ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship/naturalisation eligibility for UK born children when parent gets ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

zhd
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

British citizenship/naturalisation eligibility for UK born children when parent gets ILR

Post by zhd » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:16 pm

Hello lovely people,

I have a complex query. I have two children and both born (2010 and 2015) in the UK, but parents (both me and my wife) were in Tier 4 student and/or dependent visa during their birth. My wife and both children are currently living outside UK for more than 2 years hence their continuous living status discontinued. I’m in Skilled Worker Visa at the moment and my ILR is going to be due on March 2024 through 10 years Long Residence Rule (if I choose ILR via Skilled Worker Visa route, the ILR will be due in November 2025).

My question is that will my children eligible for citizenship/naturalisation when I’m going to get my ILR on March 2024? Secondly, do they need to be in the UK during the application?

It’d be highly appreciated if a knowledgeable person respond my query.

Many thanks

ouflak1

Re: British citizenship/naturalisation eligibility for UK born children when parent gets ILR

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:01 am

I can see nothing in the rules that explicity requires that the children be currently resident in the UK for the application to be made and to be successful. Where I believe you will run into real issues is with getting the referees. They are more lax with children's applications, but this could be a sticking point if no UK citizen is available for that.

(The two-year thing you mention is for considerations of loss of permanent residence status and doesn't really apply to 'temporary' visas.)