ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name Change in the UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

n8net
- thin ice -

Name Change in the UK

Post by n8net » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:51 am

Hi,

Apologies, I have asked this questions year ago, but unable to find that thread. so Mods, do not be upset and forgive me.

My wife entered UK with her home country passport under her maiden name and now got her ILR last year.

However, her home country passport had expired years ago.

Now she wishes to change her name to married name and also make a spelling change to her first name.

How about she can do this and will it have any impact if and when she decides to apply for naturalisation and British passport ?

She now wants to renew her home country passport under this 'new version' of her name too, any reason anybody could think of it is not a good idea ?

Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance/suggestions.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Name Change in the UK

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:48 pm

Not an expert on this, but Deed Poll is normally the procedure. Check here: https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll
But I would check first to see what your home country requires to recognise a name change made in a foreign country.
For a British passport HMPO require that the name on a foreign passport agrees with the naturalisation certificate, in order to have same name on a new British passport.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.