ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

is Solicitor/representative advisable?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

trevoronitselec

is Solicitor/representative advisable?

Post by trevoronitselec » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:04 pm

Hello all,
Me and my family (including 2 kids) now are eligible for naturalisation via ILR route + 12 months continuous residence. Looking at the fees it would cost us around £5K pounds. I do not know yet the difficulty of the application and haven't read enough to see the requirements needed and complexity considering our conditions. We are on a tight budget right now but would like to know if seeking solicitor/representative assistance is advisable for our application? I looked around and for the 4 of us the cheapest for a representative would be £2.1-2.5 pounds.

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: is Solicitor/representative advisable?

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:23 pm

A solicitor is not needed and adds no real value. For their fee, all the do is fill in an online form basically.

It is not a difficult application to make.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:56 am

trevoronitselec wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:04 pm
I do not know yet the difficulty of the application and haven't read enough to see the requirements needed and complexity considering our conditions.
Rather than spending money on solicitors (and on these forums, we have known applications made by solicitors go wrong), it would be better if you spend time researching the requirements, etc. Apart from the information on the Gov.UK website, which is free, you can ask questions (ideally specific questions tailored to your specific circumstances) on these (free) forums.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

magicsign
Italy

Post by magicsign » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:04 pm

Unless you or one of your family has a complex situation behind him (unusual visas situations, asylum seekers, possible previous breach of immigration laws) hiring an immigration lawyer will be just expensive and will not add real value because as the others mentioned the application is straightforward

trevoronitselec

Post by trevoronitselec » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:35 am

magicsign wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:04 pm
Unless you or one of your family has a complex situation behind him (unusual visas situations, asylum seekers, possible previous breach of immigration laws) hiring an immigration lawyer will be just expensive and will not add real value because as the others mentioned the application is straightforward
I don’t think we have a complex situation but i read one of the requirements is “they think fit to register them”.

My daughter who is 10 has special needs and her understanding is limited. Is this something to be considered in the application? Like additional documents to provide, etc that its for her benefits to be registered? Or this is not an issue and we can apply like any other normal child and only to assist when the time comes my child is now required to Oath and Pledge?

trevoronitselec

Post by trevoronitselec » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:42 am

In addition to my inquiry, after receiving ILR.. me and my family moved address. Do we need to inform Home office about the new address? Also in our application for naturalisation and to prove we stayed 1 year in the UK after ILR.. how to prove we have 2 addresses during the 1 year period? Is there some special letter needed to provide the date of the move?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:04 pm

I understand there is no requirement to advise changes of address - after all, ILR means you are free of immigration time restrictions. When you apply for for naturalisation and registration you just provide your address history for the last five years, no specific proof needed.

Regarding your daughter's situation I don't see any issues. You do not have to provide any evidence as to her special needs. She won't have to take the tests (English/LITUK) and there are no interviews involved.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:28 pm

trevoronitselec wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:35 am
magicsign wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:04 pm
I don’t think we have a complex situation but i read one of the requirements is “they think fit to register them”.

My daughter who is 10 has special needs and her understanding is limited. Is this something to be considered in the application? Like additional documents to provide, etc that its for her benefits to be registered? Or this is not an issue and we can apply like any other normal child and only to assist when the time comes my child is now required to Oath and Pledge?
Children under 18 also do not and are not required to attend a ceremony for the oath and pledge.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

trevoronitselec

Post by trevoronitselec » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:02 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:28 pm
[quote=trevoronitselec post_id=2024805 time=<a href="tel:1628163358">1628163358</a> user_id=136935]
[quote=magicsign post_id=2024439 time=<a href="tel:1627992280">1627992280</a> user_id=230950]

[/quote]
Children under 18 also do not and are not required to attend a ceremony for the oath and pledge.
[/quote]

Thank you all for you answers. Yes that’s what i have read.. and as far as i can understand they will be invited when they turned 18 to pledge? Just wondered if there will be special requirement if thr child can’t understand the situation during the application and when the time comes they need to make an oath/pledge.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:05 pm

Thank you all for you answers. Yes that’s what i have read.. and as far as i can understand they will be invited when they turned 18 to pledge?
No, they are not. Once they are registered as British as children, nothing else is required. Your understanding is not correct.
Just wondered if there will be special requirement if thr child can’t understand the situation during the application and when the time comes they need to make an oath/pledge.
This is not required for children when they turn 18 and never has been required.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

trevoronitselec

Post by trevoronitselec » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:44 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:05 pm
Thank you all for you answers. Yes that’s what i have read.. and as far as i can understand they will be invited when they turned 18 to pledge?
No, they are not. Once they are registered as British as children, nothing else is required. Your understanding is not correct.
Just wondered if there will be special requirement if thr child can’t understand the situation during the application and when the time comes they need to make an oath/pledge.
This is not required for children when they turn 18 and never has been required.
Thank you again for the clarification. I thought they would need to attend in the future when they turn 18 because i read “you must also pay £80 for your child’s citizenship ceremony if they turn 18 during the application process”. Now its clear turn 18 only during the application process.