ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Rocky101
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Rocky101 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:37 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:47 pm
dolewhip wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:33 pm
jgclancy wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:27 pm
dolewhip wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:34 pm
Well, today has come and gone (at least in terms of Dublin work hours), so I've officially made it into the honorable club of address confirmed 1+ months ago, congratulations pending.

Was really hoping those days were behind us, but I'm going to hold out hope my certificate doesn't arrive when I'm out of town (for 3 weeks in September). That would be nice.
Dolewhip-Are you signed up with USPS Informed Delivery?? ---you can add your digital signature to sign for packages even if not home. You also get a nice picture of most incoming mail.
jgclancy

p.s.--to DKCalifornia--thanks for the good wishes
Thank you for this - I do have USPS informed delivery!

Is that how our documents + certificate actually come back to us? I wasn't expecting USPS due to it being international, but I suppose the initial shipment and fulfillment don't have to be the same provider.
I'm not actually sure. I recall someone once saying it came via USPS. I just assume they use their government shipper who turns it over at JFK to the USPS. Anyone who has had their docs delivered should know though. Anyone?

jgclancy
Not sure if it's any help from the UK, but my certificate, and the passport, were both delivered by Royal Mail, our normal postal service. The Passport is tracked though so you can see when it leaves Ireland and is in the hands of the Royal Mail.

cdfly
United States of America

Post by cdfly » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:30 pm

swede_mum wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:49 pm
D Jilla wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:18 pm
northernmma wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:30 pm

I have not yet, I am hoping someone on here will have some insight as to what will happen if we do send them now despite their request not too.

My concern is that if i don't send them, it could be months or years until they decide covid is gone enough for them to start processing again, and people that sent them anyway in that time will be far ahead of us in line. However conversely, if we send the documents against their wishes who knows what they will do with them or if we will even be put in the queue.

Could anyone enlighten us?
Despite the warning not to send in applications you'd think they have a process for storing those that are sent through, even now. It's more likely they throw them straight on the pile rather than in the incinerator, but who knows how big that pile is or how it's being managed by the skeleton crew currently manning the office.

Great news about the possible reopening in September though. Might be worth hanging on until then to get in touch directly if you're looking for a conclusive answer, although even if/when they do reopen it's not guaranteed that the comms will get any better. If you do decide to send in this month then might be a good idea to keep a full backup set of docs in case the application goes missing. Hope this helps, best of luck!
Thanks for all the replies!

I think I will wait till September end to see if they officially reopen the process. I will be really disappointed if my original documents (such as Birth certificate) are misplaced or lost.
Honestly I would say - send it now! If your package is registered mail, you will be notified when it is delivered. If you’re in the USA or other parts of the world, the office may be officially open by the time It arrives.

cdfly
United States of America

Post by cdfly » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:37 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:47 pm
dolewhip wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:33 pm
jgclancy wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:27 pm
dolewhip wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:34 pm
Well, today has come and gone (at least in terms of Dublin work hours), so I've officially made it into the honorable club of address confirmed 1+ months ago, congratulations pending.

Was really hoping those days were behind us, but I'm going to hold out hope my certificate doesn't arrive when I'm out of town (for 3 weeks in September). That would be nice.
Dolewhip-Are you signed up with USPS Informed Delivery?? ---you can add your digital signature to sign for packages even if not home. You also get a nice picture of most incoming mail.
jgclancy

p.s.--to DKCalifornia--thanks for the good wishes
Thank you for this - I do have USPS informed delivery!

Is that how our documents + certificate actually come back to us? I wasn't expecting USPS due to it being international, but I suppose the initial shipment and fulfillment don't have to be the same provider.
I'm not actually sure. I recall someone once saying it came via USPS. I just assume they use their government shipper who turns it over at JFK to the USPS. Anyone who has had their docs delivered should know though. Anyone?

jgclancy
I was able to procure the tracking code for AnPost from a web agent. Put that in my USPS informed delivery packages tab to track. Didn’t see much movement until it arrived at JFK. Less then 10 days shipment to the USA though!

UncleBud
United States of America

Post by UncleBud » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:17 pm

My FBR and supporting documents arrived via the USPS in a white 8.5x11 envelope. It was included in the regular mail - no special delivery and no signature required. This was in April 2021.

ReturningIrish
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ReturningIrish » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:28 pm

Almost exactly 2 years since we submitted my daughter's application we have now received her FBR certificate. Good luck to all those still waiting, I hope you receive your certificates very soon.

Application submitted: 5 August 2019
Application received in Dublin: 14 August 2019*
Confirmation of postal address email: 3 December 2020
Congratulations you are now an Irish citizen email: N/A
Printing of FBR certificate: N/A
Delivery of FBR certificate: 3 August 2021

*Date of email acknowledging receipt of application and supporting documents

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:57 am

[/quote]
cdfly:
I was able to procure the tracking code for AnPost from a web agent. Put that in my USPS informed delivery packages tab to track. Didn’t see much movement until it arrived at JFK. Less then 10 days shipment to the USA though!
[/quote]

Thanks for the info cdfly . I have it good since my delivery address is NYC so once it lands at JFK should be fairly quick delivery by USPS.

jgclancy

dolewhip
United States of America

Post by dolewhip » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:42 am

Thank you everyone for sharing your delivery experiences!

Good to know hope's not lost if it arrives while I'm out of town (and of course, I still need the congrats message first).

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:14 am

From what I have read on here and also from the email I had from the DFA yesterday it would appear that FBR processing will be back in operation within the coming weeks and the pace will be ramped up further towards the end of the year. I look forward to visiting Dublin and Nenagh at the end of the month. I had thought to visit Balbriggan and peer through the door, however I don't think it would serve any great purpose to travel 26km on a train to visit an empty office! They ARE trying their best. I had a look on Streetview and in fancy, raised handwritten-style lettering on the wall outside the (currently closed) public entrance, it reads: "We're here to serve you!! Thanks for paying our wages!"

jdh174
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jdh174 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:48 am

Hi all - I submitted my documents and received an 'Application for Foreign Birth Registration Received' automated email on 7th October 2019. I have not received any correspondence since then including anything to confirm my address. Is anyone else on a similar timeline or having a similar experience? Many thanks!

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:58 am

jdh174 wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:48 am
Hi all - I submitted my documents and received an 'Application for Foreign Birth Registration Received' automated email on 7th October 2019. I have not received any correspondence since then including anything to confirm my address. Is anyone else on a similar timeline or having a similar experience? Many thanks!
I would imagine you'll be fairly near the front of the queue, jdh, and will likely hear something within the next 6-8 weeks. Hope you do!

My (much more recent) timeline so far:

Online application submitted 19th March 2021 - Receipt for payment came through immediately on submission
Documents received in Balbriggan: 11th June 2021
New certified copy ID sent and received in Balbriggan (as old passport had expired): 26th July 2021

babyhalloween
Newly Registered

Post by babyhalloween » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:34 am

jdh174 wrote:

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting and like a lot of you I have lurked in the shadows of this forum for a long time. I thought, as jdh enquired about their timeline, I would sign up and post because mine is quite similar...

I submitted my application 28th September 2019. I sent the documents, and I received arrival confirmation on 3rd October 2019. Still waiting for follow up, but crossing my fingers that it won't be long. Jdh, I guess this means I'm a couple days ahead of you. I know people get assigned to different teams so the wait may vary, but I will definitely post when I get mine to give others an indication.

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:07 pm

babyhalloween wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:34 am
jdh174 wrote:

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting and like a lot of you I have lurked in the shadows of this forum for a long time. I thought, as jdh enquired about their timeline, I would sign up and post because mine is quite similar...

I submitted my application 28th September 2019. I sent the documents, and I received arrival confirmation on 3rd October 2019. Still waiting for follow up, but crossing my fingers that it won't be long. Jdh, I guess this means I'm a couple days ahead of you. I know people get assigned to different teams so the wait may vary, but I will definitely post when I get mine to give others an indication.
Thanks, Hallow, and welcome. I reckon you should be getting some good news soon. It'll be another 12-18 months for me, I think.

rickiclark
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rickiclark » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:16 pm

babyhalloween= I have the same dates as you! Also have not heard anything except a few months ago when the chat service was up i got thru and had confirmed with them that yes my thing were there waiting. She said that they were processing everything up to the 30th of Sept, 2019 and then would proceed into October, Nov, etc. So it sounds like we are in the final wait stage, even tho I saw one post here that has gotten registered with docs submitted in Nov 2019, which is after us babyhalloween. oy. so i joined this board now like you after lurking for a few days. So frustrating not to be able to communicate with them. I first submitted docs in 2018 and had them all sent back because to get my parents marriage certificates as well as their license. So this is my second attempt and after 22 months on of waiting ...I'm so glad I found this board and reading others experiences is so helpful. Good luck to everyone, and see you in the pub soon :) hopefully (how many times can i check my spam and other emails?? lol)

Lonza1878
Newly Registered

Post by Lonza1878 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:33 am

Hey All

Just wanted to drop in and say hi. I have been a lurker on this forum for a while and have only just submitted my application so will have a long wait... It has been a really useful source of information so thank you posters!

I have question though, I have applied for IFBR via my grandfather on my Dads' side. I was wondering if I needed to send the marriage certificates of my Dad and my Grandfather? I haven't sent my docs yet due to the office not being open.

Thanks all

Corkythecat

Post by Corkythecat » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:32 am

Lonza1878 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:33 am
Hey All

Just wanted to drop in and say hi. I have been a lurker on this forum for a while and have only just submitted my application so will have a long wait... It has been a really useful source of information so thank you posters!

I have question though, I have applied for IFBR via my grandfather on my Dads' side. I was wondering if I needed to send the marriage certificates of my Dad and my Grandfather? I haven't sent my docs yet due to the office not being open.

Thanks all
Hi, that's a fairly fundamental question but YES - you need to send original marriage certificates for both.

I had to read through the application process a few times to understand the various steps.

You may find this youtube presentation helpful, it is from the Irish consulate in San Francisco last year - although there are a few US specific comments it is an overview of the application process and documents required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOOR0KQ_pWY

Good luck to you!

Lonza1878
Newly Registered

Post by Lonza1878 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:46 am

Brilliant - thank you for responding. I better make sure I collect those two remaining certificates then!

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:24 am

It's probably worth noting that it is possible to get two different versions of Irish birth certificates - the standard one and the fully-authenticated one. They are essentially the same document however the fully-authenticated one comes stamped and embossed with an official seal plus a letter of authentication from the registrar. It is also fully watermarked with four harps! I would always go with the full and authenticated documents when applying for anything formal like FBR or a passport as it can only help reduce any potential doubts over authenticity.

Corkythecat

Post by Corkythecat » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:58 am

Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:24 am
It's probably worth noting that it is possible to get two different versions of Irish birth certificates - the standard one and the fully-authenticated one. They are essentially the same document however the fully-authenticated one comes stamped and embossed with an official seal plus a letter of authentication from the registrar. It is also fully watermarked with four harps! I would always go with the full and authenticated documents when applying for anything formal like FBR or a passport as it can only help reduce any potential doubts over authenticity.
.......I would always go with the full and authenticated documents when applying for anything formal like FBR or a passport as it can only help reduce any potential doubts over authenticity.

Please can you supply specific evidence for this notion as regards Irish Foreign Birth Registration. e.g. a previous posting where this has been requested by DFA ,a case where an application has been delayed or rejected because of the submission of an 'unauthenticated' Irish birth certificate. Or any mention of this form of authentication as a requirement or suggestion on any DFA or Irish consulate website. Thanks

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:07 pm

Corkythecat wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:58 am
Flatcap_Julius wrote:
.......I would always go with the full and authenticated documents when applying for anything formal like FBR or a passport as it can only help reduce any potential doubts over authenticity.

Please can you supply specific evidence for this notion as regards Irish Foreign Birth Registration. e.g. a previous posting where this has been requested by DFA ,a case where an application has been delayed or rejected because of the submission of an 'unauthenticated' Irish birth certificate. Or any mention of this form of authentication as a requirement or suggestion on any DFA or Irish consulate website. Thanks
No, Corky, I have not heard of it having been a problem. As stated, the document contains the same information - so it is not like the UK birth certificates, the short version of which contains less information. I dare say people will be fine applying with the standard document. It is my own personal preference and recommendation to go for the authenticated one for the reasons outlined.

Corkythecat

Post by Corkythecat » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:56 pm

Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:07 pm
Corkythecat wrote:
Flatcap_Julius wrote:

No, Corky, I have not heard of it having been a problem. As stated, the document contains the same information - so it is not like the UK birth certificates, the short version of which contains less information. I dare say people will be fine applying with the standard document. It is my own personal preference and recommendation to go for the authenticated one for the reasons outlined.
.........I dare say people will be fine applying with the standard document. It is my own personal preference and recommendation to go for the authenticated one for the reasons outlined.

Thanks for the clarification.

I don't know if you have any relevant expertise or qualification but, just to be clear, you are making the recommendation to others based on your own preference and without reference to any specific evidence.

If that is the case it might be best to state that clearly too. Anyone looking for advice or reassurance on their application may think that they now have cause for concern or will be paying more for a level of documentation that is not needed.

Regards

NYmph10927
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by NYmph10927 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:37 pm

jdh174 wrote:
Hi jdh -

I am in nearly the same exact position as you. Application on 1st Oct 2019 online, confirmation of documents received 9th Oct 2019. I feel like a small part of my day everyday since around January 2020 has been spent checking in and wondering when it will all resolve. Hopefully we're almost there!

firefighter664
Newly Registered

Post by firefighter664 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:57 pm

jdh174 wrote:
Hi jdh. I also received my 'documents received' email on 7th October 2019 after sending my application in earlier.. Like you, I have heard nothing at all since. Hopefully not too long to wait now. Good luck.

dolewhip
United States of America

Post by dolewhip » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:07 pm

The timelines here still make absolutely no sense.

Why has anyone with a November ‘19 submission been congratulated already (barring pregnancy), while October submissions are waiting for address confirmation? These all seem to be straightforward cases, where no clarification was needed.

Why did I (a late October submission) receive address confirmation before early October cases?

Why does it take 3-10 days for most cases to progress from address confirmation to certificate printed, while others (including me and at least one other) have had to wait over a month? This is putting the December debacle behind us.

Really nothing to do except roll with it, and barring another extreme disaster, we should all have our passports within 2.5 years of the initial application. Those cases under 24 months are lucky at this stage.

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:20 pm

That is a fair point. I cannot see anything on the DFA site specifically stating any requirement for the additional authentication for Irish birth certificates for FBR applications. With this in mind, I would take the standard Irish certificate to be quite adequate. I grew up in a culture where authenticated certificates are required for pretty much everything, particularly when dealing with government departments and I suppose the habit has stuck. I actually ordered both the standard and authenticated certificates so I could see the differences between them. I chose to send the authenticated one in with my application as I wanted everything to be as authentic and valid as possible. That said, I rather stupidly neglected to notice that my passport was soon to expire, (the website and FBR guidance notes clearly state the need for a the certified state ID document to be "current") however as soon as I realised, I got the replacement passport copy duly notarised and sent it to the DFA along with a letter outlining and apologising for my oversight.

Insofar as UK birth certificates are concerned, and I believe other forum members have stated, the DFA does require the long copy birth certificates - which is entirely understandable since they need the full information on these in order to verify the family relationship to the Irish / Irish national ancestor through whom the entitlement to Irish citizenship is claimed.
Sticking with the subject of the currency of copy ID, those who applied 2 years ago may do well to check that the copy ID they sent in remains valid, or in other words check that it hasn't expired since they sent in the supporting documents for their application - as I cannot imagine the DFA waivering this particular requirement.

I recently received a response to some concerns I had raised directly with the DFA and this enlightened me on a few points regarding the complexity of the processing of applications. I would have copied it on here however I am not sure it is wholly appropriate to do so, however I will cherry-pick and paraphrase some bits that are not personal to me. For example the spelling of names can vary over generations. Citizens also often lied about their age to make themselves younger (often for marriage) or older (for work reasons) and so sometimes dates do not always tally. The DFA have to manually verify numerous documents issued from various jurisdictions and by various authorities across several generations. They have to do this on site due to data protection reasons. The DFA are looking to allocate extra resources to FBR processing with a focus on returning to pre-Covid timescales by the end of 2021. This all sounds impressive however even pre-Covid it still took 12-18 months to process applications due to the apparent complexity of the process, some aspects of which I have touched upon here.

In summary, non-authenticated Irish birth certificates are fine. Long UK birth certificates are necessary. All documentation must be in English or Irish, otherwise they must be accompanied by a certified translation - which means it the translation has to be authenticated by a certified translator. (Assermenté in French, I guess one would call them a certified translator in English).

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:22 pm

Corkythecat wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:56 pm
Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:07 pm
Corkythecat wrote:
Flatcap_Julius wrote:

.........I dare say people will be fine applying with the standard document. It is my own personal preference and recommendation to go for the authenticated one for the reasons outlined.

Thanks for the clarification.

I don't know if you have any relevant expertise or qualification but, just to be clear, you are making the recommendation to others based on your own preference and without reference to any specific evidence.

If that is the case it might be best to state that clearly too. Anyone looking for advice or reassurance on their application may think that they now have cause for concern or will be paying more for a level of documentation that is not needed.

Regards
That is a fair point. I cannot see anything on the DFA site specifically stating any requirement for the additional authentication for Irish birth certificates for FBR applications. With this in mind, I would take the standard Irish certificate to be quite adequate. I grew up in a culture where authenticated certificates are required for pretty much everything, particularly when dealing with government departments and I suppose the habit has stuck. I actually ordered both the standard and authenticated certificates so I could see the differences between them. I chose to send the authenticated one in with my application as I wanted everything to be as authentic and valid as possible. That said, I rather stupidly neglected to notice that my passport was soon to expire, (the website and FBR guidance notes clearly state the need for a the certified state ID document to be "current") however as soon as I realised, I got the replacement passport copy duly notarised and sent it to the DFA along with a letter outlining and apologising for my oversight.

Insofar as UK birth certificates are concerned, and I believe other forum members have stated, the DFA does require the long copy birth certificates - which is entirely understandable since they need the full information on these in order to verify the family relationship to the Irish / Irish national ancestor through whom the entitlement to Irish citizenship is claimed.
Sticking with the subject of the currency of copy ID, those who applied 2 years ago may do well to check that the copy ID they sent in remains valid, or in other words check that it hasn't expired since they sent in the supporting documents for their application - as I cannot imagine the DFA waivering this particular requirement.

I recently received a response to some concerns I had raised directly with the DFA and this enlightened me on a few points regarding the complexity of the processing of applications. I would have copied it on here however I am not sure it is wholly appropriate to do so, however I will cherry-pick and paraphrase some bits that are not personal to me. For example the spelling of names can vary over generations. Citizens also often lied about their age to make themselves younger (often for marriage) or older (for work reasons) and so sometimes dates do not always tally. The DFA have to manually verify numerous documents issued from various jurisdictions and by various authorities across several generations. They have to do this on site due to data protection reasons. The DFA are looking to allocate extra resources to FBR processing with a focus on returning to pre-Covid timescales by the end of 2021. This all sounds impressive however even pre-Covid it still took 12-18 months to process applications due to the apparent complexity of the process, some aspects of which I have touched upon here.

In summary, non-authenticated Irish birth certificates are fine. Long UK birth certificates are necessary. All documentation must be in English or Irish, otherwise they must be accompanied by a certified translation - which means it the translation has to be authenticated by a certified translator. (Assermenté in French, I guess one would call them a certified translator in English).