ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Sponsorship

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ms1993
Member of Standing

EU Sponsorship

Post by ms1993 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:37 pm

Can my husband (on a spouse visa) sponsor his cousin on a non EU passport to come into the U.K. for a short period from an EU country?

secret.simon

Re: EU Sponsorship

Post by secret.simon » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:41 pm

For a visit visa or for a different type of visa?

Keep in mind that the requirements for EU Settlement Scheme apply to EEA citizens only, not everybody resident in the EU.

Is the cousin in the EU on a visit visa there or on a non-visit residency visa?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ms1993
Member of Standing

Post by ms1993 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:45 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:41 pm

Keep in mind that the requirements for EU Settlement Scheme apply to EEA citizens only, not everybody resident in the EU.

Thanks for responding Simon. The cousin is in the EU as a spouse of an EU passport holder but holds a non EU passport - I’m not sure exactly what the visa term is. My husband actually holds a non EU passport too.

ms1993
Member of Standing

Post by ms1993 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:48 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:41 pm

And yes for a visit visa

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:58 pm

ms1993 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:48 pm
yes for a visit visa
In that case, I don't see why your husband can't sponsor his cousin. The cousin will still need to meet all the requirements of a visit visa, such as a stronger connection to his country of habitual residence than to the UK, etc.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ms1993
Member of Standing

Post by ms1993 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:08 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:58 pm
ms1993 wrote:
yes for a visit visa
In that case, I don't see why your husband can't sponsor his cousin. The cousin will still need to meet all the requirements of a visit visa, such as a stronger connection to his country of habitual residence than to the UK, etc.
Ah right understood yes. I thought that he may not be able to as he himself has a non EU passport and also is on a spouse visa too but I’m guessing that shouldn’t be an issue providing all other requirements are met.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:36 pm

ms1993 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:08 pm
secret.simon wrote:
ms1993 wrote:
yes for a visit visa
Ah right understood yes. I thought that he may not be able to as he himself has a non EU passport and also is on a spouse visa too but I’m guessing that shouldn’t be an issue providing all other requirements are met.
Yea noting issue once the visit visa requirements are met.

ms1993
Member of Standing

Post by ms1993 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:45 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:36 pm
ms1993 wrote:
secret.simon wrote:
ms1993 wrote:
yes for a visit visa
Great stuff. Thanks. Would it be a sponsorship letter or an invitation letter? Is there a difference?

Also, once his cousin arrives into the U.K., would she then be able to sponsor her brother from a non EU country?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:37 am

ms1993 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:45 am
AmazonianX wrote:
ms1993 wrote:
secret.simon wrote:
ms1993 wrote:
yes for a visit visa
Great stuff. Thanks. Would it be a sponsorship letter or an invitation letter? Is there a difference? Invitation letter goes with visit visa while sponsorship has do with longer term visas like job or spousal/family route visas. Note this is my layman statement with no reference to any HO guidance note.

Also, once his cousin arrives into the U.K., would she then be able to sponsor her brother from a non EU country? If "she" mean the person who entered the UK on invitation and a visit visa, it does not work like that.

ms1993
Member of Standing

Post by ms1993 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:11 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:37 am
ms1993 wrote:
AmazonianX wrote:
ms1993 wrote:
secret.simon wrote:
ms1993 wrote:
yes for a visit visa
Great stuff. Thanks. Would it be a sponsorship letter or an invitation letter? Is there a difference? Invitation letter goes with visit visa while sponsorship has do with longer term visas like job or spousal/family route visas. Note this is my layman statement with no reference to any HO guidance note.

Also, once his cousin arrives into the U.K., would she then be able to sponsor her brother from a non EU country? If "she" mean the person who entered the UK on invitation and a visit visa, it does not work like that.
Great stuff once again. So just to make sure I’ve got this, invitation is for short term visit / tourism, and sponsorship is for long term stay / further family settlement applications.

If ‘she’ enters the U.K. with the sponsorship letter and with a view to remain in the U.K. as per EU settlement, would she then be able to call her brother over or is it the same response as above?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:57 pm

ms1993 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:11 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:37 am
ms1993 wrote:
AmazonianX wrote:
ms1993 wrote:
secret.simon wrote:

Great stuff once again. So just to make sure I’ve got this, invitation is for short term visit / tourism, and sponsorship is for long term stay / further family settlement applications. Correct.

If ‘she’ enters the U.K. with the sponsorship letter and with a view to remain in the U.K. as per EU settlement, would she then be able to call her brother over or is it the same response as above? Sponsorship letter will not get her into UK, its the successful application that gets her into UK.