ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student Visa extension but lacking ATAS

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Goenitz
Mood:
Pakistan

Student Visa extension but lacking ATAS

Post by Goenitz » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:23 pm

Good day,

I am waiting for my PhD viva which is due on 16th Sept. My visa is expiring on 30th August 2021. The viva will be online.

To extend my Visa I need ATAS (applied on 4th Aug). I was hoping to apply for Graduate route before.
Anyway, what should I do in case I don't receive ATAS in time:

1. Apply visa with old ATAS and CAS and then submit the new one when document submission is required?
2. Request "Exceptional Assurance Team" if they can extend my visa on basis that I will get ATAS but later than 30 Aug. As remote connectivity and power uncertainty can undermine my viva.
3. Apply for Graduate route and hope that I pass viva and submit my course completion document after 16 Sept.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Student Visa extension but lacking ATAS

Post by sah10406 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:45 am

It is vital to get advice on your options from the international student adviser at your university.

Exceptional assurance is not relevant to you. It is for people who cannot leave the UK due to the pandemic, not someone who is buying time before making an application.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Goenitz
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Goenitz » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:11 am

Thank you for the clarification.

In addition, I want to buy ticket on 28th Aug, if ATAS is nor arrived. However, the ticket will surely be after my visa expiry (30 Aug).
Should I buy early and ask "Exceptional assurance team", if the ticket is after 30th or can I buy ticket late and ask "Exceptional assurance team" then.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:27 am

I really think this is something that your university needs to be involved with, and to advise on your best course of action.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Goenitz
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Goenitz » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:54 pm

Thank you. Stay blessed.
Frankly, I am thinking to apply for a PGCert that is full time and hold CAS.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:24 pm

How will you demonstrate academic progression after doing a PhD and then applying for a PGCert? This is a requirement if you want to apply for another Student visa. See page 49:Student route caseworker guidance
Goenitz wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:54 pm
3. Apply for Graduate route and hope that I pass viva and submit my course completion document after 16 Sept.
You can apply to the Graduate route once the university confirms successful completion of your studies and informs UKVI about that. See page 3: The Graduate Immigration Route

You need to sort this situation out with your current university, they will be able to tell you what you should do.

Goenitz
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Goenitz » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:05 pm

Thank you for the clarification:
1. I have submitted my dissertation and I will ask the faculty to produce some certificate showing that.
2. Yes, successful completion is required for the Graduate route. I was counting on the lag of application process. Whereas, viva and subsequent correction may take months.

I will ask about the first point from my university as I am not longer a full-time student and about the progression proof. The PgCHPE is a higher level course.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:50 pm

1. Possibly you can get a letter from them as a proof of thesis submission, but they also have to inform UKVI once you complete your programme before you can apply to the Graduate route. This is clearly stated in the guide previously cited.

2. Completion of studies (and therefore your sponsor informing UKVI about it) will happen once you pass your Viva/corrections are made. If you already started a process to extend your visa, the university is the best place to seek advise. If you try to apply to the GR now most likely your application will be rejected.

Goenitz
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Goenitz » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:11 pm

Thank you for the info about the complete of course is required and UKVI must know about my course completion.

However, why they put this condition if only completion of course is required:

"You need to have studied your course in the UK for at least 12 months or the full length of your course, whichever is shorter."

I am in touch with the university student visa team, perhaps I need to push harder.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:23 pm

That applies when switching from a Student visa to a Skilled Worker visa.

For the Graduate route other conditions apply.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:32 am

lolo2 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:23 pm
That applies when switching from a Student visa to a Skilled Worker visa.

For the Graduate route other conditions apply.
You are confusing two different matters. This is indeed a requirement of the Graduate route.

OP, I can only reiterate that this is something for your university to help you with. Crowdsourcing visa advice from non-experts here is causing further confusion.

Goenitz
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Goenitz » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:16 pm

Hi,

I have applied for Exceptional Assurance Request and got it in 2 hours.

I cited that my Country is in red list and I cannot come back to UK even if I get visa at my home country. Also, I stated that my viva is due and in travelling I can get corona or get false positive which will put me in quarantine. This will undermine my 4 years of work.

I think they have some AI which select key words. So do state the reason like Red List etc. S previously, I did get just automatic reply as I stated everything else, except Pakistan being in red list.

Lastly, the scheme will expire this month.