ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

[EUSS] Received letter that I'm illegal but I have settled status?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Euscheme_problem
Newly Registered
Austria

[EUSS] Received letter that I'm illegal but I have settled status?

Post by Euscheme_problem » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:19 am

Hi everyone,

This morning I received a letter from the Home Office that I need to apply to the EUSS within 28 days or I will become an illegal immigrant and lose all my rights.
But I already hold settled status and have done so since 2019?
I checked my online status and it is displaying correctly and stating I have indefinite leave to remain. No BRC / BRP as I'm an EU citizen.

The letter states that if I have a status already I need to call 0300 1050 888 to sort it out but every time I call it just hangs up on me saying "there's too many people calling, please try again later".

It's freaking me out a bit, especially as I'm about to go on holiday next week and am worried about the return flight now. What do I do?

Euscheme_problem
Newly Registered
Austria

Re: [EUSS] Received letter that I'm illegal but I have settled status?

Post by Euscheme_problem » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:41 am

As I can't edit: I just got through to the EUSS Resolution Centre and they told me that they "erroneously" sent this letter to "a lot" of people having status already. And the only way to fix it is to call the number I posted above, which is not taking calls. The lady could not help me further, besides stating that if I have a status, I have a status, and they just need to update their records via the phone number.

So I'm stuck now, as I imagine a lot of people are, as 3million posted about this letter as well...

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:41 am

If they can confirm that you have status, then they know their letter was mistaken. I’m surprised why they couldn’t update their records themselves without needing you to call a number?

Take a screenshot of your status for your records.

Try complaining?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Euscheme_problem
Newly Registered
Austria

Post by Euscheme_problem » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:02 am

vinny wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:41 am
If they can confirm that you have status, then they know their letter was mistaken. I’m surprised why they couldn’t update their records themselves without needing you to call a number?

Take a screenshot of your status for your records.

Try complaining?
Apparently, the two departments, EUSS and UKVI, aren't connected database wise. So EUSS knows I have status, but UKVI doesn't. Complaining doesn't help as they never reply. I sent an email to my MP.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:06 am

That is not correct, as the UKVI which is part of the. Home Office, controls the EUSS.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Euscheme_problem
Newly Registered
Austria

Post by Euscheme_problem » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:16 am

Obie wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:06 am
That is not correct, as the UKVI which is part of the. Home Office, controls the EUSS.
I don't know, it's what the EUSS Resolution Centre told me, that they made an error and sent the letters out.

This is the current up-to-date information regarding this issue I can find:

Euscheme_problem
Newly Registered
Austria

Post by Euscheme_problem » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:49 am

I've managed to reach that number provided after over an hour on hold and the lady on the phone said the exact same thing, that the database didn't transfer and they're having massive issues with their database and need to update people manually and go through everyone holding a status.
So she took down my details and updated the database so I "shouldn't have problems in the future" but she suggested for me to print off my letter saying I got settled status, in case IT breaks down again.

Just another time it shows that us EU citizens should have a physical proof of our status...

Bazinga_

Post by Bazinga_ » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:30 am

This is really serious and sad really. A disaster awaiting to happen if not already ruining people’s lives.

Databases. Stick this in excel and a few formulas a high school kid can work out to solve this before sending erroneous letters out! Such a sad state of affairs. HO keeps creating problem after problem for themselves. Now the phone line is going to be jammed! Snowballing of problems.

God help us.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:54 am

This kind of thing has been expected - part of Immigration Enforcement. Very unprofessional to say the least. EU citizens must realise they now count as "normal" immigrants. EUSS give a few advantages over others but nevertheless it's part of the UK immigration rule book.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Euscheme_problem
Newly Registered
Austria

Post by Euscheme_problem » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:58 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:54 am
This kind of thing has been expected - part of Immigration Enforcement. Very unprofessional to say the least. EU citizens must realise they now count as "normal" immigrants. EUSS give a few advantages over others but nevertheless it's part of the UK immigration rule book.
It's fine being a "normal immigrant" but I've known a good few immigrants back in Austria and besides having to go through bureaucracy to apply, they never had any issues, database errors or threatening letters.
Once their status was sorted and went through the system they were regular residents.
Same with me when I spent a year in Singapore, immigration took some work and effort but after it was smooth sailing.

Here in the UK I constantly hear issues and problems faced by legal immigrants and negative and disheartening news coming from the Home Office. It's disappointing, worrisome and makes us foreigners feel second class and unwelcome (which might be the goal?).

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:32 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Where as other migrant are in the UK at the mercy of the Home Office, the rights of EU migrant is controlled by the Withdrawal Agreement, which is an international treaty. Therefore EU migrant must not allow themselves to feel victimised, as their presence is controlled by EU treaty.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:26 pm

As they say in German, "Papier is geduldig". Until your rights and entitlements are confirmed lot's of time passes.
Certainly any infringements of the WA must be challenged, up to and including the highest courts.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Bazinga_

Post by Bazinga_ » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:20 pm

Obie wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:32 am
alterhase58 wrote:
Where as other migrant are in the UK at the mercy of the Home Office, the rights of EU migrant is controlled by the Withdrawal Agreement, which is an international treaty. Therefore EU migrant must not allow themselves to feel victimised, as their presence is controlled by EU treaty.
The EU treaty as part of the NI protocol the government has threatened to shred? Doubt it holds much weight. The government doesn’t respect it and others are weary to enter into any agreement with us. Shameful really.

My issue is incompetence. So many unforced errors they didn’t have to get themselves into.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:26 pm

Normal country would recognise and abide by their international obligation.

As i was writing, I noticed the UK is indeed seeking to breach its international obligation in relation to Northern Ireland protocol.

At present the treaty is in our primary legislation, and it has direct effect in the court.

But i agree with you, that the UK government cannot be trusted.