ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:03 pm

Lonza1878 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:07 pm
Hi All

A quick question for those who have had to get English marriage certificates. I can see that I can order them online via the General Register Office, and have got the necessary information to order them. However when ordering, the online form makes no mention of getting a certified copy.

Is it enough just to request copies via the GRO and will they be acceptable to the IFBR team?

Any advice will be greatly received :D

Thanks
Yes, the standard copies will be fine. The only thing that need to be certified are translations of documents that are in a language other than English or Irish. Of course the photos and copy of current, valid state ID need to be signed and witnessed too. One thing the the GRO - they are incredibly slow - - when I applied for my documents back in March I didn't get them until the end of April. If you want something quicker you have to pay a very expensive fee. I should add that the GRO are very unhelpful and not very contactable while on the other hand the Irish authorities were lovely to deal with, and were pleasant and efficient.

maishun
China

Post by maishun » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:01 pm

Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:15 am
maishun wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:16 am
Has anyone called FBR?~~~~ Our Offices

Headquarters

Department of Foreign Affairs
Iveagh House
80 St Stephen’s Green
Dublin 2
D02 VY53
Tel: + 353 (0) 1 408 2000
Not recently. Called them in 2016 and then various things happened that took priority. If the Pregnancy Team haven't replied to you I'd go with the live chat option. It's hard to get through to them but you will if you persevere. They will help you if you're expecting a baby, so keep trying the live chat. Good luck!

Regards,

Flatcap
https://www.dfa.ie/about-us/contact-us/ ... ship/Hello, are you chatting here?

maishun
China

Post by maishun » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:03 pm

maishun wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:01 pm
Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:15 am
maishun wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:16 am
Has anyone called FBR?~~~~ Our Offices

Headquarters

Department of Foreign Affairs
Iveagh House
80 St Stephen’s Green
Dublin 2
D02 VY53
Tel: + 353 (0) 1 408 2000
Not recently. Called them in 2016 and then various things happened that took priority. If the Pregnancy Team haven't replied to you I'd go with the live chat option. It's hard to get through to them but you will if you persevere. They will help you if you're expecting a baby, so keep trying the live chat. Good luck!

Regards,

Flatcap
https://www.dfa.ie/about-us/contact-us/ ... ship/Hello, are you chatting here?
The chat page won't open anyway

firefighter664
Newly Registered

Post by firefighter664 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:53 pm

I was unable to locate my Irish grandmother's marriage certificate when collating my documentation. I was advised by someone at DFA that this shouldn't be a problem when applying for an FBR entry and that I should just explain this on a covering letter, which I did when I submitted my application in August 2019. I haven't heard anything since unfortunately.

I just wondered whether anyone else submitted an application with some missing documentation and have still been successful? Thanks.

Tourin31
Newly Registered

Post by Tourin31 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:39 am

Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:03 pm
One thing the the GRO - they are incredibly slow - - when I applied for my documents back in March I didn't get them until the end of April. If you want something quicker you have to pay a very expensive fee. I should add that the GRO are very unhelpful and not very contactable while on the other hand the Irish authorities were lovely to deal with, and were pleasant and efficient.
I have ordered many docs from the GRO over the years and have never waited more than 5 working days to receive them. If you include the GRO index when requesting the certificates it will make it quicker for you as they don’t have to research it, you can find all the references (ie year, volume, page number) on the FreeBMD website: https://www.freebmd.org.uk/search

It took two months for me to get my grandmother’s birth certificate from Ireland, which is fine as they are transparent about how long it takes, but it’s certainly not quicker.

Muscat

Post by Muscat » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:07 pm

Tourin31 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:39 am
Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:03 pm
One thing the the GRO - they are incredibly slow - - when I applied for my documents back in March I didn't get them until the end of April. If you want something quicker you have to pay a very expensive fee. I should add that the GRO are very unhelpful and not very contactable while on the other hand the Irish authorities were lovely to deal with, and were pleasant and efficient.
I have ordered many docs from the GRO over the years and have never waited more than 5 working days to receive them. If you include the GRO index when requesting the certificates it will make it quicker for you as they don’t have to research it, you can find all the references (ie year, volume, page number) on the FreeBMD website: https://www.freebmd.org.uk/search

It took two months for me to get my grandmother’s birth certificate from Ireland, which is fine as they are transparent about how long it takes, but it’s certainly not quicker.
We have ordered many documents relating to my FBR application and my daughters’ CNF (French nationality) and they’ve always arrived very swiftly.

rickiclark
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rickiclark » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:18 pm

by dolewhip » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:54 am
After 5+ weeks since the last milestone, excited to share one more update:

Application submitted online: 7th October 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 24th October 2019
Confirmation of address email: 13th July 2021 (Team 1)
Congratulations email: 18th August 2021
Certificate received: pending

So almost 22 months since my documents were received, it's really happening!

Dolewhip: I'm very happy for you A'nd envious ;( My application was received 3Oct2019, and nothing yet at all. Zero communication since the documents recieved email in October 2019. I got thru to them on passport webchat and John said that the FBR section has been closed from March 2020 and he has not been advised when they will open, or was he even aware of 'teams' working on FBR with some being processed as documented on this chat board etc. Seemed 'be patient' is all you can get out them. I tink they need to step it up a wee bit. Hope I see an email from them sooooooooon..... Anyone have an email address to send questions to that actually reach a person? thanks. Cheers and good luck to all

kazzac01
Newly Registered

Post by kazzac01 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:19 pm

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a little while and have found the updates on this forum really useful so thanks to everyone posting their updates. It's good to see certificates are trickling out now.

I applied in October 2019 on behalf of my daughter. At the time of application she was 16 and a half so I applied for her as a child and paid the child fee. With the long delay she has now turned 18. Does anyone know if we'll be asked to pay an additional fee to convert her application to an adult one? I'm worried this might cause a further delay in getting her certificate.

xochie
Newly Registered
Zimbabwe

Post by xochie » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:33 pm

Hi, I am delighted to find this site after 2 years in limbo. I applied for my daughter's citizenship in August 2019 and like many here still in limbo. My biggest issue is that included in the papers submitted was my only copy of my Zimbabwean Birth Certificate. This is pretty much irreplaceable as it can only be obtained physically in Harare and as I have no intention of returning there (Covid or otherwise) its an incredibly important document to me. Unfortunately, unlike the process in other countries, the Birth Registration in Ireland do not review and return original documents upon receipt. Fortunately I have not needed it to date but it may be required sometime in the near future. I guess my concern is are my documents really being stored safely and is there any chance that this could be another year!!

brainiacghost

Post by brainiacghost » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:58 pm

xochie wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:33 pm
Hi, I am delighted to find this site after 2 years in limbo. I applied for my daughter's citizenship in August 2019 and like many here still in limbo. My biggest issue is that included in the papers submitted was my only copy of my Zimbabwean Birth Certificate. This is pretty much irreplaceable as it can only be obtained physically in Harare and as I have no intention of returning there (Covid or otherwise) its an incredibly important document to me. Unfortunately, unlike the process in other countries, the Birth Registration in Ireland do not review and return original documents upon receipt. Fortunately I have not needed it to date but it may be required sometime in the near future. I guess my concern is are my documents really being stored safely and is there any chance that this could be another year!!
Weirdly I'm in almost the exact same situation as you (it's my mother's birth certificate). I got in touch via the passport webchat, who gave me an email address to contact the FBR team. They can't expedite processing of the whole FBR as it doesn't meet the criteria for that, but they have kindly agreed to process and return my mother's birth certificate to me as we may need it soon.

DKCalifornia
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by DKCalifornia » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:08 pm

I'm happy to see some of the May-August2019 group finally getting emails and certificates! Congrats to you all. We are a June 2019 with nothing from FBR after address confirmation. So, now 26 months waiting... seems like this will never happen. At least if FBR does reopen to phone/chat in September, we will be able to follow-up then.
Again, great to hear that some are getting processed - cross fingers for us.

Fish Fry
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Fish Fry » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:51 am

DKCalifornia wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:08 pm
I'm happy to see some of the May-August2019 group finally getting emails and certificates! Congrats to you all. We are a June 2019 with nothing from FBR after address confirmation. So, now 26 months waiting... seems like this will never happen. At least if FBR does reopen to phone/chat in September, we will be able to follow-up then.
Again, great to hear that some are getting processed - cross fingers for us.
Good luck to you. I filed in May 2019 and hadn't heard anything until yesterday when I received the email asking me to confirm my address. I'd almost given up hope, so hang in there.

dolewhip
United States of America

Post by dolewhip » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:31 am

rickiclark wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:18 pm
Dolewhip: I'm very happy for you A'nd envious ;( My application was received 3Oct2019, and nothing yet at all. Zero communication since the documents recieved email in October 2019. I got thru to them on passport webchat and John said that the FBR section has been closed from March 2020 and he has not been advised when they will open, or was he even aware of 'teams' working on FBR with some being processed as documented on this chat board etc. Seemed 'be patient' is all you can get out them. I tink they need to step it up a wee bit. Hope I see an email from them sooooooooon..... Anyone have an email address to send questions to that actually reach a person? thanks. Cheers and good luck to all
I'm sorry about your experience! Obviously can't complain now, but I was certainly frustrated seeing November applications move forward before I'd heard anything.

Someone here even noticed applications during a certain window being processed in reverse order. I can't explain it (or how there could still be June '19 cases with no update), it really makes no sense, but we'll all get there.

I will say the "address confirmation" email comes from an individual on a specific team, whereas my congrats email came from a "no reply" address. I have a feeling the individuals reaching out will only have insight into the cases they're handling, or at least the cases on their team, so probably have to hold tight a bit longer.

Muscat

Post by Muscat » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:15 pm

dolewhip wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:31 am

Someone here even noticed applications during a certain window being processed in reverse order. I can't explain it (or how there could still be June '19 cases with no update), it really makes no sense, but we'll all get there.
That is literally what is happening in my Department in France for post-Brexit residency permits. I applied on the first day the portal opened (19th Oct 2020) and I still don’t have a date for an appointment, with the deadline to have an official plastic ID card in my possession only 6 weeks away. It’s immensely frustrating to see people who applied just a few weeks ago already with cards already in hand. The computer system apparently only shows the most recent 1000 applicants. Maybe something similar happens on the FBR computer system…?

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:54 pm

An update to keep everyone informed. June 27, 2019 applicant here. I received my "Congrats you're approved" email on Aug 12 2021. It arrived in US Postal system on Aug 14, 2021 & is being processed. Today-my USPS Informed Delivery account emailed that it's in a Brooklyn NYC processing facility. So I should have it soon. Hopefully, today but by Monday for sure. All for now.

jgclancy

dolewhip
United States of America

Post by dolewhip » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:36 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:54 pm
An update to keep everyone informed. June 27, 2019 applicant here. I received my "Congrats you're approved" email on Aug 12 2021. It arrived in US Postal system on Aug 14, 2021 & is being processed. Today-my USPS Informed Delivery account emailed that it's in a Brooklyn NYC processing facility. So I should have it soon. Hopefully, today but by Monday for sure. All for now.

jgclancy
Amazing, that’s faster than I would have thought!

My certificate will have a longer commute (based in SoCal), but this gives me hope I’ll have it by the end of the month—and, more importantly, before three weeks of travel in September.

firefighter664
Newly Registered

Post by firefighter664 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:42 pm

I applied 2 years ago today and not heard a sausage since. The website has consistently said the waiting time is 12-18 months throughout that time :D The wait goes on.

BigDaddy100
United States of America

Post by BigDaddy100 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:28 am

jgclancy wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:54 pm

jgclancy
Excellent! You're almost there. :)
Cheers

Corkythecat

Post by Corkythecat » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:34 am

firefighter664 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:42 pm
I applied 2 years ago today and not heard a sausage since. The website has consistently said the waiting time is 12-18 months throughout that time :D The wait goes on.
Yep - I'm on second anniversary now - I've not heard a dickie-bird - on the scale of not hearing anything I'm not sure which of us is worse off ? Sausage sounds worse though. Roll on September!

Corkythecat

Post by Corkythecat » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:52 am

Corkythecat wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:34 am
firefighter664 wrote:
Yep - I'm on second anniversary now - I've not heard a dickie-bird - on the scale of not hearing anything I'm not sure which of us is worse off ? Sausage sounds worse though. Roll on September!
Maybe we could define a 10 point 'not heard anything scale' for future communication with the FBR teams - they are going to have a deluge of queries when things get moving again? :)

firefighter664
Newly Registered

Post by firefighter664 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:10 pm

That's a good idea Corky! :D All we can do is stay positive and keep our sense of humour. Hopefully we'll both hear something in the coming weeks. Best of British, and Irish, luck to you.

Tumbledwyer
Newly Registered

Post by Tumbledwyer » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:28 pm

Corkythecat wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:32 am
Lonza1878 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:33 am
Hey All

Just wanted to drop in and say hi. I have been a lurker on this forum for a while and have only just submitted my application so will have a long wait... It has been a really useful source of information so thank you posters!

I have question though, I have applied for IFBR via my grandfather on my Dads' side. I was wondering if I needed to send the marriage certificates of my Dad and my Grandfather? I haven't sent my docs yet due to the office not being open.

Thanks all
Hi, that's a fairly fundamental question but YES - you need to send original marriage certificates for both.

I had to read through the application process a few times to understand the various steps.

You may find this youtube presentation helpful, it is from the Irish consulate in San Francisco last year - although there are a few US specific comments it is an overview of the application process and documents required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOOR0KQ_pWY

Good luck to you!
Eeek! Just realised I haven't sent in my father's or grandfather's marriage certificates! Thanks Corkythecat for highlighting. I was working off the basis that they haven't changed their names, but thinking about it now I guess they need to trace names onto the next generation of birth certs.
I'm well down the queue in terms of processing times (Sept 2020 applicant). My own fault if the application gets rejected out of hand, but has anyone sent extra docs later on quoting your application number? Maybe I should just wait until they email... hmmm.

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:54 pm

Let's hope we see an announcement on the DFA website in early September as has been rumoured will happen. I will be in Ireland then - so excited - never been there before. Congratulations to everyone who's getting some good news - you sure deserve it, waiting c. years.

dolewhip
United States of America

Post by dolewhip » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:01 pm

Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:54 pm
Let's hope we see an announcement on the DFA website in early September as has been rumoured will happen. I will be in Ireland then - so excited - never been there before. Congratulations to everyone who's getting some good news - you sure deserve it, waiting c. years.
Enjoy! I've also never been, aside from a few hours at the airport on the way to Paris - would be thrilled if my first visit could be using an Irish passport.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:09 pm

firefighter664 wrote:

Thats terrible !!!!!

I applied on August 2018 and got my FBR in June 2019, then my passport in August 2019