ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI Application Experience

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

OCI Application Experience

Post by dontringthebell » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:53 pm

I recently (17th August, 2021) applied for OCI for self, wife and minor daughter at London - Goswell VFS centre.

Relationship with Root Indian
  • For Self - By Birth
  • For Wife - By Birth
  • For Daughter - By Registration & held indian passport prior to registration as British Citizen.
Utilities near by:
  • Post Office near moorgate underground station that opens 8:00 am, one stop before or after from barbican depending which side you travelling from.
  • Mail Boxes etc [name of shop near barbican station on route to goswell road centre] photocopy, internet access, scanning, self addressed envelopes etc available, extremely helpful guy. opens 8:00 am
  • Bus 4, 56 from next to Barbican station drop you next to goswell road centre
Experience at the centre:
  • Queue starts really early around 7:30 am, even though centre does not open until 8:30. Their are people holding places for others
  • No shelter around, if its raining please carry an umbrella, under no circumstances they allow you in.
  • You can submit multiple applications for self and family members on their behalf, infact at the moment they are only allowing 1 person per party.
  • The guy at the reception would check your appointment letter, photograph and give you a couple of forms (2 declarations) & checklist along with token number.
  • Kindly print as many copies of the appointment letter as the number of application, one per application is to be attached with the documents.
  • Photocopier present at the centre, 50p per copy.
  • Staff are polite, and efficient, start on time and very efficient and helpful. I noticed, even if you have issues with your application, they would try their best to assist you, else refer to their senior who may offer next day appointment in case of error or incomplete application. They simply scribble on your appointment page and send it to you.
  • Dx envelopes price £12 each. Since, you need 2 per application, better to buy royal mail special delivery with 100gms (saves you £4.5 per envelope/£9 per application).
  • When you upload documents, there are 8 tags/fields as follows: 1. CURRENT PASSPORT 2. EMPLOYMENT/ WORK LETTER 3. INDIAN VISA 4. PIO CARD 5. SPOUSE OCI CARD 6. RELATIONSHIP CERTIFICATE 7. MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE 8. PREVIOUS INDIAN PASSPORT OF SELF; each one of them does not applies to all, similarly you might have documents to upload not mentioned in the list above, also if you still need to upload more documents, simply bundle together as many until the size of the bundled pdf is less than 1 MB.
  • For unemployed/housewife, 3 month bank statement is sufficient.
  • I carried two photographs for my applications, they only took one each.
Documents submitted on the day were as follows
  • For self Naturalisation Certificate, Surender Certificate & Marriage Certificate
  • For wife Naturalisation Certificate, Surender Certificate
  • For daughter Registration Certificate, Birth Certificate, Surender Certificate
No acknowledgement recieved however, documents were returned on 20th August 2021 in excellent condition.

Thanks to all for sharing! Goodluck & Godspeed to all your applications.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Re: OCI Application Experience

Post by dontringthebell » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:27 pm

Also, along with First & Last page of last Indian Passport, one needs to upload any observation pages, i.e., name change, spouse name added etc.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:46 pm

Congratulations and thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Very useful.

What did you submit for Relationship Certificate? It comes up as birth certificate.

I am applying for myself and my birth certificate issued in India does not have my name on it! Yes, that's right. So I don't think submitting my birth certificate is an option.

Will any other document suffice? Is this mandatory? What alternate document can I submit in lieu of my birth certificate?

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:40 am

Since all three of us had direct claim to OCI as in we all held indian passport prior to acquiring british citizenship, Last Indian passport was sufficient.Let me share the list of documents I uploaded for each one of us corresponding to the given fields. The list below is everything I uploaded for our applications and nothing more.

Self
1Current Passport British Passport
2 Employment Letter Old Contract (as unemployed now)
3 Indian Visa Naturalisation Certificate
4 PIO Card Surrender Certificate
5 Spouse PIO Card Last three month bank statement.
6 Relationship Certificate Council Tax Bill
7 Marriage Certificate Marriage Certificate
8 Previous Indian Passport Old Indian Passport (Front Back & Observation page)
*I did attach a physical addendum to my application - certifying the situation around my unemployment.

Wife
2 Employment Letter Letter from the employer
5 Spouse PIO Card Nothing

Daughter
2 Employment Letter Parents Passport
3 Indian Visa Registration Certificate
5 Spouse PIO Card Council Tax Bill
6 Relationship Certificate UK Birth Certificate
7 Marriage Certificate Parents Marriage Certificate

Hope I answered in time for your application.

Note: You can start a new application as many number of times, if you get it wrong just start all over, every time you start a new application, a new barcode (read file number) is generated and other files are not considered.

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:01 pm

dontringthebell wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:40 am
Since all three of us had direct claim to OCI as in we all held indian passport prior to acquiring british citizenship, Last Indian passport was sufficient.Let me share the list of documents I uploaded for each one of us corresponding to the given fields. The list below is everything I uploaded for our applications and nothing more.

Self
*I did attach a physical addendum to my application - certifying the situation around my unemployment.

Wife

Daughter

Note: You can start a new application as many number of times, if you get it wrong just start all over, every time you start a new application, a new barcode (read file number) is generated and other files are not considered.
Thank you for the swift response! Very useful.

Couple of more questions:

1) Did you upload supporting docs as is without self-attestation? and then self-attest the supporting docs when you handed them in person?
2) Was it the same set of docs that you uploaded and then handed in person? or did you add any additional documentation in-person?
My appointment is only week after next, so still have time. Thank you.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:19 pm

1) Did you upload supporting docs as is without self-attestation? and then self-attest the supporting docs when you handed them in person? I did not attest either, neither is it required and nor was I asked.
2) Was it the same set of docs that you uploaded and then handed in person? I submitted photocopies of all the documents uploaded as list above and submitted originals as mentioned in my first post.
Original Documents submitted on the day were as follows
  • For self Naturalisation Certificate, Surender Certificate & Marriage Certificate
  • For daughter Registration Certificate, Birth Certificate, Surender Certificate
or did you add any additional documentation in-person? only for myself I did attach an addendum to my application - certifying the situation around my unemployment.

Good Luck for your application.

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:48 am

dontringthebell wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:19 pm
1) Did you upload supporting docs as is without self-attestation? and then self-attest the supporting docs when you handed them in person? I did not attest either, neither is it required and nor was I asked.
2) Was it the same set of docs that you uploaded and then handed in person? I submitted photocopies of all the documents uploaded as list above and submitted originals as mentioned in my first post.
Original Documents submitted on the day were as follows
or did you add any additional documentation in-person? only for myself I did attach an addendum to my application - certifying the situation around my unemployment.

Good Luck for your application.
Thanks! The process was different here at Edinburgh where they did not ask or even take any of the original documentation that I had carried with me. They just took my original British passport and photocopy of the document set that I had uploaded online.

Fairly straightforward and was done within 10 mins.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:15 am

Even better!

as1501
Newly Registered

Post by as1501 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:23 pm

@dontingthebell, Couple of questions please. Thanks!

1. Are the RM self addressed envelopes needed to be Cardboard A4 types or Polyethene ones, or any would do? I am not sure of size of OCI which we receive.

2. For minor child, is copy of signature /thumb print needed to be uploaded for minor child?

"Signature/Thumb impression should be confined to the prescribed box. In case of minor applicants, parents should NOT sign in the box."

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:46 am

as1501 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:23 pm

1. Are the RM self addressed envelopes needed to be Cardboard A4 types or Polyethene ones, or any would do? I am not sure of size of OCI which we receive. I submitted Grey Polybag ones, they insert a cardboard from their end while returning documents only. Nothing inserted when OCI card is delivered.

2. For minor child, is copy of signature /thumb print needed to be uploaded for minor child? My daughter, could write her name so she wrote in cursive and it was accepted. If you child hasn't yet learnt to write properly, you may take a thumb impression.

"Signature/Thumb impression should be confined to the prescribed box. In case of minor applicants, parents should NOT sign in the box."

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:56 am

as1501 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:23 pm

1. Are the RM self addressed envelopes needed to be Cardboard A4 types or Polyethene ones, or any would do? I am not sure of size of OCI which we receive. OCI is like a Passport booklet. you may google some specimen

2. For minor child, is copy of signature /thumb print needed to be uploaded for minor child?

as1501
Newly Registered

Post by as1501 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:17 am

Thanks a lot!

cp24
Newly Registered

Post by cp24 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:52 pm

hie, I have one question regarding Birth Certificate of Minor. My Daughter is UK born(2021) and holds British birth certificate.

Did you get Birth Certificate Apostilled ? If yes, then how and where did you get it?

Thanks.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:24 pm

My daughter though born in UK but was first registered as an Indian citizen and also held Indian passport, hence she had direct claim to OCI.

For foreign born that never held Indian passport or citizenship, birth certificate needs to be apostilled. The service is similar to notary and readily available online or in-person, you may google a service provider near you.

aksh46
Newly Registered

Post by aksh46 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:07 pm

My experience on Minor OCI applications

Family status:
1) Father: British citizen with an OCI
2) Mother: Indian Passport with ILR
3) Child (1.5 years): British Citizen my birth

Documents uploaded and Physical documents submitted:
1) Child's passport
2) Child's birth certificate
3) Father's passport
4) Father's OCI
5) Father driving license (Address proof)
6) Father's utility for a month (Address proof)
7) Mother's passport (Front and Back)
8) Mother's ILR
9) Marriage certificate (Indian)

Considerations while filling the form online:

1) Photos and thumb signature
- Based on previous experience I prefer to take photos from experts. Thus i have used Snappy Snaps.
- Although VFS is lineant with photos for minors
2) Declaration
- No need to take thumb impression for the child.
- You as parents, both mother and father to sign the section for minor applicants.
- Many people in this forum have confused to take the thumb impression of the child on the form. But its not required.
3) Documents uploaded (first pass before I visited the VFS)
- Child's passport
- Child's birth certificate
- Father's OCI
- Marriage certificate
As for the above documents, there is a clearly mention category for each.

VIsit to VFS Goswell:

1) Appointment at 9.30, a token was provided
2) I was called after 1.30 hrs. Keep 2-3hrs with you for appointment
3) At the entrace they give you self undertaking document
3) VFS lady was nice, looked all the documents
4) She checked physical documents, signatures and validated with whats uploaded on the system. Lady asked to upload the other remaining documents under any category. She said it doesnt matter which category you use to upload the document. And ask to upload the document before the end of the day.

Happy to answer any questions

skg2508
Newly Registered

Post by skg2508 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:00 pm

Hi, what background color photos did you submit? I am bit confused if plain white is acceptable.

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:05 pm

skg2508 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:00 pm
Hi, what background color photos did you submit? I am bit confused if plain white is acceptable.
I used photo with plain white background. Didn't face any issues.

bookerw100
Member of Standing

Post by bookerw100 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:02 am

Can I use the contract for my current employment which was signed 2 years ago but I am still with the same company or do I need a fresh letter?

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:57 am

bookerw100 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:02 am
Can I use the contract for my current employment which was signed 2 years ago but I am still with the same company or do I need a fresh letter?

A fresh letter is always better, it should carry details of your employment.

N_W_G
Newly Registered

Post by N_W_G » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:21 am

dontringthebell wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:40 am

Self

Wife

Daughter

Hi dontringthebell - just wanted to say another thank you for this post and your other posts. Applied for my minor son's OCI using your advice and they accepted the application. Thanks!

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:27 am

Glad it was helpful.

abhaygupta17
Newly Registered
India

Post by abhaygupta17 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:53 pm

Dear @dontringthebell et al - thank you for this helpful thread explaining your experience for the OCI appointment day. I've couple of question for earlier phases though hoping you may provide some clarifications on these -

1) I've applied for British passports 10 days back and still don't have those at hand? Can i still book an OCI appointment in advance to save time as there seems to be a lead time of 6 weeks for next appointment mostly?

2) Since OCI application and the HCI London appointment form both asks for the passport info (which I assume is the British passport) - is there a way to book the dates without real passport no. but using passport application ref numbers or any other ids etc

3) My spouse is non-working, what should I do w.r.t employer letter for her OCI application - would a self signed affidavit suffice for this requirement please?

I appreciate if you can let me know your views on this.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:57 pm

abhaygupta17 wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:53 pm
Dear @dontringthebell et al - thank you for this helpful thread explaining your experience for the OCI appointment day. I've couple of question for earlier phases though hoping you may provide some clarifications on these -

1) I've applied for British passports 10 days back and still don't have those at hand? Can i still book an OCI appointment in advance to save time as there seems to be a lead time of 6 weeks for next appointment mostly? You need British Passport number to make the application. Also, surrender certificate is a must for OCI application. You may book appointment for Surrender of Indian Passport instead, once you obtain your passport then you may book OCI for a later date

2) Since OCI application and the HCI London appointment form both asks for the passport info (which I assume is the British passport) - is there a way to book the dates without real passport no. but using passport application ref numbers or any other ids etcNo same as above

3) My spouse is non-working, what should I do w.r.t employer letter for her OCI application - would a self signed affidavit suffice for this requirement please? At the time of my own application I was not working, you may choose house wife / house husband etc. Yes she may write on A4 sheet conditions around her employment. Basically certifying she isnt employed.

Format of the letter I attached. You may add further information if she has worked in the past.

To Whom It May Concern:

This is to certify that I, XXXX YYYY ZZZZ, have been unemployed and voluntarily out of work since [enter date]. I’ve helped my husband as a homemaker.

I have not undertaken any further work in any capacity that’s generated any income, since [enter date]. Henceforth I have uploaded last three months bank statements as well as provided with the last contract I worked under until [enter date]. I hope the information provided would be sufficient for you to consider my application for Overseas Citizenship of India.

I do hereby solemnly affirm that all information furnished along with my application is to the best of my knowledge and I stand by it.

I hope for your kind consideration for the above,

Thanks in advance,

Yours truly,

[XXXX YYYY ZZZZ ]
[Address]
[Phone Number]
[Mobile Number]

abhaygupta17
Newly Registered
India

Post by abhaygupta17 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:33 pm

dontringthebell wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:57 pm
abhaygupta17 wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:53 pm

1) I've applied for British passports 10 days back and still don't have those at hand? Can i still book an OCI appointment in advance to save time as there seems to be a lead time of 6 weeks for next appointment mostly? You need British Passport number to make the application. Also, surrender certificate is a must for OCI application. You may book appointment for Surrender of Indian Passport instead, once you obtain your passport then you may book OCI for a later date

2) Since OCI application and the HCI London appointment form both asks for the passport info (which I assume is the British passport) - is there a way to book the dates without real passport no. but using passport application ref numbers or any other ids etcNo same as above

3) My spouse is non-working, what should I do w.r.t employer letter for her OCI application - would a self signed affidavit suffice for this requirement please? At the time of my own application I was not working, you may choose house wife / house husband etc. Yes she may write on A4 sheet conditions around her employment. Basically certifying she isnt employed.

Format of the letter I attached. You may add further information if she has worked in the past.

To Whom It May Concern:

This is to certify that I, XXXX YYYY ZZZZ, have been unemployed and voluntarily out of work since [enter date]. I’ve helped my husband as a homemaker.

I have not undertaken any further work in any capacity that’s generated any income, since [enter date]. Henceforth I have uploaded last three months bank statements as well as provided with the last contract I worked under until [enter date]. I hope the information provided would be sufficient for you to consider my application for Overseas Citizenship of India.

I do hereby solemnly affirm that all information furnished along with my application is to the best of my knowledge and I stand by it.

I hope for your kind consideration for the above,

Thanks in advance,

Yours truly,

[XXXX YYYY ZZZZ ]
[Address]
[Phone Number]
[Mobile Number]

Thanks a lot dontringthebell for quick and clear responses! I'll follow your advice for OCI appointment.

Since my wife never worked and always have been a house wife, i think only last 3 months bank statement will suffice. I'll get a self attested letter drafted in this format though explaining this, thanks!

imab

Post by imab » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:54 am

Many Thanks for sharing your experience in such detail - very helpful. I replicated what you did for minor OCI document upload. 'Previous Indian Passport' category is perhaps now called 'Indian Origin Proof'.

For address proof, I uploaded council tax + parents driving license in 1 PDF < 1MB, just to be safe. I assume too many documents is not a problem?

Next month at VFS Goswell, I will request in person collection of the original supporting documents based on recent experience with HMPO and HCI. Do you know if this is allowed?