ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Eu Settlement deadline: Late apply

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Davidfami
Newly Registered

Eu Settlement deadline: Late apply

Post by Davidfami » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:19 pm

Hi, I have a Greece passport a moved to the UK three ago. My wife has a Greece settlement card but holds only a non-EU passport. I want to apply for my parents in law (wife parents) settlement visa on my wife behalf. I already missed the 30 June as parents–in–law had some underlying medical conditions. They are now fully vaccinated. I am wondering, is it possible to apply for them now? If not, can I apply through the Surinder sing route?

Thanks

Davidfami
Newly Registered

Re: Eu Settlement deadline: Late apply

Post by Davidfami » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:35 am

Any expert who knows about such a complex situation.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:28 pm

You moved to the UK three WHAT ago? (Years, months, weeks?) Skipped that in your original message.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Davidfami
Newly Registered

Post by Davidfami » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:35 pm

sorry. 3 years ago.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:55 pm

Provided you got married before 31st December 2020 and that you provide proof of your in laws financial dependency on yourself, then yes, they can still apply.

Has your wife moved with you or is she still in Greece?

Surinder Singh does not apply in your case. That is for EU nationals having exercised treaty rights in another EU country and then returning to their home country, which is not the case you describe here.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

a.s.b.o
- thin ice -

Post by a.s.b.o » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:31 am

kamoe wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:55 pm
Provided you got married before 31st December 2020 and that you provide proof of your in laws financial dependency on yourself, then yes, they can still apply.
isn't financial dependency assumed and therefore requires no proof?

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:32 am

a.s.b.o wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:31 am
kamoe wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:55 pm
isn't financial dependency assumed and therefore requires no proof?
There was a deadline for that of June 30th 2021.
After that date, financial dependency is no longer assumed.

Davidfami
Newly Registered

Post by Davidfami » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:54 pm

Many thanks for your response. The wife is in the UK with kids. But how to prove the financial dependency. We sent money but it is not regular. I have found some money transfer slips. So I do not know if that would be acceptable. If I knew I could save those. But normally people retain these kinds of receipts until the money has been cleared. Afterwards, these docs do not carry any value and become worthless papers.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:03 pm

Davidfami wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:54 pm
Many thanks for your response. The wife is in the UK with kids. But how to prove the financial dependency. We sent money but it is not regular. I have found some money transfer slips. So I do not know if that would be acceptable. If I knew I could save those. But normally people retain these kinds of receipts until the money has been cleared. Afterwards, these docs do not carry any value and become worthless papers.
Has your wife not applied for pre settled status? Asking as you said she only has Greek residence card.

Are your in laws financially dependent on you?

a.s.b.o
- thin ice -

Post by a.s.b.o » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:01 pm

kamoe wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:32 am
There was a deadline for that of June 30th 2021.
After that date, financial dependency is no longer assumed.
I see. It is good we applied for EUSS FP on behalf of my mother in law before that cut-off date.

Davidfami
Newly Registered

Post by Davidfami » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:59 pm

She has the UK resident permit expiring by 2024 as a family member- UK residence.

Davidfami
Newly Registered

Post by Davidfami » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:08 pm

The wife has the UK resident permit expiring by 2024 as a family member- UK residence.

How many months of financial dependency to be proved?

The mother in law had a genuine reason, she had her gallbladder removed just before the coronavirus. The doctor also said she may had liver cancer and we did a lot of tests. Then coronavirus hit and they were quite protective. Where there is a life and death kind of situation then a thing like a visa is the last thing to think about.

Both mother/father in-laws are fully vaccinated two weeks ago. Mother in law tests results showed that liver function was fine. The father in law also had an eye operation in July this year. We have all the medical records etc to prove all that I have just said.

The reason I provided this context is wondering would they consider these circumstances as to why we are applying after 30th Jun?

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:22 pm

Davidfami wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:59 pm
She has the UK resident permit expiring by 2024 as a family member- UK residence.
I'm afraid you are not answering the question. Has she or has she not applied for the settlement scheme? Has she been granted Pre-Settled Status? Is that what you mean with "UK resident permit"?

All non-Eu family members of EU nationals need to apply for the settlement scheme regardless of whether they had the previously EU-issued residence card. If she hasn't applied, she's already late!

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:26 pm

Davidfami wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:08 pm
The wife has the UK resident permit expiring by 2024 as a family member- UK residence.

The mother in law had a genuine reason, she had her gallbladder removed just before the coronavirus. The doctor also said she may had liver cancer and we did a lot of tests. Then coronavirus hit and they were quite protective. Where there is a life and death kind of situation then a thing like a visa is the last thing to think about.

Both mother/father in-laws are fully vaccinated two weeks ago. Mother in law tests results showed that liver function was fine. The father in law also had an eye operation in July this year. We have all the medical records etc to prove all that I have just said.

The reason I provided this context is wondering would they consider these circumstances as to why we are applying after 30th Jun?
Again, I'm afraid you are not answering the question. I'm not asking why they didn't apply before the deadline, I'm asking if they are financially dependent on you.

This is not to annoy you but to give you as much factual information as possible, and to prepare you for the kind of enquiry your application will face.

Davidfami
Newly Registered

Post by Davidfami » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:39 pm

I thought I already explained that. I sent money but have very few receipts. They also live in my home back country.

Davidfami
Newly Registered

Post by Davidfami » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:45 pm

She has issued her pre-settled approval letter on 30th April 2021.

Davidfami
Newly Registered

Post by Davidfami » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:48 pm

kamoe wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:26 pm
Davidfami wrote:

Again, I'm afraid you are not answering the question. I'm not asking why they didn't apply before the deadline, I'm asking if they are financially dependent on you.

This is not to annoy you but to give you as much factual information as possible, and to prepare you for the kind of enquiry your application will face.
Will the visa officer would not ask why they are late and did not apply before 30th June?

Davidfami
Newly Registered

Post by Davidfami » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:52 pm

kamoe wrote:
Davidfami wrote:

I thought I already explained that. I sent money but have very few receipts. They also live in my home back country.

Davidfami
Newly Registered

Post by Davidfami » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:53 pm

Davidfami wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:52 pm
kamoe wrote:
Davidfami wrote:

I thought I already explained that. They are dependent on me. I sent money but have very few receipts. They also live in my home back country.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:17 pm

Davidfami wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:39 pm
You have not. Sending money in itself does not mean they are financially dependent on you. You could have sent them occasionally cash gifts.

Rule of thumb for the caseworker will be to ask, what would happen to them if you stopped sending money? If they would be able to afford their basic needs without your help then they are not dependent on you; if they wouldn't then they are dependent on you.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:17 pm

Davidfami wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:45 pm
She has issued her pre-settled approval letter on 30th April 2021.
Good.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:18 pm

Davidfami wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:48 pm
kamoe wrote:
Davidfami wrote:

Will the visa officer would not ask why they are late and did not apply before 30th June?
They wouldn't be applying late. They are applying under different conditions.

Davidfami
Newly Registered

Post by Davidfami » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:09 pm

kamoe wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:17 pm
Davidfami wrote:
You have not. Sending money in itself does not mean they are financially dependent on you. You could have sent them occasionally cash gifts.

Rule of thumb for the caseworker will be to ask, what would happen to them if you stopped sending money? If they would be able to afford their basic needs without your help then they are not dependent on you; if they wouldn't then they are dependent on you.
Thanks. I now understand what it means. So, in that case, they are dependent on me. But as I said I have found a few receipts here and there. Is there any time scale for how many weeks/months/years I have to provide to the caseworker? I sometimes sent £100 and other times £500 with time gaps. This never meant that I had to prove to someone that they were dependent on me. It was just mutual understanding of what were their needs and how long the money would last. I need more clarification on this, please.

Davidfami
Newly Registered

Post by Davidfami » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:13 pm

kamoe wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:18 pm
Davidfami wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:48 pm
kamoe wrote:
Davidfami wrote:

They wouldn't be applying late. They are applying under different conditions.
Ok. But is there any deadline even for these kinds of conditions? Is there any indication of how long this route would remain open? I was in a bit rush. I thought it could end soon.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:20 pm

Davidfami wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:09 pm
kamoe wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:17 pm
Davidfami wrote:

Thanks. I now understand what it means. So, in that case, they are dependent on me. But as I said I have found a few receipts here and there. Is there any time scale for how many weeks/months/years I have to provide to the caseworker? I sometimes sent £100 and other times £500 with time gaps. This never meant that I had to prove to someone that they were dependent on me. It was just mutual understanding of what were their needs and how long the money would last. I need more clarification on this, please.
I have never done this myself nor have I particular expertise on the matter, but from what I understand the onus is on you to determine how much documentation is enough to proof their inability to meet their needs without your support. The Home Office isn't particularly known for making this kind of applications easy, and I would not be surprised if no guidance exists for this (but I invite anyone who knows otherwise to please share any leads).

From a purely personal perspective, I would send all receipts I have, plus also anything that proves that their local source of income is insufficient, or proof they don't have any income, etc.