ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

From EU SS Family Permit to Pre-settled Status. HELP!

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Crosshaven
Newly Registered
Ireland

From EU SS Family Permit to Pre-settled Status. HELP!

Post by Crosshaven » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:14 am

Hello all.

Hope somebody might be able to help as finding the pre-settled-status application quite confusing. My situation is that my wife is in the UK now on an EU SS Family Permit and we are just about to apply for pre-settled status. The problems are, 1. We can't use the app to verify her identity, as she doesn't have a biometric residence card/permit. She is from a non-EEA country, so has to use her passport. 2. There isn't an option on the App to prove/submit her identity by post/online. 3. The one registration facility in our area that used to allow applicants to come and scan their documents to prove identity, no longer offers the service due to Covid.

Just wondering what are our options now? Is it possible to scan/prove identity at the UKVCAS Service point when going to do her biometrics? If not, it means she has to send her passport to the Home Office? Any idea how long the turnaround usually is?

So hard to find clear, unambiguous information that would simplify the whole process. Thanks in advance for any information or advice that anyone might be able to provide.

Obie
Ireland

Re: From EU SS Family Permit to Pre-settled Status. HELP!

Post by Obie » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:35 am

You need to use the EU settlement scheme Surinder Singh application, which is now available online.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:20 am

Obie wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:35 am
You need to use the EU settlement scheme Surinder Singh application, which is now available online.
I think that with SS the OP means Settlement Scheme not Surinder Singh... Could the OP please clarify?
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:26 am

I think you may be right, it is not always safe to assume SS is Surinder Singh, upon further consideration, it appears that abbreviation is Settlement scheme.

He can still use the online if that is the case, but has to enter passport details and undertake to send, but as this person will need a biometrics card, he or she should proceed by booking an appointment.

katjes
Newly Registered

Post by katjes » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:47 am

I am pretty sure OP means settlement scheme - I am currently going through exact same issue with the parents who came on EUSS Family Permit. There seems to be no way how to start the application other than sending the passport to the Home Office which will delay starting the application by another month?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:50 am

No need to send passport to Home Office. When you attend biometrics, they will scan and give back to you.

katjes
Newly Registered

Post by katjes » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:13 pm

Obie wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:50 am
No need to send passport to Home Office. When you attend biometrics, they will scan and give back to you.
Unfortunately there is no option to start the application - they ask to have the identity document checked by the app (not possible for NZ passport with the FP vignette), get it checked in one of their centres (which are closed due to covid) or send it to Home Office by post, they will create the UKVI account and only then I will be able to begin the application to the settlement scheme.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:16 pm

That is not correct. As your wife needs to have her biometrics done, you will have to book a biometrics appointment, and it is to that appointment that you should take the passport. You must not send it

Crosshaven
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Crosshaven » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:26 pm

Hi all. Update, apologies, I do mean the Settlement Scheme. I have to say that there is lots of confusing information out there. However, in spite of what the online application actually states, you do not have to post the passport/verify ID.

Simply do the online application (even when it says to apply online and by post ..... simply ignore the post bit), then once you have completed all of the steps and uploaded the required evidence, you will then get an email, which will allow you to open an account and then book an appointment to do the biometrics.

Probably the most unclear and ridiculous process I've ever experienced but it eventually all worked out in the end.