ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Fbrlad
Aruba

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Fbrlad » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:52 am

No, no witness needed and they are not strict on the pose etc.. they will ask you to send them to a specific person not just to fbr office.

Fbrlad
Aruba

Post by Fbrlad » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:54 am

maishun wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:47 am
Fbrlad wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:11 am
maishun wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:03 am
I'm in trouble. I need to send the express to FBR again, but the express company asked me to fill in the recipient's phone number. Whose phone number should I fill in?
They are same to passport dept. Google it. Done it before and worked perfectly.

They never call them, its just a requirement if they couldnt deliver.

Why they asked you to redo the application?!?
They lost my father's birth certificate
Did you actually have to refill the whole fbr application or just send the birth cert? The good news is that you dont have to go back in queue - your application will commence them moment they receive the birth cert

Sooze

Post by Sooze » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:36 pm

Fbrlad wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:52 am
No, no witness needed and they are not strict on the pose etc.. they will ask you to send them to a specific person not just to fbr office.
Many thanks for your advice. :)

ripforreallldo
United States of America

Post by ripforreallldo » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:30 pm

no update on the website this morning.

maishun
China

Post by maishun » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:26 pm

Fbrlad wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:54 am
maishun wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:47 am
Fbrlad wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:11 am
maishun wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:03 am
I'm in trouble. I need to send the express to FBR again, but the express company asked me to fill in the recipient's phone number. Whose phone number should I fill in?
They are same to passport dept. Google it. Done it before and worked perfectly.

They never call them, its just a requirement if they couldnt deliver.

Why they asked you to redo the application?!?
They lost my father's birth certificate
Did you actually have to refill the whole fbr application or just send the birth cert? The good news is that you dont have to go back in queue - your application will commence them moment they receive the birth cert
Just send a birth certificate to FBR

Joeyfrdncl
Newly Registered

Post by Joeyfrdncl » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:54 am

Hi guys, been a bit of a lurker but haven't seen an exact answer to my q, I've heard from friends that there is a time limit once you have completed the online application form to send it off with the supporting documents. I paid my fee on 15/11/20 and have obviously not been able to send it off due to the FBR team not processing and saying don't send them, so would there be a time limit by which I will have to send them. I've tried to get on the FBR chat but had no luck, and the passport team didn't think so but the guy didn't seem that sure. Thanks in advance

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:02 am

Joeyfrdncl wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:54 am
Hi guys, been a bit of a lurker but haven't seen an exact answer to my q, I've heard from friends that there is a time limit once you have completed the online application form to send it off with the supporting documents. I paid my fee on 15/11/20 and have obviously not been able to send it off due to the FBR team not processing and saying don't send them, so would there be a time limit by which I will have to send them. I've tried to get on the FBR chat but had no luck, and the passport team didn't think so but the guy didn't seem that sure. Thanks in advance
Even if the FBR teams get back to full operations in the coming days or weeks, it's likely to be a year or more before they get to your application so sit tight and just check the DFA webpages every now and again for instructions regarding supporting documents. Your application is in the system and it's not going to expire.

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:21 pm

Just got through to the webchat, incidentally it was the first time I have tried (Feb 20 applicant) - got straight in and only waited for 15 minutes...

Asked for an update in relation to FBR and this was the answer
Unfortunately processing of FBR applications are still on Hold and updates on the resumption of this service will be available at (normal FBR page link) the passport service do not have access to the FBR application system once the service is resumed, all contact information for the fbr agents will be available on that webpage.
So, still the standard closed line for now - I do wonder if there is a panic internally in relation to the backlog of applicants with documents ready to send in (presumably all ready to go and arriving close together…)

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Post by Mr_Knight » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:11 pm

Joeyfrdncl wrote:
In my opinion if a business can recieve and process payment for a service then im sure they can recieve and if not process store the documents. Again, just my opinion.

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:38 pm

Just back from Ireland including a visit to the DFA in St Stephen's Green in Dublin - which astonishingly IS still open and receiving public enquiries!!! You go not to Number 80, but to Number 79 next door and was just going to ring the buzzer and expect someone to tell me to go away - but oh no, the doors opened and I went inside!!!!!!! ! Inside to the left is a small reception with a glass-partitioned window behind which they have an enquiry officer. To the left is a small round table with chairs and an ivory, 80s-looking landline telephone. If you dial 2000 you get through to a voicemail for the DFA. I left a message but they didn't call me back. The Enquiry Officer told me that they are planning on doing a phased reopening in Balbriggan towards the END of September to mid October. The FBR officers are apparently not allowed to handle documents from home - which is understandable. They were NOT AT ALL horrible and despite my numerous questions, he told me probably as much as was permissible. Pretty much everyone in Ireland is super cautious re: COVID, and everywhere you go you are asked to show proof of vaccination, particularly for sitting in cafés etc. In Starbucks in Limerick Colbert station they even asked for ID!!! Everywhere I went - Dublin. Limerick and Nenagh was the same. I had to laugh at Dublin airport at the flight gate, as this woman had a little boy who shrieked: "I want my Irish passport, mummy"! His thoughts were similar to mine!!! All in all a lovely country with lovely, beautiful scenery and lovely people and culture. I tell you, the two-year wait WILL be worth it, and I feel privileged to have the ancestry making me eligible for FBR. Do NOT get despondent - it WILL be worth it in the end.

Cheers,

One very happy and contented Flatcap - so glad to be travelling again :D

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:58 pm

Mr_Knight wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:11 pm
Joeyfrdncl wrote:
In my opinion if a business can recieve and process payment for a service then im sure they can recieve and if not process store the documents. Again, just my opinion.
The payment is processed automatically via a secure server and requires no human effort whatsoever whereas the process of FBR verification involves scrutinising and verifying documents, issued over a number of generations and under differing jurisdictions, and can only be done in the office due to data protection reasons. The DFA are storing documents sent to them. I have this in writing from Simon Coveney's office.

dolewhip
United States of America

Post by dolewhip » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:17 pm

Flatcap_Julius wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:38 pm
Just back from Ireland including a visit to the DFA in St Stephen's Green in Dublin - which astonishingly IS still open and receiving public enquiries!!! You go not to Number 80, but to Number 79 next door and was just going to ring the buzzer and expect someone to tell me to go away - but oh no, the doors opened and I went inside!!!!!!! ! Inside to the left is a small reception with a glass-partitioned window behind which they have an enquiry officer. To the left is a small round table with chairs and an ivory, 80s-looking landline telephone. If you dial 2000 you get through to a voicemail for the DFA. I left a message but they didn't call me back. The Enquiry Officer told me that they are planning on doing a phased reopening in Balbriggan towards the END of September to mid October. The FBR officers are apparently not allowed to handle documents from home - which is understandable. They were NOT AT ALL horrible and despite my numerous questions, he told me probably as much as was permissible. Pretty much everyone in Ireland is super cautious re: COVID, and everywhere you go you are asked to show proof of vaccination, particularly for sitting in cafés etc. In Starbucks in Limerick Colbert station they even asked for ID!!! Everywhere I went - Dublin. Limerick and Nenagh was the same. I had to laugh at Dublin airport at the flight gate, as this woman had a little boy who shrieked: "I want my Irish passport, mummy"! His thoughts were similar to mine!!! All in all a lovely country with lovely, beautiful scenery and lovely people and culture. I tell you, the two-year wait WILL be worth it, and I feel privileged to have the ancestry making me eligible for FBR. Do NOT get despondent - it WILL be worth it in the end.

Cheers,

Great update! Can’t wait to visit and have a similar experience myself one day.

Even as I move forward in the process (mailed my passport supporting docs last week), it’s easy to get antsy over things taking longer than they should.

For instance, I mailed my documents last Wednesday, 8/25, and they’ve yet to be delivered in Balbriggan.

That said, no matter how much longer it takes for the final payoff, it’ll be so worth it.

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:22 pm

dolewhip wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:17 pm
Flatcap_Julius wrote:

Cheers,

Great update! Can’t wait to visit and have a similar experience myself one day.

Even as I move forward in the process (mailed my passport supporting docs last week), it’s easy to get antsy over things taking longer than they should.

For instance, I mailed my documents last Wednesday, 8/25, and they’ve yet to be delivered in Balbriggan.

That said, no matter how much longer it takes for the final payoff, it’ll be so worth it.
Yes, I can totally understand the frustration at things dragging on with no update. Fortunately you are now approaching the point where your passport application will be uploaded onto a system enabling you to track its progress and get regular updates on its progress. From what I have gleaned the passport process is a lot more informative in terms of updates for the applicant- unlike the somewhat nebulous FBR side of things where for the most part people aren't really told anything at all. I think going to Ireland and seeing and experiencing certain things first hand has really helped me to better understand not only why things are being done that way, but also where it's all leading to at the end of the process. As someone who has always loved travelling I had really started to go a bit crazy, not having been anywhere for nearly 2 years. My few days in Ireland really helped to clear the mist and see that light at the end of the tunnel. You are nearly through it so be sure to hang on in there and have that celebratory Guinness handy!

Regards,

Flatcap

Airlake
Newly Registered

Post by Airlake » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:03 pm

I've been using the forum to see how applications have been progressing and found it helpful. So I'm posting my timeline

Application submitted: 19/10/2019
Documents received: 18/11/2019
Confirmation address email: 6/09/2021
Added to register email 6/09/2021

I responded as soon as I got the address confirmation email. They got back to me in a couple of hours saying I had been added to the register and it would take 6-8 weeks to receive the certificate.

Things are moving and I hope this helps people

snugglebug
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by snugglebug » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:20 pm

Flatcap_Julius wrote:

Cheers,

Haven't been on this forum for a while and just checked back today to see if there had been any further updates as there still didn't appear to be any movement on the DFA website. I was very pleased to see this update and that things are starting to move again. It's been a very long time waiting for them to resume processing and am pleased things are on the up.
Anyway I submitted my online application finally today and have printed off my form and got an appointment for the form to be witnessed by a local solicitor in a couple of weeks time. Then I will be sending them off as I feel confident the docs won't get lost in the system now, hopefully by the time i send them there will be an update that processing has resumed based on what you've said above, Flatcap. Nice to see everyone getting their FBR certificates now , congrats to those who have got through it, what a wait:)

DKCalifornia
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by DKCalifornia » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:23 pm

Despondent is the exact word for my feelings right now. Still nothing at all… June 2019 application and documents confirmed in Balbriggan.
Seeing everyone else in this (now 2years and 3 months) group now getting approvals, even if mail is slow to arrive, have me feeling more like this is never going to happen. Despondent- yep. Really just need the original documents back at this point and we can give up. Sigh.

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:24 am

snugglebug wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:20 pm
Flatcap_Julius wrote:

Cheers,

Haven't been on this forum for a while and just checked back today to see if there had been any further updates as there still didn't appear to be any movement on the DFA website. I was very pleased to see this update and that things are starting to move again. It's been a very long time waiting for them to resume processing and am pleased things are on the up.
Anyway I submitted my online application finally today and have printed off my form and got an appointment for the form to be witnessed by a local solicitor in a couple of weeks time. Then I will be sending them off as I feel confident the docs won't get lost in the system now, hopefully by the time i send them there will be an update that processing has resumed based on what you've said above, Flatcap. Nice to see everyone getting their FBR certificates now , congrats to those who have got through it, what a wait:)
Yes you will be 100% fine sending in the documents, Snugglebug. One important thing is to check that whoever is witnessing your form meets the requirements on the guidance notes, and that everything meets the requirements of the DFA. According to the guidance notes, the DFA can and do check on the authenticity of countersignatories which is why they require a special stamp / seal and / or a business card. Many notaries and solicitors require the client to engage in some level of informal chat / communications / conversation for x number of weeks prior to signature in order to cover the requirement of "being known to each other". I would personally recommend going through the list of requirements and ticking them off as you gather the documents and put them in the envelope. Make sure they are sent recorded or better still, Special Delivery.

Flatcap_Julius
BANNED

Post by Flatcap_Julius » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:36 am

Do not give up, DK. There is every chance that you are super close to hearing some good news. The issue is that you don't know it yet! It's that Wall of Silence that is the real killer and this must be difficult bear, having gone past the 2 year mark. One thing to bear in mind is that FBR processing is purportedly a complex process that even before COVID an application typically took 12-18 months to process. When COVID is taken into consideration, the delay remains plausible, although it is strange that others have had news despite having submitted their applications later - but then from the postings on this forum it is fairly plain to see that the DFA's "strict date order" needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. Some pieces of information on the DFA website are, by their own admission, somewhat incongruous with the actual state of affairs. With this in mind I would advise a strategic approach that goes something like this:

1) Set a "cut-off date" in your calendar. Something around 10th November would probably be about right, as by then your application will be seriously overdue and out of line with any reasonable expectation (although what is or is not reasonable is largely subject to interpretation), even taking COVID into consideration. The probability is that you will hear some good news before this date, however if you don't...

2) Contact the DFA via live chat or telephone and ask them for an update. Encapsulate the timescale discrepancy in your opening gambit, making it part of the very first thing you tell them, so that they can see that you have a valid point and are not just being hysterical like I was being at one point. Make sure to keep recordings / transcripts of all communications. See what they say. If they say they will look into it, get them to state a specific date or time frame by which you will have an update. If they don't get back to you within the stated time this will strengthen your case for if and when you have do the further steps...

3) Once all the initial general lines of communication have been exhausted I would suggest making a Freedom of Information request requiring them to state what documents they hold on your specific application and what stage your application is at.

4) You can raise a formal complaint. I believe this needs to be done in writing via a letter to Ireland, rather than email.

5) Ultimately you could write to Mr Michael D. Higgins, the President of Ireland. He officially resides in Ireland's version of the White House which is located in Phoenix Park, Dublin. Mr HIggins is an older gentleman - I believe around 80 years of age, and although his role is largely to act as a figurehead in a ceremonial capacity, he does technically have a lot of authority, however you would have to have been treated extremely unfairly by the DFA to warrant a letter to him. Provided you are considered, clear, correct, complete, concise and courteous in your communications with the DFA there is no reason for anything to go wrong. Remember, if it took up to 18 months before COVID it could very well take up to 27 - 30 months in total. With this in mind is is vital to proceed cautiously and gently through the process you decide on. The main purpose of it really is to give you something to do to lessen the sense of despair. Above all what you must NOT do is withdraw your application. The DFA could accede to any such request as it would be an easy way for them to knock one application out of the pile. Don't do it when you are so close! The DFA are claiming they have plans to ramp up capacity to pre-COVID levels by the end of this year. The guy I spoke to in Dublin also mentioned something about training sessions which I would guess is something to do with this. Above all hang on in there and keep your can of Guinness handy!

All the best to you!

Regards,

Flatcap

Jojo1904
Newly Registered

Post by Jojo1904 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:33 am

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster here. I’m a UK applicant from early January 2020. Up to now I’ve just had the confirmation of receipt of documents sent email and nothing else. I’ve probably still got a long wait ahead of me but I thought I would ask if anyone has been in a similar situation as me. When I did the application online I made the mistake of going off to print my application form straight away and when I went back to pay the page had timed out! I couldn’t get back in to pay so I called DFR (those were the days you could actually speak to someone!) and they reassured me I would receive an email with a link to pay. Well, we all know what happened, in March 2020 everything closed down and I have heard nothing back regarding payment let alone anything else. After all this delay of almost 20 months I don’t want this to delay it even further. I’m also nervous as my mother who is still living did not have an up to date passport, only an old one, does not drive so no licence for photographic evidence so I sent her old passport with a doctors letter saying she was registered with them, does anyone think this would be a problem? On top of all of that, I’ve since moved permanently to Italy with my Italian husband and because of Brexit I’ve had to apply for the permission to stay here in Italy because I don’t have my irish citizenship yet which means my address on the application has changed so it’s caused no end of hassle! I’m hoping by next year I will have my Irish passport but I’m not holding my breath! I’m watching all of your posts avidly desperate to see an early 2020 application result!

Muscat

Post by Muscat » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:05 am

Jojo1904 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:33 am
On top of all of that, I’ve since moved permanently to Italy with my Italian husband and because of Brexit I’ve had to apply for the permission to stay here in Italy because I don’t have my irish citizenship yet which means my address on the application has changed so it’s caused no end of hassle! I’m hoping by next year I will have my Irish passport but I’m not holding my breath! I’m watching all of your posts avidly desperate to see an early 2020 application result!
I feel your pain re. Brexit. I moved to France after submitting my FBR application in Dec 2020. Like you, I was obliged to apply for residency in France (which I did on the first day the website was up for applications) and I am still waiting for my appointment for fingerprinting etc with less than a month to go before the deadline to have a residency card in hand. I know it’s very likely they’ll extend the deadline to 1st Jan 2021, but I am worried daily about my lack of EU passport and Carte de Séjour. Border authorities are often not up to speed with the latest info from the Gouvernement. Luckily I still have a uk address so I’m going to keep it simple by having stuff sent there re FBR. I’m so sick of paperwork.

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:31 am

Jojo1904 wrote:
Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster here. I’m a UK applicant from early January 2020. Up to now I’ve just had the confirmation of receipt of documents sent email and nothing else. I’ve probably still got a long wait ahead of me but I thought I would ask if anyone has been in a similar situation as me. When I did the application online I made the mistake of going off to print my application form straight away and when I went back to pay the page had timed out! I couldn’t get back in to pay so I called DFR (those were the days you could actually speak to someone!) and they reassured me I would receive an email with a link to pay. Well, we all know what happened, in March 2020 everything closed down and I have heard nothing back regarding payment let alone anything else. After all this delay of almost 20 months I don’t want this to delay it even further. I’m also nervous as my mother who is still living did not have an up to date passport, only an old one, does not drive so no licence for photographic evidence so I sent her old passport with a doctors letter saying she was registered with them, does anyone think this would be a problem? On top of all of that, I’ve since moved permanently to Italy with my Italian husband and because of Brexit I’ve had to apply for the permission to stay here in Italy because I don’t have my irish citizenship yet which means my address on the application has changed so it’s caused no end of hassle! I’m hoping by next year I will have my Irish passport but I’m not holding my breath! I’m watching all of your posts avidly desperate to see an early 2020 application result!
Hi Jojo, you would probably be fine to just do another application online and use that application number when you send them off after you've paid.

Jojo1904
Newly Registered

Post by Jojo1904 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:00 pm

Post by Muscat » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:05 am

Jojo1904 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:33 am
On top of all of that, I’ve since moved permanently to Italy with my Italian husband and because of Brexit I’ve had to apply for the permission to stay here in Italy because I don’t have my irish citizenship yet which means my address on the application has changed so it’s caused no end of hassle! I’m hoping by next year I will have my Irish passport but I’m not holding my breath! I’m watching all of your posts avidly desperate to see an early 2020 application result!
I feel your pain re. Brexit. I moved to France after submitting my FBR application in Dec 2020. Like you, I was obliged to apply for residency in France (which I did on the first day the website was up for applications) and I am still waiting for my appointment for fingerprinting etc with less than a month to go before the deadline to have a residency card in hand. I know it’s very likely they’ll extend the deadline to 1st Jan 2021, but I am worried daily about my lack of EU passport and Carte de Séjour. Border authorities are often not up to speed with the latest info from the Gouvernement. Luckily I still have a uk address so I’m going to keep it simple by having stuff sent there re FBR. I’m so sick of paperwork.

Oh the paperwork is torturous Muscat, I’m imagining that France is as bureaucratic as Italy? My timeline for the carta di Soggiorno hasn’t been too bad tbh. You were lucky enough to get out before the Brexit deadline whereas after being stuck in Capri for 10 months last year when Covid closed down all travel, I travelled back to Scotland in the November with the intention to come back in December (we had Housesitters looking after our home and had to get back) and we then got stuck in Scotland when it went into another lockdown. We then couldn’t travel back to Italy until June of this year so I started the residency process then. I tried to get residency last year and was erroneously told by the local records office here that I couldn’t be resident as we weren’t married and I wasn’t employed. That meant I wasn’t covered under the Withdrawal Agreement as I wasn’t legally resident before end December. I’ve already got my residency here now in the Comune di Capri which took just under 2 months to do but the hardest part was the Permesso/Carta di Soggiorno which I’ve had two appointments for and just waiting on the card now. They’ve already done my fingerprints at the original interview at the Questura (police) headquarters though, have you done all your paperwork and it’s just fingerprints you’re waiting on? Have you chased them up yet? There’s an organisation that may be able to help if you’re having problems with the delay https://www.iom.int/countries/france
but if you need their help you need to do it fast as the funding from the uk stops at the end of this month. Typically here in Italy it is taking around 2-3 months for uk nationals to receive their carta but it is not compulsory for you to have, it just makes travel easier. Do you actually have residency at your local town hall and it’s just your carta di Soggiorno you are waiting on because if so I wouldn’t worry. As long as you have your receipt that the police gave you for the initial application then you are legal! I know a few people who have travelled without having their carta and they have told border force that they are resident (showing their identity cards) so that they do not stamp their passport.

Jojo1904
Newly Registered

Post by Jojo1904 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:02 pm

jamiepompey wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:31 am
Jojo1904 wrote:
Hi Jojo, you would probably be fine to just do another application online and use that application number when you send them off after you've paid.
I’ve already sent off everything January 2020 though, only payment was missing so I would be scared to do another application which would put me back at the end of the queue!

Muscat

Post by Muscat » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:37 pm

Just thought it worth sharing that someone in another group (relating to French residency) is based in Dublin and apparently there was a large citizenship ceremony recently, so things are certainly moving along :)

Muscat

Post by Muscat » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:59 pm

Jojo1904 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:00 pm
Oh the paperwork is torturous Muscat, I’m imagining that France is as bureaucratic as Italy? My timeline for the carta di Soggiorno hasn’t been too bad tbh. You were lucky enough to get out before the Brexit deadline whereas after being stuck in Capri for 10 months last year when Covid closed down all travel, I travelled back to Scotland in the November with the intention to come back in December (we had Housesitters looking after our home and had to get back) and we then got stuck in Scotland when it went into another lockdown. We then couldn’t travel back to Italy until June of this year so I started the residency process then. I tried to get residency last year and was erroneously told by the local records office here that I couldn’t be resident as we weren’t married and I wasn’t employed. That meant I wasn’t covered under the Withdrawal Agreement as I wasn’t legally resident before end December. I’ve already got my residency here now in the Comune di Capri which took just under 2 months to do but the hardest part was the Permesso/Carta di Soggiorno which I’ve had two appointments for and just waiting on the card now. They’ve already done my fingerprints at the original interview at the Questura (police) headquarters though, have you done all your paperwork and it’s just fingerprints you’re waiting on? Have you chased them up yet? There’s an organisation that may be able to help if you’re having problems with the delay https://www.iom.int/countries/france
but if you need their help you need to do it fast as the funding from the uk stops at the end of this month. Typically here in Italy it is taking around 2-3 months for uk nationals to receive their carta but it is not compulsory for you to have, it just makes travel easier. Do you actually have residency at your local town hall and it’s just your carta di Soggiorno you are waiting on because if so I wouldn’t worry. As long as you have your receipt that the police gave you for the initial application then you are legal! I know a few people who have travelled without having their carta and they have told border force that they are resident (showing their identity cards) so that they do not stamp their passport.
We were in our holiday home in France when my husband was diagnosed with cancer in March 2020, so we had to stay here because the nhs stopped investigating his illness due to covid. As he is French I’ve applied through marriage to a French citizen which gives me a 10 year card (although many people are being given the 5 year card erroneously) and I believe it’s much easier from the paperwork side of things. but in general French paperwork is a nightmare and the inefficiency in the civil service is staggering. I’ve done an online application and all I’ve had is an acknowledgment. I’m still waiting for the appointment to bring photos and do fingerprints, then they send it in the post, apparently. I contacted one of the agencies that help but they weren’t interested in my case, I think they’re dealing with old people who can’t manage everything online. There’s a lot of passport stamping going on but as we can’t travel it’s not an issue for now, but pre-covid I used to travel for work and I need the space in my passport for visas. I’ll use my Irish passport for work when I get it (certainly for work in Europe). Actually one of our last work trips was to Gaeta (a most bizarre work experience!) and we took a holiday afterwards in Ercolano etc and could see Capri from the apartment window. Such a lovely place but the driving is shockingly bad!