ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

College for a Tier 2 dependent

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MoulayChalal
Newly Registered
Algeria

College for a Tier 2 dependent

Post by MoulayChalal » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:49 am

Dear Moderators,

I hope you are doing well. I am on Tier 2 (General) and my wife is on PBS dependent visa. We have been living in the UK continuously for the last 3 years. My wife is interested in joining a +19 level-1 course at college. However, since we both have "no recourse to public funds", we are worried about it and we would be grateful if you could please help with the following.

* Is joining Further education college free based on her circumstances? Is there a loan involved and do we have to pay it back?

* Is applying for support for our daughter nursery at college and transport a breach of Public Recourse?

Thank you in advance for your help and support and we look forward to hearing from you soon

Moulay

secret.simon

Re: College for a Tier 2 dependent

Post by secret.simon » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:45 am

MoulayChalal wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:49 am
* Is joining Further education college free based on her circumstances? Is there a loan involved and do we have to pay it back?
I doubt it will be free and I doubt there will be a loan for it.

I suspect (and I could be wrong) that not only will it not be free, but your spouse will be charged the higher Overseas Student rate.

When I was on my initial work visa, I did a part-time post-graduate course, for which I was charged the full Overseas Student rate, in spite of me being resident in the UK and paying taxes here. Mind you that that was a Higher Education course and the rules for Further Education courses may be different.

The UKCISA site suggests checking with the FE College directly.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.