ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in the UK test - how long to prepare for it?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

gini852

Life in the UK test - how long to prepare for it?

Post by gini852 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:22 am

Hello all, I've heard that the Life In the UK test can be quite tough as they often ask questions that even born and bred Brits don't know. Has anyone here done the test recently and do you find this to be true? If so, how long would you recommend preparing/studying for it before actually going for the test?

Also, on the official booking site, they offer a 3-book package deal which includes 1) A Guide for New Residents, 2) the Official Study Guide and 3) practice test book. Do we really need the first 2 books in order to pass the test, or is the testing material really only in the first book and the second is helpful but not really necessary for passing the test?

Lastly, is there a significant gap between date we book the test and test date, or could we essentially book today and find a slot for the next few weeks and won't have to wait for months?

I'd read the FAQ thread and didn't see these questions mentioned there so hopefully someone here can offer some insights. Many thanks!

camary2
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Life in the UK test - how long to prepare for it?

Post by camary2 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:05 pm

I booked my test on 29/01/21 and took the test in Croydon on 01/03/21- if I remember correctly there were some earlier slots, but I wanted to give myself 1 month to study.

I am a native English speaker and have lived in the UK for +35 years & I did study for this (I didn’t want the hassle of re-taking & frankly would have been embarrassed if I failed as everyone said it was “a joke”) - I didn’t put in too much effort, but I am pleased I did study as I think it would be a toss up if most of my British friends and family would pass if they took it off the hoof- & it would be down to luck of the draw as to the questions. I may have just squeaked in a pass if I did not study, but it wasn’t worth the hassle of a fail.

I only purchased the one book - Life in the United Kingdom: A Guide for New Residents - and started to read it after I booked my test-I read it through cover to cover once and then played sections of it on speakers via audio books every once in a while whilst cleaning the house, etc as a lazy way for the info to sink in. I also made myself a few flash cards (was still on furlough so had time) to remember some key dates, names & facts that wouldn’t sink in and went through these with my husband a few times. There is an excellent free website that I found https://lifeintheuktestweb.co.uk -it has 40 interactive tests & I would say these are virtually identical to the real thing - they only take about 5 mins each (there is a timer)- & if you can pass each of these tests (18/24 correct) you will be absolutely fine. Remember your questions will be random on the real test, so it’s ok to get 1 or 2 questions wrong on each practice test, but if you fail any of these, wait awhile & do them again - I went through these twice (I failed 3 first time I took these & none on second pass so left it at that)

My actual questions were a mixture of the very easy (What is the capital of Wales?) , average (Who hid in oak tree? Bonny Prince Charlie) to a bit more tricky - How many Members of Scottish Parliament are there? (How many of your friends actually know this off the top of their head?) What year were women given the Right to Vote at the same age as men? - tricky as many people know 1918 for Suffrage -but voting rights at the same age as men was not until 1928- not as many people know this AND both these dates were options for the answers!

Hope this helps!

gini852

Post by gini852 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:44 pm

This was very helpful. Thank you! Definitely planning on studying for it and it's essentially a question of how long I ought to budget for it. Thanks for all your insights - really helped!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:31 pm

My recommendation:

https://lifeintheuktestweb.co.uk/exams/

Do the 16 EXAMS as the link pasted above. Note “exams” not “tests.” The same website has tests also but do the exams. You will pass the test as long you do all the exams at home and are perfect in scoring 24/24 at home. No need to do anything else. You can do that in less than a week. I passed mine in 3 days.

PS: Tried and tested on around 50 people and all passed.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

gini852

Post by gini852 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:07 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:31 pm
My recommendation:

Do the 16 EXAMS as the link pasted above. Note “exams” not “tests.” The same website has tests also but do the exams. You will pass the test as long you do all the exams at home and are perfect in scoring 24/24 at home. No need to do anything else. You can do that in less than a week. I passed mine in 3 days.

Oh, this reminds me a bit of the method that I've used to pass theory driving tests in other countries. Will definitely look into it - thank you so much!

ItalianPilot
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by ItalianPilot » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:34 am

YouTube, there is a guy with "FastTrack" videos who is such a legend, lots of great tips and I like him as he gives you some extra information too which is always nice as subjects are generally interesting.

gini852

Post by gini852 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:50 am

CULLINAN wrote:
My recommendation:

Hi Culllinan, I followed your tip and spent a week prepping for the LIUK test from start to finish. Passed without issues so wanted to say a HUGE thank you for helping me out with such a great tip! This was such a breeze compared to having to study the entire book!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:57 pm

gini852 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:50 am
CULLINAN wrote:
My recommendation:

Hi Culllinan, I followed your tip and spent a week prepping for the LIUK test from start to finish. Passed without issues so wanted to say a HUGE thank you for helping me out with such a great tip! This was such a breeze compared to having to study the entire book!
Thank you for letting us know. Yes these 16 exams are enough to pass LIUK. Nothing more required. Best wishes.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

gini852

Post by gini852 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:49 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:57 pm
gini852 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:50 am
CULLINAN wrote:
My recommendation:

Thank you for letting us know. Yes these 16 exams are enough to pass LIUK. Nothing more required. Best wishes.
If you're part of the team running that website, just FYI the test itself is getting harder - there were hardly any easy/"giveaway" questions, and there were 3 questions that weren't in the 16 exams, including "where is Skara Brae?" (Scotland) and "at what age can one drive a car OR a motorcycle in the UK?" - this one is a bit of a trick question so it's good to think it over. Perhaps something you guys could add to the next exam you put up :)

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:55 pm

All 24 questions have never been from the 16 exams. 21/22 questions are always which is enough to pass ;)
Thanks for the feedback though.

xxzeroxx
Newly Registered

Post by xxzeroxx » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:22 am

Hey CULLINAN, just wanted to let you know that I passed my test using your advise below. I was using the official LITUK online subscription when I failed my first test. I studied for 2 days using the website below making sure I got 24/24 for all 16 exams and passed just yesterday! All questions I studied came on the test!

Thank you!!!!!

CULLINAN wrote:
My recommendation:

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:44 pm

xxzeroxx wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:22 am
Hey CULLINAN, just wanted to let you know that I passed my test using your advise below. I was using the official LITUK online subscription when I failed my first test. I studied for 2 days using the website below making sure I got 24/24 for all 16 exams and passed just yesterday! All questions I studied came on the test!

Thank you!!!!!

CULLINAN wrote:
My recommendation:

Best wishes!!