ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendring Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

SinghSam
Newly Registered
India

Re: Surrendring Indian passport

Post by SinghSam » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:34 pm

abeer1987 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:08 pm
Thanks for the reply.
Just checked. It says the surrender certificate is printed. That was fast.
They will courier it soon hopefully. Next is OCI!.

Thanks
That was super quick by Birmingham office 👍
Mine Took 2 days to receive it after it’s says printed online.
U will get text a day before delivery by DX

Rambo_ILR
India

Post by Rambo_ILR » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:54 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know if child 5Y needs to attend in-person for surrendring passport?

Or can parnets sumbit along with thiers?

Thanks

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:50 am

Rambo_ILR wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:54 pm
Hello,

Does anyone know if child 5Y needs to attend in-person for surrendring passport?

Or can parnets sumbit along with thiers?

Thanks
Hi

At VFS office in Smethwick (Birmingham) either of the parents can submit the application. Children don't have to attend. They in fact allow only one person inside.

sachinb
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by sachinb » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:22 pm

Just an update.

Its been over a month since i submitted my application for my surrender certificate.

The HCI have not been picking the telephone and responses from repeated emails are "wait","clearance awaited","priority to passports expiring in June".

Now it is July,so wonder if they would say priority is being given to passports which expire in July,so on and so forth.
So anyone applying for this document, don't have your hopes high of receiving it within a week to 10 days and do not expect any sort of service and clear explanation from them as to what is going on once you have submitted it.

Some emails on their website bounce back stating it does not exist, and there is no response to telephone calls .

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:43 pm

sachinb wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:22 pm
Just an update.

Its been over a month since i submitted my application for my surrender certificate.

The HCI have not been picking the telephone and responses from repeated emails are "wait","clearance awaited","priority to passports expiring in June".

Now it is July,so wonder if they would say priority is being given to passports which expire in July,so on and so forth.
So anyone applying for this document, don't have your hopes high of receiving it within a week to 10 days and do not expect any sort of service and clear explanation from them as to what is going on once you have submitted it.

Some emails on their website bounce back stating it does not exist, and there is no response to telephone calls .
Post your concern on HCI London twitter handle. You will see how quick it will get resolved.

sachinb
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by sachinb » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:48 am

rainbowbutterfly wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:43 pm
sachinb wrote:
Just an update.

Post your concern on HCI London twitter handle. You will see how quick it will get resolved.
Thank you for that suggestion.I have looked at their Twitter handle and they do not have the option of sending a direct message to them.But ,will give it a try next time.
Finally after repeated emails ,phone calls ,it has been sent to VFS.
Hope my experience with the OCI is better than this.

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:45 am

sachinb wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:48 am
rainbowbutterfly wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:43 pm
sachinb wrote:
Just an update.

Thank you for that suggestion.I have looked at their Twitter handle and they do not have the option of sending a direct message to them.But ,will give it a try next time.
Finally after repeated emails ,phone calls ,it has been sent to VFS.
Hope my experience with the OCI is better than this.
That's very good news! Hope your OCI process goes much smoother. Good Luck!

mbujjibabu
Newly Registered

Post by mbujjibabu » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:28 am

Surrender cert timeline
VFS-Goswell, London
appointment slot booked on: 25/05/2021
appointment slot: 05/07/2021 11:15 am
application submission date: 22/06/2021
surrender cert issued and printed: 06/07/2021
next day post delivered on: 08/07/2021

mental4vray
Mood:
India

Post by mental4vray » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:25 pm

Surrender Certificate Timeline:

Appointment slot booked on: 17/05/2021
Appointment slot: 02/07/2021 @ 12:00 at VFS-Hounslow
Application submission date: 02/07/2021
Surrender certificate issued and printed: 06/07/2021
Documents Delivered: 08/07/2021 by DX

Paid a total of £143.44 at the counter.
Surrender Passport Fees: £117
Consular Surcharge: £2
Service Charge: £6.20
SMS Charge: £1.67
DX Courier Charge: £12.50
Admin Charge: £4.07

Jojo0316
Newly Registered
India

Post by Jojo0316 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:38 pm

Guys did anyone get a confirmation email after booking VFS appt. I didn’t get a confirmation email only a print out page.

Also guys loads of spots available in Edinburgh. I just checked.

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:22 am

Jojo0316 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:38 pm
Guys did anyone get a confirmation email after booking VFS appt. I didn’t get a confirmation email only a print out page.

Hi

I received email from admin@hcilondon.gov.in every time I booked an appointment through the HCI London website. If you have not received email, you can as well print the appointment from their website.

Thanks

Jojo0316
Newly Registered
India

Post by Jojo0316 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:11 pm

rainbowbutterfly wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:22 am
Jojo0316 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:38 pm

Hi

I received email from admin@hcilondon.gov.in every time I booked an appointment through the HCI London website. If you have not received email, you can as well print the appointment from their website.

Thanks
Thank you so much for replying. Did not get any email but printed out the confirmation page. Hopefully that will be enough and they don’t turn me away.

juhi

Post by juhi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:06 pm

Hi,

Is anyone successful in booking online appointments for London jurisdiction? I have been struggling to make one. Are they even releasing any dates for appointments. After readng some comments here, thought of going through Birmingham or Edinburgh but they are now redirecting everyone to High commission of London website.

OR
can we apply for Indian visa and travel on our British passports instead of surrendering Indian passports?

I would appreciate any response or advice on when to look out for appointments.
Thanks

crl234

Post by crl234 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:26 am

Is there any way to track the status? Its been more than 10 days, haven't received surrender certificate yet.

juhi

Post by juhi » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:44 pm

crl234 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:26 am
Is there any way to track the status? Its been more than 10 days, haven't received surrender certificate yet.
Have you received your certificate yet?

SinghSam
Newly Registered
India

Post by SinghSam » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:29 pm

crl234 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:26 am
https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/welcomeLink
And on the bottom of the page it will be ur application
Press on select dot on ur application on left
Then On the bottom it will say track ur application

SinghSam
Newly Registered
India

Post by SinghSam » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:35 pm

juhi wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:06 pm
Hi,

Is anyone successful in booking online appointments for London jurisdiction? I have been struggling to make one. Are they even releasing any dates for appointments. After readng some comments here, thought of going through Birmingham or Edinburgh but they are now redirecting everyone to High commission of London website.

OR
can we apply for Indian visa and travel on our British passports instead of surrendering Indian passports?

Thanks
Try to book an appointment between 7pm-8pm
U might able to find some slots available if u lucky .
U have to surrender Indian passport within 3 months of naturalization certificate issued I assumed ,
U can book appointment in other jurisdictions ( birmingham or Edinburgh)

Harveykhamb16

Post by Harveykhamb16 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:08 am

Hello Guys
Just trying to fill form for Surrender Certificate .Form take you to Indian MINISTRY OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS SITE.In which they ask you to fill Pincode and it does not accept UK Postcode ,State,District etc..I have filled out the form and left those above questions and took the print out.Is that acceptable at the time of Submission in the VFS ?...

juhi

Post by juhi » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:40 pm

SinghSam wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:35 pm
juhi wrote:
Hi,

OR

Thanks
Try to book an appointment between 7pm-8pm
U might able to find some slots available if u lucky .
U have to surrender Indian passport within 3 months of naturalization certificate issued I assumed ,
U can book appointment in other jurisdictions ( birmingham or Edinburgh)
Thanks! was able to book an appointment to surrender the passport finally.

Harveykhamb16

Post by Harveykhamb16 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:22 pm

Hello Guys i booked my appointment for surrender passport in Goswell but now i can find appointment near to my house in Hounslow but it does not allow me to book.Anybody can guide how to reschedule my appointment for different Vfs centre near to m y house.Btw i have sent an email to embssy to cancel my existing appointment.If anybody could just share their idea how to rescheduke ,Please?

alwaysintransit
Newly Registered
India

Post by alwaysintransit » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:31 pm

Try to apply at mid night india time, so at 7:30pm UK time (until we switch our clocks by an hour next month). They release a new date every day at midnight.

juhi wrote:
Hi,

OR

Thanks

alwaysintransit
Newly Registered
India

Post by alwaysintransit » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:35 pm

You would not be able to book a new appointment until your current appointment is cancelled. You need to email Indian embassy to cancel the current appointment and it takes 2 weeks for it to happen. You can only apply for a fresh appointment once your current appointment is cancelled. So if you do not want to delay your application, go to Goswell Road.
Harveykhamb16 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:22 pm
Hello Guys i booked my appointment for surrender passport in Goswell but now i can find appointment near to my house in Hounslow but it does not allow me to book.Anybody can guide how to reschedule my appointment for different Vfs centre near to m y house.Btw i have sent an email to embssy to cancel my existing appointment.If anybody could just share their idea how to rescheduke ,Please?

gag285
Member of Standing
India

Post by gag285 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:55 am

Does anyone know:
1. If expired Indian passports are ok to surrender. My application was done prior to the passport expiring but I never got appointments at the time and have only managed to find one for 22nd Oct, (passport expired in Aug) hope they don't make tantrums out of this.
2. Somebody mentioned surrender needs to be within 3 months of naturalization. I thought the rule was you can only travel on your Indian passport for 3 months from your naturalization and never after your British passport. Does this apply to surrender too? I have been trying to surrender my passport but there were no appointments.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:33 pm

gag285 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:55 am
Does anyone know:
1. If expired Indian passports are ok to surrender.Yes, I did Surrender after 14 months of expiry My application was done prior to the passport expiring but I never got appointments at the time and have only managed to find one for 22nd Oct, (passport expired in Aug) hope they don't make tantrums out of this.They won't
2. Somebody mentioned surrender needs to be within 3 months of naturalization.Earlier the better but not mandatory I thought the rule was you can only travel on your Indian passport for 3 months from your naturalization and never after your British passport. Does this apply to surrender too? You are absolutely correct, it does not apply to surrendering passport I have been trying to surrender my passport but there were no appointments. Don't worry your fine.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

as1501
Newly Registered

Post by as1501 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:24 pm

Hope it helps someone is same situation.

Surrender certificate timeline
VFS-Hounslow
Appointment slot: 30/09/2021
Surrender cert issued and printed: 05/10/2021
Next day post delivered on: 06/10/2021