ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Replacing Expired BRP of ILE Holder from Outside the UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ammaralvi

Replacing Expired BRP of ILE Holder from Outside the UK

Post by ammaralvi » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:52 am

My son was granted ILE on 15/07/2016 after his birth in Pakistan. The BRP card issued has expired on 15/07/2021. His last departure from the U.K. was 23/08/2020 and is currently in Pakistan. He couldn’t return to the U.K. to get the BRP replaced because of various COVID restrictions. I understand from https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... xpired-brp that a replacement BRP visa can be issued in this case, but as soon as I proceed to complete this form, it asks me to report the BRP as lost or stolen, whereas the BRP has just expired. What to do in these circumstances?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Replacing Expired BRP of ILE Holder from Outside the UK

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:02 am

You cannot apply for a BRP card from abroad.

You have to apply for a BRP replacement visa costing £154. Once granted and the child is back in the UK, you apply for a new BRP Card.

https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... xpired-brp
If you’re outside the UK
You cannot apply for a replacement BRP if it expires while you are outside the UK. Instead, you’ll need to apply for a ‘replacement BRP visa’, which lets you re-enter the UK once only. It costs £154.

You can apply for a replacement BRP when you return to the UK. You must do this within 3 months of its expiry unless you have a good reason, for example you were unable to return to the UK in that time.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ammaralvi

Post by ammaralvi » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:54 am

Thanks for your reply, however, I already know that BRP cannot be issued whilst outside the U.K. My question is that when I proceed to apply for “replacement BRP visa” (from the link within your excerpt), it asks to report the expired BRP as lost or stolen, which isn’t the case in this scenario. So, how to proceed even with applying for “replacement BRP visa”?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:37 pm

ammaralvi wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:54 am
Thanks for your reply, however, I already know that BRP cannot be issued whilst outside the U.K. My question is that when I proceed to apply for “replacement BRP visa” (from the link within your excerpt), it asks to report the expired BRP as lost or stolen, which isn’t the case in this scenario. So, how to proceed even with applying for “replacement BRP visa”?
There is no need to report it
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

ammaralvi

Post by ammaralvi » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:50 pm

Thanks Zimba, much appreciated.

So, I just explain the situation in the “Additional Information” section of the “replacement BRP visa” form that he couldn’t travel to the U.K. due to COVID restrictions, if I understand correctly?

Would really appreciate your help with this final point.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:34 pm

ammaralvi wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:50 pm

So, I just explain the situation in the “Additional Information” section of the “replacement BRP visa” form that he couldn’t travel to the U.K. due to COVID restrictions, if I understand correctly?

Yes.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

ammaralvi

Post by ammaralvi » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:31 pm

Zimba wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:34 pm
ammaralvi wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:50 pm

Yes.
One last question, if I may - do I need getting a TB certificate before applying for the “replacement BRP visa”? Please keep in mind that the child has ILE, has travelled to the U.K. multiple times on ILE, but will be applying the “replacement BRP visa” from Pakistan.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:16 pm

No. A BRP application is NOT an immigration application

ammaralvi

Post by ammaralvi » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:13 am

Zimba wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:16 pm
I was referring to the child being ILE holder at which point he had already provided the TB certificate as the "replacement BRP visa" application definitely asks to provide a TB certificate. The instructions as below whilst filling in the application (https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/visa-type):

To apply for a visa, you need to:
  • complete the application form and answer in English
  • pay for the visa fee online (in most cases)
  • provide your biometrics (fingerprints and facial photograph)
  • provide your tuberculosis test result (if you are resident in a country where you must take the test)
  • provide your passport and other supporting evidence

ammaralvi

Post by ammaralvi » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:28 am

ammaralvi wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:13 am
Zimba wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:16 pm
I was referring to the child being ILE holder at which point he had already provided the TB certificate as the "replacement BRP visa" application definitely asks to provide a TB certificate. The instructions as below whilst filling in the application (https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/visa-type):

To apply for a visa, you need to:
  • complete the application form and answer in English
  • pay for the visa fee online (in most cases)
  • provide your biometrics (fingerprints and facial photograph)
  • provide your tuberculosis test result (if you are resident in a country where you must take the test)
  • provide your passport and other supporting evidence
However, when I go to the TB tests for visa applicants page (https://www.gov.uk/tb-test-visa), it has an exemption list as below:

Who does not need to be tested
You will not need a TB test if any of the following apply:
  • you’re a diplomat accredited to the UK
  • you’re a returning UK resident and have not been away for more than 2 years
  • you lived for at least 6 months in a country where TB screening is not required by the UK, and you’ve been away from that country for no more than 6 months
I assume the highlighted point above makes my child exempt from having a TB certificate as is a UK resident (ILE) and hasn't been away for more than 2 years (last departure date 24-AUG-2020).

Please can you review and confirm my understanding is correct?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:00 am

Correct.