ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I travel to EU with a residence permit after moving out of EU

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ryuza448
Newly Registered
India

Can I travel to EU with a residence permit after moving out of EU

Post by ryuza448 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:52 pm

I recently moved to the UK from Germany. I was living in Germany on my EU residence/work permit(AUFENTHALTSTITEL) endorsed with my employer. I have moved internally with the same company to the UK and my employment with the Germany entity has been terminated.

I know for a fact that we have to return back our residence permit and de-register from germany. I have not yet posted/returned my residence permit as I have just moved last month to UK. I want to understand if the Germany residence permit can be used for any immediate travel to germany before I return it back? I have some furniture/luggage and some admin work related to housing still unfinished and might have to travel to finish that. if anybody has had any similar experience before and can share some insights if they have travelled in such a case and if they had any complications later on or if they are even allowed to travel in this case?

hopeitwill
Newly Registered
Mood:

Re: Can I travel to EU with a residence permit after moving out of EU

Post by hopeitwill » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:00 pm

Probably not recommended but you should be able to.

I was a student in a schengen country but I got married and moved to the UK in Feb. I had my other residence card from the Schengen country valid until October meaning it was still valid for 8 months and I had to travel back and forth for exams after I had moved to the UK.

I wouldn't think anyone will be questioning you at the border. But as soon as it is not needed anymore, I'd get my deregistration because your record goes on and on.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Can I travel to EU with a residence permit after moving out of EU

Post by ALKB » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:01 am

hopeitwill wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:00 pm
I'd get my deregistration because your record goes on and on.
@OP

Also, you usually need your de-registration certificate to cancel your German health insurance and they will bill you up to the date on the certificate.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.