address. We have UK driving licence as well for UK address proof.

Currently my husband is also in Chennai but will travel back to UK after submitting the passport application. In this case do we need parent contact detail form to be submitted?.

Can u provide the list of documents you submitted please
Thanks @silk. route

silk route

Post by silk route » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:28 pm

Hi,

HMPO may want to conduct interview of either father or mother during the process, hence parents contact details form is required. Adhar card copy is acceptable for indian address proof as it is VFS global's requirement. I have submitted color copy of following docs,

- british passport (me+wife)
- kids photo (two, one signed-off by counter signatory with date on back as per guidelines)
- family photo including me, wife & kids
- wife's medical record copy during pregnancy test (take entire file but few important records only required)
- marriage certificate (although not required but submitted)
- UK driving lic (although not required but submitted)
- naturalization certi
- passport copy of counter signatory
- payment form
- cover letter to explain your situation if you cannot provide any documents from above list.

silk route

Post by silk route » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:31 pm

Forgot to tell you that please utilize UK credit card for payment form instead of India. My indian card did not work so they dropped me an email and I have provided them UK credit card details via phone call.

Mayamaddy
Newly Registered

Post by Mayamaddy » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:16 am

Hi have attended the appointment and submitted the docs at Chennai today.

We were.asked to provide all pages of both parents passport copy not just last page.

They also asked for.photos with the baby bump of the mother with husband or family members, photos from baby baby shower, photos of the child with other family member such as grand parents not just parents. We provided 13 photos in total from seventh month pregnancy till date each dated and age of baby specified at the back of the photo.

We have been told processing takes six to eight months, so i can expect my child passport in Oct/Nov only.

We were informed Hmpo may ask more documents in India related to child birth if required

Paid 88.51.gbp and submitted parents contact details form as well.

Thanks for the responses posted by the members in this forum for my query.

Thank you
Maya

Chanti1211

Post by Chanti1211 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:31 am

Hi Mayamaddy,

Hope you can help me with the following questions.

1) Did you take the baby with you to the VFS office on the appointment day?
2) Do they need photo copies of all the docs in colour?
3) Will they hold any original documents?
4) Do we still need to submit the Payment instruction form? in your case, as you have already paid £88.51 at the time of appointment. If yes what amount should be written in the box?

Mayamaddy wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:16 am
Hi have attended the appointment and submitted the docs at Chennai today.

We were.asked to provide all pages of both parents passport copy not just last page.

They also asked for.photos with the baby bump of the mother with husband or family members, photos from baby baby shower, photos of the child with other family member such as grand parents not just parents. We provided 13 photos in total from seventh month pregnancy till date each dated and age of baby specified at the back of the photo.

We have been told processing takes six to eight months, so i can expect my child passport in Oct/Nov only.

We were informed Hmpo may ask more documents in India related to child birth if required

Paid 88.51.gbp and submitted parents contact details form as well.

Thanks for the responses posted by the members in this forum for my query.

Thank you
Maya

Mayamaddy
Newly Registered

Post by Mayamaddy » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:55 pm

Hi All

I have received an email from HMPO asking to submit below documents:
1. Aadhar card for the child, and both parents
2 birth certificate of father
3.additional address proof for Indian residence
4. Birth certificates( as UKVAC Chennai did not stamp the previously submitted document)

What is not clear is as mother is British citizen, there is no requirement to provide father's birth certificate as per the guideline. Not clear why they have asked for that and also.child's aadhar.. We don't have aadhar for the child yet.

They haven't stated timeline by when documents need to be submitted

Any thougths pls

Thanks
Maya

silk route

Post by silk route » Tue May 11, 2021 7:51 pm

Not sure why they are asking Adhar card for child. Child is not eligible for adhar card as they are not an Indian citizen. Just provide whatever they have asked for....and give them clarification on letter what you can't.

Meanwhile, I have faced skype interview last week for half an hour. Don't know how long it will take, already 5 months gone.

Chanti1211

Post by Chanti1211 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:00 pm

Hi All,

I have received an email from HMPO asking to post for Aadhaar card and additional photos of the child.

As both the parents are currently in India will they accept the documents over email? If yes, what email address to use?

Thanks, Chanti

silk route

Post by silk route » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:29 am

In their email, they must have provided mode of communication in the attachment, either email or postal address. Please follow the instruction.

In my case they asked to provide photo through courier, whilst few additional documents through email. How can you send latest photo through email? You should use courier.

silk route

Post by silk route » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:33 am

Finally, kid's passport received last week after 6 month of lengthy process.

naynas86
Newly Registered
India

Post by naynas86 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:34 am

This post is useful.
I would like to know what address proof you sent @silk route

Shivagup
Newly Registered
India

Post by Shivagup » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:46 pm

This information has indeed been very helpful.
@ silk route
could you please provide few details of your waiting time for 6 months. Were you asked to share more documents in between? Did 6 months period start from date of your first appointment? Did HMPO get in touch during these 6 months to provide an update on application status? This would help us a lot to evaluate if UK passport application is indeed a better option for us. Many thanks in advance

Chanti1211

Post by Chanti1211 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:50 am

Mayamaddy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:55 pm
Hi All

I have received an email from HMPO asking to submit below documents:
1. Aadhar card for the child, and both parents
2 birth certificate of father
3.additional address proof for Indian residence
4. Birth certificates( as UKVAC Chennai did not stamp the previously submitted document)

What is not clear is as mother is British citizen, there is no requirement to provide father's birth certificate as per the guideline. Not clear why they have asked for that and also.child's aadhar.. We don't have aadhar for the child yet.

They haven't stated timeline by when documents need to be submitted

Any thougths pls

Thanks
Maya
@Mayamaddy
Did you receive any acknowledgement from HMPO after you have submitted/responded to their additional documents request?
HMPO requested additional photos of the child regarding my application, which I have submitted at the local VFS. I have replied to their email saying the submission but I haven’t received any response.

If you have received any communication from HMPO after the additional documents requested. please do comment on this thread.

Chanti1211

Post by Chanti1211 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:55 pm

@Mayamaddy

Have you heard anything from HMPO?

ranjithsangineni
Newly Registered

Post by ranjithsangineni » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:01 am

Hello Mayamaddy and @chanti1211,

My name is Ranjith and my child is due to be born in India in Oct 2021. The father of the child is a British citizen by naturalization and Overseas citizen of India and the mother holds Indian citizenship. I am planning to apply for British citizenship for my newborn child. Please can you share your contact details to my email address: email address removed by moderator

What is the status of your application?
Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:07 am

ranjithsangineni wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:01 am
Hello Mayamaddy and @chanti1211,

My name is Ranjith and my child is due to be born in India in Oct 2021. The father of the child is a British citizen by naturalization and Overseas citizen of India and the mother holds Indian citizenship. I am planning to apply for British citizenship for my newborn child. Please can you share your contact details to my email address: email address removed by moderator

What is the status of your application?
Thanks
1. Do NOT post personal contact details on the forum. This is strictly not allowed
2. Do NOT ask members for their personal contact details. Everyone here is a complete stranger and we have many scammers and spammers on the forum daily.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ranjithsangineni
Newly Registered

Post by ranjithsangineni » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:23 am

Thank you for the info CR001. I am new to this forum and I will not post or request any personal information.

ranjithsangineni
Newly Registered

Post by ranjithsangineni » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:48 am

Hello Silk Route,

My name is Ranjith and my child is due to be born in India in Oct 2021. The father of the child is a British citizen by naturalization, an Overseas Citizen of India, and the mother holds Indian citizenship. I am planning to apply for British citizenship for my newborn child. I am currently residing in Hyderabad and want process from here.

Can you please help me complete the details of the forms to be filled and the documents submitted?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:23 am

ranjithsangineni wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:48 am
Hello Silk Route,

My name is Ranjith and my child is due to be born in India in Oct 2021. The father of the child is a British citizen by naturalization, an Overseas Citizen of India, and the mother holds Indian citizenship. I am planning to apply for British citizenship for my newborn child. I am currently residing in Hyderabad and want process from here.

Can you please help me complete the details of the forms to be filled and the documents submitted?

Thanks
The child is automatically British. You don't have to apply for citizenship for the child. Apply directly for a passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ranjithsangineni
Newly Registered

Post by ranjithsangineni » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:48 am

Thanks, CR001 for the reply. I want to know the process for applying for passport directly, as the child is Citizen by descent.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:05 am

ranjithsangineni wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:48 am
Thanks, CR001 for the reply. I want to know the process for applying for passport directly, as the child is Citizen by descent.
Apply online, with proof of the father's citizenship otherwise than by descent (naturalisation certificate) and the child's birth certificate.

Be aware that first British passports for children from abroad can take six months to a year.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

kartiksatya
Newly Registered

Post by kartiksatya » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:11 pm

Hi Simon,

I have been following this thread intently and see a similarity to my confusion which you may be able to help alleviate
I will in a month have a child born in the UK to a settled mother (on Indian passport) and British father (settled status to British citizenship). We are planning to have Indian passport for our baby considering our future plans to relocate from the UK, in this regard would we have to apply for:
1) Indian passport + ILR +CoE
or
2) Indian passport + CoE (and this would be sufficient to live and remain in the UK for the baby)

Your guidance is much appreciated, as there is not much info elsewhere considering very few to a handful in similar scenario.

thank you,
Kartik

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:11 pm

Provided one of the parents is a British citizen otherwise than by descent (such as by naturalisation) on the date of birth of the child, their child born outside the UK will be born a British citizen by descent. You will need your naturalisation certificate and the child's birth certificate to apply for either a British passport or a CoE-RoA.

The child can apply for either a British passport (cheaper, but can take six months to a year to process) or a non-British (such as Indian) passport with CoE-RoA (which is supposed to be processed faster, but costs more than seven times - £372 - as much as a child British passport - £49 - and needs to be renewed every time the non-British passport is renewed).

Keep in mind that the CoE-RoA will only be recognised within the UK itself and outside the UK, the child will be treated as a solely Indian citizen (as that is the passport that the child is carrying).
kartiksatya wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:11 pm
2) Indian passport + CoE (and this would be sufficient to live and remain in the UK for the baby)
The child not only does not need ILR, but as a British citizen by descent., they can't be granted ILR. British citizen cannot be granted any form of leave, including ILR.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

kartiksatya
Newly Registered

Post by kartiksatya » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:55 am

Thank you secret.Simon, this helps.
The form to use roa is this - https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... e-form-roa

I presume the onus is on the parent and the child upon reaching 18 years to choose one or the other citizenship, and Roa wouldn’t cease automatically after expiry unless denounced, is this correct please?