ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish citizenship by ssociation

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Lachat
Newly Registered
Ireland

Irish citizenship by ssociation

Post by Lachat » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:22 am

This is an unusual one

I am an Irish citizen by fbr, my grandfather was from Ireland on my mum's side on my father's side his grandfather was also from Ireland. My family roots go back to Ireland for generations. Her mum is also an Irish desndent. Her younger brother will be applying via FBR, and my mum is applying for her Irish passport.

My daughter was born in Holland and gained British citizenship by desent but, future generations will not be entitled to British citizenship. We live in Spain but she will not be entitled to Spanish citizenship for 9 years. Any of my daughters children if she decides to have any could potentially be stateless or would only be entitled to citizenship though the farther.

My question is would her application for Irish citizenship by association be accepted ?

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: Irish citizenship by ssociation

Post by Vorona » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:38 am

Lachat wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:22 am
future generations will not be entitled to British citizenship
Where did you get that from? If you daughter is a British citizens, her children will also be a citizens of that country. If you are an Irish citizen, then your daughter can also become a citizen of Ireland if she's not already. What exactly is the issue? I don't see anything unusual about this.

Lachat
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Lachat » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:02 pm

From the British government as she was not born in the UK she can not pass her citizenship on to future generations.

" British citizenship is normally automatically passed down one generation to children born outside the UK."

I did not register on fbr before she was born so she can not go down that route. I was specifically asking if any one knows about irish citizenship by association. The issue is that any of my daughters offspring would be potentially stateless.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:12 pm

Vorona wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:38 am
Where did you get that from? If you daughter is a British citizens, her children will also be a citizens of that country.
That's wrong. Her children will not be a UK citizen unless her children go back to the UK to give birth.
Lachat wrote:
My daughter was born in Holland and gained British citizenship by desent but, future generations will not be entitled to British citizenship. We live in Spain but she will not be entitled to Spanish citizenship for 9 years. Any of my daughters children if she decides to have any could potentially be stateless or would only be entitled to citizenship though the farther.

My question is would her application for Irish citizenship by association be accepted ?
Citizenship applications on the basis of Irish associations will generally only be accepted after she has lived in Ireland for at least 3 years and will continue living in Ireland, unless there are exceptional compelling reasons (usually reserved for world renowned athletes, scientists etc, and hasn't been known to be used publicly forever).

You mentioned stateless but then you also mentioned they could be entitled to citizenship through the father. There's a huge difference. If there's any automatic rights to inherit citizenship through the father, that is not stateless and the citizenship through the father *must* be inherited, unless that country allows the child's citizenship to be denied and renounced prior to birth. Very few countries in the world allow this.

If the child is truly stateless, which rarely happens in EU countries, the child will have an automatic right to be born Spanish. This is called nationality by presumption.

Dub23
Ireland

Post by Dub23 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:17 pm

If you were an Irish citizen before your daughter was born then she is entitled to Irish citizenship as well. You will have to go through the FRB process for your daughter.
Lachat wrote:
This is an unusual one

I am an Irish citizen by fbr, my grandfather was from Ireland on my mum's side on my father's side his grandfather was also from Ireland. My family roots go back to Ireland for generations. Her mum is also an Irish desndent. Her younger brother will be applying via FBR, and my mum is applying for her Irish passport.

Dub23
Ireland

Post by Dub23 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:23 pm

Only read now that you became an Irish citizen after your daughter was born. In this case she will not be eligible for Irish citizenship. For association you have to live in Ireland for at least 3 years.

How old is your daughter? If she is still young then I doubt that she will have kids before she has her Spanish citizenship.

Also you are right, if she has children before she get any other citizenship i.e. she only has British citizenship then the children will get their citizenship from their father.
Dub23 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:17 pm
If you were an Irish citizen before your daughter was born then she is entitled to Irish citizenship as well. You will have to go through the FRB process for your daughter.
Lachat wrote:
This is an unusual one

Lachat
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Lachat » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:43 pm

She is 15 at the moment so may or may not have a child before she becomes a Spanish citizen.

I also found out that she will have to pay to renounce her British citizenship. Such money grabbers

Dub23
Ireland

Post by Dub23 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:46 pm

How long were you living in the Netherlands? Would she not be entitled to Dutch citizenship via naturalisation?
Lachat wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:43 pm
She is 15 at the moment so may or may not have a child before she becomes a Spanish citizen.

I also found out that she will have to pay to renounce her British citizenship. Such money grabbers

Lachat
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Lachat » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:53 pm

Unfortunately only 4 years. We are also looking into Dutch citizenship but, it is a bit if a minefield.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:43 pm

I don't know how UK citizenship law works, but if it is a valid route, the renouncement fee (google says 372 GBP) is much cheaper than applying for Irish citizenship, which is 175 Euro when applying and another 950 Euro when approved.

Lachat
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Lachat » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:05 pm

Renounce means to give up ones citizenship and she will need to do that when she gains Spanish citizenship. I would sooner pay the higher sum to get her Irish citizenship as that would give her equal rights in the EU and the UK. As the moment she renounces her British citizenship she will loose all rights of abode and would require a visa if she ever wanted to work in the UK.

selva957
Newly Registered

Post by selva957 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:50 pm

Lachat wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:05 pm
Renounce means to give up ones citizenship and she will need to do that when she gains Spanish citizenship. I would sooner pay the higher sum to get her Irish citizenship as that would give her equal rights in the EU and the UK. As the moment she renounces her British citizenship she will loose all rights of abode and would require a visa if she ever wanted to work in the UK.
According to this website - https://rightcasa.com/do-i-have-to-give ... itizenship.
She does not have to renounce her British Citizenship with the British, just the Spanish..

Regarding Irish Citizenship - can she apply via her Grand Parents?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:23 pm

selva957 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:50 pm
According to this website - https://rightcasa.com/do-i-have-to-give ... itizenship.
She does not have to renounce her British Citizenship with the British, just the Spanish..

Regarding Irish Citizenship - can she apply via her Grand Parents?
That is different from OP's situation. OP's daughter could avail of this if she has lived in Spain for 10 years before she gives birth, but the problem here is the OP thinks their daughter may not have time to get Spanish citizenship before giving birth. Once the child is born, you cannot renounce the child's citizenship solely for the purpose of getting a different citizenship. The child would only be able to get Spanish citizenship if mother renounces her British citizenship and officially becomes stateless before giving birth. This is not a simple task.