ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does benefits will affect my Citizenship Apllication.

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

wish_uk
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Does benefits will affect my Citizenship Apllication.

Post by wish_uk » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:21 pm

Hi All,

I was working as a delivery partner with Deliveroo (self employed). Almost 5 years 60 hrs/week
My agreement was terminated.
I also had an accident and gone through surgery. Had to take off Oct - April. (Sick note)

Now I am working with Uber (food delivery)

if I work 40 hrs a week, The net profit would be £200

My Rent is £1100 .

I am also unable to work 12 hrs because of backbone pain.

Also I have a family, if I work more I cant spend time with family.

Please advise if I can apply for UC being a self employed.

I tried to calculate benefits on entitled to do, it ask me how many hours I work.
I am confused what to say here since I am self employed, and income varies week to week.

I never had thoughts to apply for benefits but my backbone doesn't allow me to work too much anymore.

Also I am so nervous , if it can have any negative effects on my Citizenship application.
married Aug 2014

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Does benefits will affect my Citizenship Apllication.

Post by JB007 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:11 am

wish_uk wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:21 pm

My Rent is £1100 .

I tried to calculate benefits on entitled to do, it ask me how many hours I work.
I am confused what to say here since I am self employed, and income varies week to week.
You and your EU citizen wife have to claim Universal Credit as a couple. Both of your monthly incomes/savings/capital are used to calculate your joint monthly UC benefit payment.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... or-couples

You can indeed choose to work as little as you like to be able to spend more time with your family, but if you want Universal Credit low income benefits, the Self Employed have a monthly Minimum Income Floor for UC. Your UC MIF will be the minimum you should earn each month and your part of your joint UC benefit claim is based on your MIF, even if you don't earn that much. If you earn more than your MIF that month, that is what your UC benefit payment (if any that month) is based on.

If your EU wife is an employee, she will also have to earn a minimum each month to avoid the Universal Credit conditions .

Both your SE MIF and your wif'es earnings (if she is an emplyee) or MIF (if she is self employed) are used in any joint monthly UC claim.

You will need a medical to prove you are unable to work, in any job, for more than a few hours each week. About 20 years ago the then government brought in a contractor to carry out these medicals for benefits and all the governments since have continued with that requirement. Otherwise your UC SE MIF will likely be the 35 hours a week at the hourly national minimum wage.

You can read about the Universal Credit MIF for the Self Employed. Here is one-
https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guid ... d-earnings

wish_uk
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by wish_uk » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:28 am

JB007 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:11 am
wish_uk wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:21 pm

My Rent is £1100 .

You and your EU citizen wife have to claim Universal Credit as a couple. Both of your monthly incomes/savings/capital are used to calculate your joint monthly UC benefit payment.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... or-couples

You can indeed choose to work as little as you like to be able to spend more time with your family, but if you want Universal Credit low income benefits, the Self Employed have a monthly Minimum Income Floor for UC. Your UC MIF will be the minimum you should earn each month and your part of your joint UC benefit claim is based on your MIF, even if you don't earn that much. If you earn more than your MIF that month, that is what your UC benefit payment (if any that month) is based on.

If your EU wife is an employee, she will also have to earn a minimum each month to avoid the Universal Credit conditions .

Both your SE MIF and your wif'es earnings (if she is an emplyee) or MIF (if she is self employed) are used in any joint monthly UC claim.

You will need a medical to prove you are unable to work, in any job, for more than a few hours each week. About 20 years ago the then government brought in a contractor to carry out these medicals for benefits and all the governments since have continued with that requirement. Otherwise your UC SE MIF will likely be the 35 hours a week at the hourly national minimum wage.

You can read about the Universal Credit MIF for the Self Employed. Here is one-
https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guid ... d-earnings
Thank u soo much.
Any effect on citizenship application
married Aug 2014

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:34 am

wish_uk wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:28 am
Any effect on citizenship application
You are allowed to have welfare benefits from the UK as you have the EU Settled Status.

However, you might find you can't have any Universal Credit because your Self Employed Minimum Income Floor and your wife's earnings are too high.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:55 am

JB007 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:34 am
However, you might find you can't have any Universal Credit because your Self Employed Minimum Income Floor and your wife's earnings are too high.
I'm assuming you are still with your EU wife as you were told in your various threads that it was your EU citizen wife who would have to be the sponsor to the UK for your mother, brothers and sister?
eea-route-applications/eea-family-permi ... l#p1847210

wish_uk
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by wish_uk » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:58 am

JB007 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:55 am
JB007 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:34 am
I'm assuming you are still with your EU wife as you were told in your various threads that it was your EU citizen wife who would have to be the sponsor to the UK for your mother, brothers and sister?
eea-route-applications/eea-family-permi ... l#p1847210

Due to covid , she lost job as well
married Aug 2014

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:20 pm

Be aware that the temporary extra £20 a week on UC because of the Covid lockdowns, is coming to an end. Benefit calculators only show an amount based on the rules on the day, even when known changes are coming. Your wife will be treated as a jobseeker on your joint claim.

For the rent element, if you don't have children then it reads like you will only get the 1 bedroom rent element. You can look here to see the maximum amount used in your UC calculations for your area. That isn't what they will pay, that is just the maximum used before earnings, savings, your self employed MIF etc are deducted.
https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/

Your non-EEA mother is not part of your claim and her wages and capital are not used in your Universal Credit calculations, unless she a joint tenant on your tenency agreement.

Even if they are not a joint tenant, there could be another deduction from your UC rent element if there is another adult at the propery.

Those on pre-settled don't have a claim to UK benefits if that is their only "right to reside". If your mother is claiming benefits as her sponsor (your wife) is a worker, I'm not sure how her being out of work for a long time would affect any benefits your mother might be claiming if her only right to reside (for benefits) then becomes the pre-settled status? If this is the case, you might want to ask an immigration advisor who also knows about UK benefits.
https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Your-Situati ... -to-reside

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:34 pm

JB007 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:20 pm
If this is the case, you might want to ask an immigration advisor who also knows about UK benefits.
Find an immigration adviser
https://www.gov.uk/find-an-immigration-adviser

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:14 pm

This seems to be a clear explanation on reporting self employed earnings for Universal Credit and the minimum income floor.
https://www.gov.uk/self-employment-and-universal-credit

Then there is the surplus earnings disregard, that is set to reduce from April.
https://revenuebenefits.org.uk/universa ... and-losses

wish_uk
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by wish_uk » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:49 pm

JB007 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:20 pm
Be aware that the temporary extra £20 a week on UC because of the Covid lockdowns, is coming to an end. Benefit calculators only show an amount based on the rules on the day, even when known changes are coming. Your wife will be treated as a jobseeker on your joint claim.

For the rent element, if you don't have children then it reads like you will only get the 1 bedroom rent element. You can look here to see the maximum amount used in your UC calculations for your area. That isn't what they will pay, that is just the maximum used before earnings, savings, your self employed MIF etc are deducted.
https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/

Your non-EEA mother is not part of your claim and her wages and capital are not used in your Universal Credit calculations, unless she a joint tenant on your tenency agreement.

Even if they are not a joint tenant, there could be another deduction from your UC rent element if there is another adult at the propery.

Those on pre-settled don't have a claim to UK benefits if that is their only "right to reside". If your mother is claiming benefits as her sponsor (your wife) is a worker, I'm not sure how her being out of work for a long time would affect any benefits your mother might be claiming if her only right to reside (for benefits) then becomes the pre-settled status? If this is the case, you might want to ask an immigration advisor who also knows about UK benefits.
https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Your-Situati ... -to-reside
Thanks and appreciate your efforts,
Please assume
I already have settled status.
My parents or siblings never arrived in Uk.
married Aug 2014